Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srodriguez919 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 09:45 AM
    Lives in NJ and works in NJ and in NY, how to tax
    Hi,

I have an employee who lives in NJ and will work from home 4 days a week and then work one day in the office in NY. How do I tax him? I say he should pay both NJ and NY taxes. Accounting is stating no, he is a NY employee because he has a desk and computer in the office in NY, therefore just NY taxes need to be come out.

Please help!

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 9, 2007, 01:06 PM
    I agree with accounting. He is a NY employee and will HAVE to pay NY taxes (though a phone call to the NY tax authorities would NOT hurt and may prodice a different answer).

If I and accounting are correct, withhold ONLY NY taxes, as the credit given by NJ for NY taxes paid will completely offset any NJ taxes owed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What a beagle eats and where it lives [ 1 Answers ]

What do beagles eat and how do they obtain its food? Also what are all the countries territories, states etc. where a beagle can be found, and what type of land which it lives on such as marshy mountains desert etc.

Ms works database to ms works spreadsheet [ 2 Answers ]

Have tried copy/paste but I get a message stating "make sure the destination area is as large as the info you wish to paste" .Anyone help please?

Cdn independent contractor works in you.S-tax exempt? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a Canadian and hold TN visa works in the U.S. MI since last Oct.2005 as an independent contractor. I live in windsor Ontario Canada and commute everyday across border to work at MI. My payor did not hold any tax from me, and he asked me to file a form 8233 because of the treaty...

Lives in New York works in New Jersey [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Can someone help me with a tax question ? Here goes: I work in NJ but lives in NY. MyFederal wages and NY wages are the same... lets say $57,440.45. My NJ wages is higher than both... let's say $$58,536.35 On the NJ1040NR, what wages goes under the column "Gross income from...

View more questions Search