Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2007, 03:00 AM
    How to make IE6 my default browser
    I uninstalled FF on a laptop I'm giving my parents so they can use the IE6 they're used to... but I think FF is still stuck as default browser, as I put a shortcut on the desktop and it has the FF logo.

I can't find a setting anywhere - and MS site only gives instructions for pre IE6...

How do I force IE6 as the default browser and get rid of these FF references?

Thanks!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2007, 03:07 AM
    Open Internet Explorer
    On the top toolbar, select Tools >> Internet Options
    Click the "Programs" tab
    Place a check mark in the box: "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser"
    Click OK and close Internet Explorer
    Next reopen Internet Explorer, a box will appear saying "Internet Explorer is no longer your default browser, would you like to make it your default?"
    Click "Yes"
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2007, 03:10 AM
    After NKs you could uninstall Firefox? If it's going to do nothing but clog up the system :)
    thePard Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2009, 05:32 PM

Why would you uninstall Firefox?

It is less likely to be hacked has fewer popups and runs faster.

Hopefully, you went to the sites that give you the free versions of Zone Alarm, Spybot Search and Destroy, and the Free AVG antivirus... Then you can turn off MS security and be much happier
    sridharan0106 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2012, 03:28 AM
    Tools-->Internet Option-->Programs-->Mark(Tick) Tell me if internet explorer is not the Default Browser.Apply and open Ie it will ask to set r not Ie as default browser.Clik Yes.

Got It

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to make acrobat reader the default pdf reader [ 3 Answers ]

I've recently has some problems with Acrobat Reader which led me to install Foxit Reader making that my default pdf reader. Now, I 've resolved the problem with Acrobat Reader and managed to reinstall it successfully but I can't get it to be my default pdf viewer. What should I do?

IE6 won't display .PNG pics [ 1 Answers ]

:mad: :( hi all I'm usnig IE6 on my win98se OS. It does not display .png image. Please give me the soloution. Thanks & regards Manu

Reload ie6 [ 4 Answers ]

My I.E 6 was corrucpted. I tried to reload the IE 6. again.I.E browser come up the screen but cannot surf the net. Message My Search- Sorry! We couldn't find the page you requested. İMy Search 2002 . I got no problem to use Mozilla to surf internet with my PC but I still need the deem I.E to do...

IE6 First Page Very Slow [ 2 Answers ]

OK, this has been a long battle, and I'm looking for back-up. Windows network, 2003 servers, Windows 2000 workstations, all with SP4 and IE6-sp1 installed. Every workstation has all updates available from MS. A few workstations function normally. Most are experiencing the problem stated, that...

Can't get graphics with IE6 [ 6 Answers ]

Lately I have been unable to have graphics display using IE6. Photos come out OK but the graphics leave a white box with a red X in the middle. I have reloaded IE6 with SP1. Any suggestions as to what may have changed? This problem has only manifested itself the last 3 weeks or so. Thanks!

View more questions Search