Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snoopy7477 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2005, 10:35 PM
    Yes I called my dealer. My car has 48,000 miles on it and it isn't covered since the warrentee ran out at 36,000! I know this problem is so easy to fix, it's just that Honda won't give their wiring diagrams away!

Thanks for the help though...
    suzvan7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2005, 03:07 PM
    Same problem!
    Ugh! I'm having this same problem with my 03 Accord. I cannot believe Honda isn't doing anything to fix this problem when the part is clearly defective. My dealer wants to charge me $800 to fix it. I don't even want to pay $400, much less $800.

I have a call in to the service manager. I'll try to hash it out with her, but my warranty is out (I'm at 2 1/2 years and 52,000 miles.) How frustrating! I never expected this from Honda!

Susan in Texas
    YouGottaBeKidding Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2005, 10:36 AM
    Another one bites the dust...
    My main motivation for posting this reply is to reaffirm that this is a wide spread problem among 03 Accords. Since I have gone through the trouble of signing up, I might as well share my experience as well.

I called American Honda about the problem and as of today 11/17/05, there is still no recall; no surprise there. I now have a case pending on the matter and I can assure you that I will be on pins and needles until I hear back.

I would suggest that anyone who comes across this post do the same thing. I don't expect that it would lead to a recall, but, at the very least, Honda will have to spend the time it takes to document the case and possibly even follow up with you.

Here's the number: 800-999-1009
    You will need your VIN prior to calling.

Good luck to you all, I'm getting XM.
    askmebahadir Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2005, 01:29 AM
    Same problem with radio and console lights
    I have the same problem with radio and lights of the console. I think it happened when I turned the ignition key on while the engine was running already. If some of the other members also had the same event, it might be a good step towards the solution.

I don't think the problem with the console would be solved when the radio is changed. However, I realized this after the dealer ordered a replacement for the radio of my 18 months old Honda accord EX. I would pursue more tomorrow.

Take care all...
    h0nd4-0wner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2005, 02:16 PM
    Re: 2003 Accord EX V6 - Radio Backlight Problem
    Update: I had my radio replaced on Nov 8th. My dealership only charged me the agreed upon $79.00 for the labor. I'm sooo happy to have to functionality back again... driving without it really sucked!
    I'm also pleased with my dealership... Bankston Honda in Lewisville Tx.
    Good luck to all!
    Renee199 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2005, 09:22 PM
    Radio lighting problem
    Has anyone had any luck getting this resolved without paying a lot when your vehicle is out of warranty? If so what did you do. This is rotten of Honda I would have never thought this would come from them. I have always owned a Honda and this and the transmission recall is making me nervous about buying another car form them. Does anyone have the copy of the service Bulletin that Honda had out regarding this issue? If so can someone e-mail it to me. Thanks

Nov 22, 2005, 12:04 PM
    Just called American Honda
    My car has 63000 miles and it is 2 1/2 years old, I called American Honda after I read all the e-mails and was furious. They are being totally cool they are replacing my radio free of charge and my car is completely out of warranty and they never asked if I always get my car serviced there. I called one dealer, and he wasn't helpful where another was. Just bypass the dealers and call American Honda,they will help you, Thank God.
    dgainer1 Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Nov 25, 2005, 02:46 PM
    Insanity
    I bought my 2003 Honda Accord EX 3 months ago with 35,400 miles on it. I did not buy the extended warranty due to Honda being so reputable, therefore I felt I did not need it. Of course now the backlight on my 6 disc CD changer/center console does not work and I am now over 36,000 miles. I found this problem to be quite common after reading all the above posts! How disheartening! I tried to call American Honda as suggested above and they are closed until Monday. (It' the day after Thanksgiving.) I then called the dealership where I purchased the car and they said they would charge me $95 labor and their cost on the replacement part, but they couldn't determine what part needed replacing over the phone. The parts manager told me that it is one of 3 components that needs replacing and the cost is anywhere from $400 to $800 at THEIR cost. Diagnosis of the problem is an additional $45. I am going to call American Honda on Monday to see if I have any luck getting this covered through them. My car only has 41,000 miles on it. I wish I had known about this problem prior to buying my car. Hopefully Honda will do the right thing and stand by their product. I will let you all know what happens.
    shaun29 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2005, 07:19 PM
    Same problem as everyone else
    Wow, I had no idea this was such a widespread problem. Much like everyone else, my 2003 Accord EX display went dark a few days ago. I spoke to the dealer and Honda Canada. I should suggest that they read this site as they said that my problem was quite unusual and unique. I too am beyond my warranty and my extended warranty doesn't cover this.
    Any suggestions for someone in Canada (Ottawa)? Has anyone got Honda Canada to acknowledge the defect or found a dealer willing to replace the unit?

Thanks

Nov 26, 2005, 07:36 AM
    This is a huge problem and not a new one, here are 2 other sites of chat rooms that have a lot of the same problem http://www.car-groups.com/board/nextpost/29523/0 and tryhttp://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_79...key_/tm.htm#82
    Try calling your main Honda headquarters in Canada.American Honda is the Mainone out here and they helped me a lot and my car had 63000 miles try calling american Honda maybe they can give you a number in your area 1-800-999-1009. Good luck
    shaun29 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2005, 09:45 AM
    Thanks for the note
    Thanks Renee, I'll follow up on your suggestions and let you (and the group) know how it went.

Cheers.
    realtorduc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2005, 09:33 AM
    03 Honda backlight problems
    Call Honda of America and insist that they replace your radio. They will try to deny your request but be persistent. I did it and you can to. First take your car to the dealer. Ask them all information on how they can fix it and ask for the serviceman name and remember all the bull**** that they told you. Call Honda of America and tell them what had happened at the dealership. The person at Honda of America is super patient so you must be extra super persistent to get it your way. Do not hang up without getting a case number. Insist that this is not your fault and that it is a common problem. Tell them that there is a bullentin issued by Honda about the problem. Remember that the person at Honda of America will still insist that they can not help you. They will ask you various questions. Tell them this is your 2nd or 3rd Honda. DO NOT GIVE UP. Repeat your problems and concerns and insist that you love Honda vehicles and that you believe in Honda will do the right thing for you. Be patience with them until they finally give you a case number and write it down. They then will contact your local Honda dealer where you had brought your vehicle in where they claim they can't help you. Give them the number and name of the serviceman. Within a couple of days, Honda dealer or Honda of America will contact you to schedule a replacement for a new unit FREE!! Don't worry that your car is in warranty or out of warranty. It does not matter. Just believe that Honda is at fault in this issue. It can take up to an hour to insist that Honda is at fault so if you are not patience and persistence with them, it won't work. Believe me if you persist it will pay. Good luck and congratulation on your new unit.
    jaydolph Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2005, 07:51 PM
    Honda Accord Radio Backlight
    I have the same problem with the 2003 Honda Accord Backlight. This seems to be a problem with Honda Accord across the board. I have owned Honda accords since 1984. I trusted Honda for the quality and at present I am very disappointed. Honda wants 370 dollars to repair my radio. One thing for sure they have lost a loyal customer. What happened to standing behind your product? I would like to start a letter writing campaign to Honda. I am starting a campaign. If you are interested in participating to make Honda stand up to its name. Just send your name, email address and the year of your accord to [email protected].
    I will compile a list and articulate a letter with customer concerns and complaints and forward it to Honda of America.
    Please assist me --I will keep sending the list at least until I get a response.
    There is power in numbers.How would Honda look if we told everyone how they do not stand behind the product. :(

Nov 30, 2005, 10:45 AM
    American Honda Follow UP
    I called American Honda and spoke to a representative. I explained to her what happened with my backlight problem and informed her that it happened within the first 90 days of buying my 2003 Honda. I also told her I was aware that there is a service bulletin regarding this problem. I requested that Honda repair this at no cost due to the frequency is which this is occurring. She was VERY nice, and assigned me a case # right away. She told me a case manager would be contacting me within 48 hours to discuss my claim and asked me which dealership I would be taking my car to for repair. I will be waiting for their decision, but based on my conversation with the representative I believe Honda will be replacing my radio at no cost. I will advise when I have this confirmed. Good luck to all of you still working on a solution for this problem. I hope this works out the way I am hoping it will, not only for me, but for all of you. For those of you who do not have the American Honda number from one of the above posts, here it is again. 1-800-999-1009. You will need your VIN when you call. Good luck!
    Paul C Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2005, 08:00 PM
    Center Console lighting problems
    I bought my '03 Accord EX Oct '02. Apr. 2004 at 27,000 miles the lighting in console went out. The dealer replaced it because it was still in warranty. Yet again, Sept '05 at 71,000 miles the same thing. This time they made me pay the Honda cost of $127.08 for the radio. Supposedly they fixed the problem. Tonight my accord wouldn't start (maybe starter) at 74,000 miles. Honda is not winning my allegiance. My '90 Civic didn't have these kinds of problems.

Dec 3, 2005, 09:07 PM
    Honda came through
    Honda contacted my dealer, and they called me to inform me that they will be replacing my radio at no cost! They ordered my new 6 disc cd changer, and they will call me when it comes in to schedule an appointment to replace it. I am SO happy this worked out! Who has the extra money, let alone at Christmas time, to spend on something that shouldn't have happened in the first place? I am impressed that Honda handled this the way that they did. I met with no resistance when I requested the free replacement, and they got back to me within 24 hours with their decision. The only thing they asked me to do prior to making their decision was to take my car to my dealer to have the dealer document the light was in fact out. After having done that, the dealership contacted me the next day to let me know the part was going to be covered under "warranty" even though I was over 40k miles.
    My concern after reading the above post is that this may happen again! If it does I will install an after market stereo and be done with this, but hopefully it will not come to that. Merry Christmas to you all. CALL HONDA! They will help you.
    mpopeskov Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2005, 10:15 AM
    Honda is making profit out of bad design
    I bought Honda Accord, model EX, in April 2003. The problem that occurred a few days ago was that backlight of Clock/Radio/CD/Climate display went off. Every component of the unit works properly, but I cannot see information on dashboard.

I called my dealership and they told me that just to determine what is the problem, what I already could see, I have to pay $95.00 + tax. I told them that this is too expensive for something so obvious, so they told me to come to service and they will look that for free and give me options what I can do. Next day I went there and they even didn’t try to look my car. Instead the service advisor told me that because car is out of warranty I have to pay $1200 to get whole unit replaced. It looked to me they already had these cases and they knew what was wrong.

Because that option sounded to me very stupid (paying $1200 just to get light), I called customer service for Honda Canada. After listening to complain she immediately told me that I have 2 options. To pay $1200 for replacement or to get unit refurbished for $300. Again she sounded like somebody who already came across the problem. I told her that I found on different forums tons of people with the same car and the same problem, and that it was obvious that something is wrong in the design of that unit when it requires replacement/refurbishing of the whole unit just because of light. That would be like selling $300 lamp that has to be replaced when bulb gets broken. So she took VIN of my car but she told me that she could not open the case until proper diagnostic is done on my car. She called the service and they told her they did visual check, but for diagnostic I have to go back and pay $95.00 + tax. After that Honda may pay me part of repair to get that light back.

I am very disappointed with my experience with both Honda customer service and Honda dealership. They all know there is a system problem with the radio unit in the car but instead to fix it, they choose to make profit of it. I understand their motivation to act like that but on the end they will just loose one customer and I hope I can persuade somebody else not to buy their cars.
    Paul C Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2005, 06:54 PM
    A little negative publicity??
    I wonder if there are any TV stations that would be interested in picking this up, referencing this web site. Sometimes local stations are interested in consumer stories. I think that would get some attention and it would alert people in general about the problem. Or, I think Money magazine has a section for issues like this. Again, it would make it more public, perhaps motivating Honda to take care of its mess.
    mpopeskov Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2005, 09:41 AM
    Honda knows about faulty radio
    I found that Honda knows about the problem with the radio in all Accords 2003 and in some Accords 2004. They issued Service Bulletin in July 2004 that describes the problem. But they also decided not to inform owners of vehicles about the problem. Instead they wait for the problem to occur and if the car is in the warranty they would accept the cost of the repair, and if it is not they would consider to accept the cost, at least in USA.
    honda2327 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2005, 08:21 PM
    Possible answer to your radio problems
    :D I read on another forum that you may can get your radio fixed for FREE!! If you call Honda af America (1-800-999-1009) and make a claim a radio replacement They will replace your radio for free. I'm going through it right now and should have a response soon! You will need to take it to your local dealer and get a radio replacement price, call that number, give them the diagnosis, vin #, proof of purchase, and a little other information. They will let your know if they will do it or not. It's worth a shot!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/C problems on 2003 Honda Accord [ 21 Answers ]

The a/c on my 2003 honda accord will all of a sudden stop blowing cold air. I already had the filter changed thinking that was the problem. The mechanic is having a hard time figuring out what is wrong with it because everything checks out good but seems to think it could be a sensor or...

2003 Honda Accord [ 2 Answers ]

My radio lights just stopped working. Cannot see any controls on the cd, radio, or air conditioner. Was wondering if any one might no what the problem might be. The radio works fine and everything else is fine, just don't have an illumination.

Clunking sound in Honda Accord 2003 [ 1 Answers ]

I drive a 2003 Honda Accord LX (with 33K miles on it) and I have recently found that on city streets, when I am driving below 40 mph, the car suddenly develops the nasty habit of making clunking sounds on the driver side. The clunking sound is periodic and sounds as if something is stuck in the...

Honda accord 2003 picture [ 2 Answers ]

I am searching for a picture of a Honda Accord 2003 white or silver color and white leather inside, might have some body kits or something. Please help

Honda Accord 2003 [ 0 Answers ]

Hey there I am looking for a picture of Honda Accord 2003 white or silver color with white leather inside ?

View more questions Search