Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hebes Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Apr 24, 2007, 03:00 PM
    Water leaks when the shower is turned on.
    Hi, Water is beginning to leak from somewhere when we turn the shower on. If we turn the water on just to fill the tub, there is no leaking; only when we turn the shower on. I see no leaking from the faucet behind the wall to about a foot down inside the wall. The grout is all new on the walls and around tub. The leak starts immediately. Where could the water be coming from? If it is a major job, will homeowner's insurance cover it? THANKS! :)
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 24, 2007, 04:53 PM
    It has to be in the shower feed line.

Apr 25, 2007, 06:31 AM
    Thank you for answering! Would you know if this will require me to remove some of the tiles behind the shower to find the leak since I cannot see anything beyond 12" down through the handle area? How far down does this feed line go? Can it run under the tub and into the ceiling? Thanks for your help!
    bikerguy Posts: 87, Reputation: 13

Apr 25, 2007, 07:17 AM
    The shower feed he is referring to is from the valves up to the actual shower head. Can you access it from the rear as its easy to patch drywall , hard to get through tiles grout!

Sounds like a connection didn't get glued in the wall to the head!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 25, 2007, 07:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hebes
    Hi, Water is beginning to leak from somewhere when we turn the shower on. If we turn the water on just to fill the tub, there is no leaking; only when we turn the shower on. I see no leaking from the faucet behind the wall to about a foot down inside the wall. The grout is all new on the walls and around tub. The leak starts immediately. Where could the water be coming from? If it is a major job, will homeowner's insurance cover it? THANKS!!:)
    The other experts are correct when they place the blame on the shower raiser. The pipe that runs up to the drop eared ell,(see image) the chrome shower arm scews into. However before you go to mthe expense and hassle of tearing anything up I would pull the chrome escutcheon plate away from the tile and peek back where the chrome shower arm screws into the drop eared ell to see if there's any moisture after the shower runs. If there is I would unscrew the shower arm, tape the threads with Teflon Tape and check again. Let me know, Tom
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 25, 2007, 12:05 PM
    Start from the top at the area Speedball showed then work down. Also a big positive going through the back of the shower instead of tearing out tile.

Apr 25, 2007, 07:57 PM
    Thank you to everyone who has been a help to me! With furthur investigation, and to my luck, there was no major problem found! My dad came over today and we simply started checking out the spout and we found a crack in the plastic housing where it screws onto the main pipe! We replaced it and everything is in great working condition! Such a small thing but caused much havoc! Thank you again for everyone who has taken the time to help me in this matter. Jude

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water runs through sprout when shower head is turned on [ 1 Answers ]

My bathroom shower exhibits this peculiar behavior. When I turn the shower on, water runs through the spout (as expected). As soon as I lift the divertor up, water flows from the shower head (as expected). However, at the same time, I do see fairly decent flow of water continue to run through the...

Shower leaks after it is turned off [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem where after taking a shower and turning the water off the floor on the outside of the tub/shower enclosure has water on it. The side of the tub is NOT wet as if the curtain was not in place correctly. This has happened twice this week. The house is only three years old. The lever...

No water pressure when shower turned on [ 1 Answers ]

When faucet is turned on in tub the pressure is great. When the shower is engaged the pressure decreases rapidly.. makes a gurgling sound and completely stops coming out. We have not had anything done to our bathroom, except that I took off the shower head to clean it of lime & rust build up, but...

Shower Head leaks [ 1 Answers ]

Here is an interesting problem. When I draw a bath for my children, water runs from the shower head. I have replaced the entire mechanism which distributes the water to the shower head and the bathtub spicate for the 3rd time. I have tried removing the spicate so that only the pipe was...

New PriceFister shower leaks [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a complete Price fister shower about 6 months ago and now it is starting to drip. It has a center control for hot/cold it's cold that is dripping, Where do I look for adjustment? Behind the control knob is a enclosed casing with four screws, in there? Does it use washers?

View more questions Search