Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mingo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 09:57 PM
    Double Health Insurance
    Is it legal to be covered by more than one health insurance policy? Right now I am covered be an HMO. Because of the care I am receiving (or lack of care I am receiving), I would like to also be covered under another insurance policy to see different doctors. However, I do not want to give up certain aspects of the insurance I already have.

Thank You!
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 24, 2007, 10:02 PM
    No lots of people do it. Usually when they and their spouse both have insurance threw their job. It' ensures that all the bills get paid and all the extras, are covered. From what you are saying though, a preexisting condition will not be immediately covered, (6 to 12 months). And the premium will be sky high.
    Mingo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 12:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3046
    No lots of people do it. Usually when they and their spouse both have insurance threw their job. It' ensures that all the bills get paid and all the extras, are covered. From what you are saying though, a preexisting condition will not be immediately covered, (6 to 12 months). And the premium will be sky high.
    Thanks for your response,

I am new to this site and I am not sure if I am replying to this in the correct way -

According to my insurance broker pre-existing conditions are immediately covered. I hear what you are saying about the cost. Fortunately my husband and I own a company and we offer 2 different health insurances for our employees so on one side of the coin it would just be a co-pay premium. As the owner of the company, we would be paying double for me for the companies portion that we cover for our employees. I wanted to get outside information before I spoke with our insurance broker because I want to use both insurances that are offered basically from the same company. I hope I am making myself clear!
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 25, 2007, 12:23 AM
    Actually, I am a little confused. But no matter it is true that as long as there has not been a lapse in coverage, pre-exsisting should be good. But your broker is really the one to ask to be sure.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2007, 07:22 AM
    You can pay for and own as many health insurance policies as you pay for.

The trouble is that normally when you do, all of them will refuse to pay.
    What happens one has to be primary and the others would not pay until the first refuses to pay.

We often sell two or three polices to some people. You may for example have a major medical with a high deductable maybe 5000 or 10000 decutable, and than own a small hospital policy to pay for hospital and ER for the amount under.
    As long as your agent properly arranges the policy it works very well.
    No two policies will pay the same bill on normal hosptial or major medical.

Also what many have are accident policies, or in-hospital income policies, that pay in additoin to their other insurance.

But normallly pre-existing conditions are not covered unless you are buying a group health insurance policy. This is normally covered by specific state law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No health insurance [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, My boyfriend just recently had an accident where his hand went through a glass pane. He ended up tearing three tendons. This required one night of hospital stay and surgery. He then has to go to rehab for it. Unfortunately, he was just cut off his parent's insurance, and so he does not...

We have no health insurance [ 5 Answers ]

My husband has diabetes he is 59 yrs old unemployed as I am presently. Neither one of use have health insurance, I have high blood pressure and we are non-smokers. Is there any health insurance we can buy out there?

No health insurance [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend just recently discovered a lump. He has no insurance and needs to get a biopsy done right away. He cannot afford the costs, is there any way or anyone to help?

Health Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have never bought private medical cover, critical illness insurance, Loss of earnings insurance, etc. I know that there is various advice and Web sites to help you lower your car insurance, but what, If any, facilities exist to help you shop around for these other types of insurance?...

View more questions Search