Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2007, 04:00 AM
    Social Security Benefits are exempt from Levy
    For your information about Social Security Benefits

Safe from Garnishment

Federal law makes Social Security benefits exempt from levy, garnishment, and assignment- 42 USC 407(a) states. "In general the right of any future payments under this sub chapter SHALL NOT be Transferable or assignable. AND NONE of the moneys paid or payable or rights existing under this subchapter shall be subject to execution, levey, attachment, garnishment, or other legal process, or to the operation of any bankruptcy or insolvency law".

This means that even if a creditor or debt attorney, collection agency has a judgement against you they CAN NOT garnish your SS payments nor can they take the money from you after it has been paid to you; for example, the portion of your bank account that is attributable to your SS benefits is EXEMPT from LEVY OR ATTACHMENT

Check out some similar questions!

Judgement for Social Security Disability Benefits [ 27 Answers ]

I am on social security disability benefits and it is the only income I have. If a credit card company has a judgement against me can they take my disability benefits, personal belongings, or home or lien on home to repay debt? What can they do to collect the debt?

Social Security benefits exempt from levy, garnishment [ 25 Answers ]

For your information about Social Security Benfits Safe from Garnishment Federal law makes Social Security benifits exempt from levy, garnishment, and assignment- 42 USC 407(a) states. "In general the right of any future payments under this sub chapter SHALL NOT be Transferable or...

Regarding Social Security [ 3 Answers ]

Call me new. Because I'm far from Social Security, however my father isn't. He just received his first check from the Social Security Office. He asked me if he is able to continue to work, or must he be unemployed to receive Social Security. Question: Can you have both a working income and...

Social security benefits [ 6 Answers ]

My husband received a :p fully favoriable decision on SSDI not ssi. He has worked since he was 17 years old. Anyway he is disabled and ssa award his disability to him July 27, 2006 and it is know October 19, 2006 and he has not received nothing from them. He is suppose to receive 4 years of...

Social security benefits [ 2 Answers ]

I turn 63 next April, but expect to continue working until I am 65 in April of 2010 (I expect because of the laws I will have to actually work until the end of 2010. I am toying with the idea of filing for my social security benefits when I turn 63, and then just putting the money away. I have a...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search