Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2007, 07:10 PM
    Tennis Ball Obsession
    I have a female yellow lab who will be five in November. She is utterly OBSESSED with tennis balls (any ball, really, but mostly tennis balls). We did not encourage ball play when she was a puppy, she's always been this way. I'd like to know if there is any way to break or reduce this obsession.

Some more info: When she sees a ball, she gets to excited she quivers and whines. She plows through anything to get it once it's been thrown. She has narrowly missed trees, fallen down hills, knocked people over, and nipped people's hands trying to get the ball before it is thrown. If you don't throw the ball she drops it at your feet and pounces on it, which knocks it askew and often into brambles, down hills, into trees, etc. She has impaled herself on sticks while running like a maniac after a ball, causing belly wounds (not so bad they need stitches). She swims in circles whining if the ball she had sinks, and the only way to get her out of the water is with a decoy ball on shore. She chases anything that is round. Since she was a puppy she has not been allowed to have a ball in the house, as she will drop it at your feet, in your lap, where ever she thinks you might throw it or kick it; and she won't sleep, eat or drink if she has one.

Other than the ball thing she's a great dog. She's obedient, well-behaved with a great personality. She's good with kids, other animals and all-around friendly. I honestly can't complain about her in any way other than this ball obsession.

I know the obvious answer might be, "Don't let her have any balls" but it's not that easy. My mom has two dogs, my cousin has one and they are all ball-dogs too, though not as bad as her. We often get all the dogs together to walk in the park and play (oh, and she gets a 30 - 45 minute off-leash walk everyday, rain or shine), and it's not fair to say, "Oh, your dog can't have a ball because mine is a psycho!" Usually she's really obsessive when we first get together; trying to get all the balls at once, ignoring comands; but sort of relaxes after a while and only goes for her ball. She still never quite makes it back to the well-behaved dog who listens to commands as long as she has one, however.

I know this post is long, so I thank anyone who made it through! Any advice is welcome!
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 24, 2007, 07:21 PM
    I have no suggestions but she might be a puppy from my dog lol. Just a sample -- came home from work dead tired, took a 2 hr nap and when I woke up there where 7 tennis balls lined up along side me on the couch.

She knows where every ball is in the house, and always has one or 2 in her food dish.

The odd part was -- her first ball she just picked up at a friends house -- she started herself with them. -- Savage
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2007, 07:55 PM
    Ooooooh! Make sure the damaged ones are promptly discarded in a secure place. If she starts to ''skin'' one, take it away. You may be able to finish skinning it and let her have it. I don't know what it is with them and tennis balls. Perhaps the fuzz seems like rodent fur. What does surprise me is how long a tennis ball will last a dog that will destroy a rubber squeaky toy or stuffed one in minutes.
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Apr 25, 2007, 09:28 AM
    LOL, it sounds like you have a wonderfully amusing pet, I don't think I would do anything about it except make sure you carry some extra tennis balls with you at all times.
    *mental picture* Of yellow lab with a tennis ball tied to the front of him by stick and string so it dangles in front of his nose. Now that would make funniest home videos!!

I only wish my dog was so amused with tennis balls rather than my cats :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

About obsession [ 2 Answers ]

Hi "ask me", One of my friends is suffering from a mental trauma. When he is alone,he starts getting the feeling of being contaminated.Till the last year, he was not so particular about his hygiene but during these days he is excessively concerned about that. I think that he still can be cured...

Baby Obsession! [ 9 Answers ]

I am a 22 year old newly wed. I have never really wanted to have a child until recently because I feel way too young to have one and Im still in college. My husband doesn't want a child for at least 5 years. But recently I have 2 friends that have had babies. Ever since I have saw the babies I have...

Tennis Anyone? [ 31 Answers ]

Take a break from posting. You must keep the ball up in the air. My highest score is 4:mad: http://tinyurl.com/a3pe8

Tennis [ 1 Answers ]

What are the official dimensinons of the tennis court

View more questions Search