Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    intendedsighs Posts: 46, Reputation: 7

Apr 24, 2007, 08:24 AM
    Don't want to be a working Mom.
    I don't even know what sub category I was to put this in...

I've had a lot of things on my mind, as you can probably tell by my posts. That's only some of it. One thing though, is the fact that I don't want to be a working mom. However, it's ineffitable that I'm goign to need to bring in SOME sort of income, because my fiance may end up paying child support, and I have a car to pay off, plus, once we have children, we'll need more (because everyone knows how much money peple put into having children, lol) plus, you know the everyday costs. We want to be able to get a house, but right now, we're only creditted for about $117, 000...so we're probably going to wait a year or so to do that. However, we may have a child before that happens. We're moving into an apartment the first of June, getting married a month later...but my issue is, I dont want to be a working mom, and I dont want to have to put my child(ren) in daycare. I want to be there while they're growing up, etc. SO I had this idea that I would have a mini daycare at our place, and just have 3-5 other children to take care of (which I've taken care of up to 7 little kids at one time), that way I could be in my own home and watch my children grow, etc. Is that a good idea? Then they other thing is, I wanted to start it near the beginning on Sept, because that's when most older kids go back to school, it's a specific time, but I think it's a good idea to stay with the job I have now, that way I can get the paid maternity leave once we have our first, which could be from January to whenever next year...and then start the mini daycare...what would be the best thing to do in this situation. I know if I did that, I'd have to have someone watch my child for at least the two week notice...

When would be a good time to start something like that? Is it a bad idea to do it in a 1350 sq feet apartment to begin with until we got a house? I dont want to have to wait until next summer...that'd be too much time away from a newborn. That's just how I feel anyway. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could start something like that and when the best time would be?
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2007, 01:37 PM
    Hi, I am so glad you want to be home with your babies. I am a stay at home mom, and I also do daycare. It is rest time right now, so I have a little free time to get on the puter. Anyway, Just make sure that if you do a daycare, get your baby old enough to where you know you can handle other children. Mine are all older than four years but I really enjoy kids and love taking good care of them. I would have started daycare way before this but did not need to. I think once you are comfortable with your duties as a mother, you might want to try two other kids, and if it goes well and you can give them the attention that they need, then bring on another. I see nothing wrong with that. I only want you to be comfortable with it, or the kids won't like it very much. Good luck and it might be a good idea till you get your own house to have kids, just so you know that you have gotten that far and it is taken care of.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2007, 01:43 PM
    I think that is a great idea. You need to make sure it won't violate your lease with your new apartment complex, though. Some apartment complexes don't allow daycares to be run out of their property. You would also want to get proper insurance and licensing (maybe that is the wrong word - my home based babysitter got something official stating she had fire extinguishers and socket protectors and she knew child CPR, etc.)
    intendedsighs Posts: 46, Reputation: 7

Apr 26, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by startover22
    Hi, I am so glad you want to be home with your babies. I am a stay at home mom, and I also do daycare. It is rest time right now, so I have a little free time to get on the puter. Anyway, Just make sure that if you do a daycare, get your baby old enough to where you know you can handle other children. Mine are all older than four years but I really enjoy kids and love taking good care of them. I would have started daycare way before this but did not need to. I think once you are comfortable with your duties as a mother, you might want to try two other kids, and if it goes well and you can give them the attention that they need, then bring on another. I see nothing wrong with that. I only want you to be comfortable with it, or the kids won't like it very much. Good luck and it might be a good idea till you get your own house to have kids, just so you know that you have gotten that far and it is taken care of.
    Dont get me wrong, I may be young, but I've had more experience with children than the average 20 year old. I've been taking care of kids since I was 6 in the Philippin es living in a baby home. I'd help the women take care of the babies. I was very mature for my age, still am, and sometimes it sucks. However, I've also babysat 4 boys before, the youngest was not even 1 yet, and I was only 13...PLUS among the numerous babysitting jobs I've had including daycaring for a local church, I was a live in nanny...so I'm all about the kids. I know how to handle them. Even the...unruly ones. Hehe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My mom and Step mom in hate! [ 6 Answers ]

My mom and step mom are not getting along. It all started with a stupid gift card! Out of all things. My card only had $3.45 on it and my brother only had $.19 on his. The cards were soposed to have $20.00 on it. My mom and step mom live one house away from each other and then they just get into...

Working Mom vs. Deadbeat Dad [ 7 Answers ]

I am a working mom, attending school fulltime and custodial parent of 4 daughters. I receive less than half the state minimum child support from father whose income is solely what he makes selling fodder at local flea markets. We are currently scheduled to return to court to amend the settlement...

My mom [ 2 Answers ]

Well I love my mom with all my heart I never really fight with her and she helps me out a lot.well I have been giving her a heard time and stuff because of school and boys and stuff like that. Well today I found out that there is something wrong with my moms heart. She says that everything is going...

Potty Training Shih Tzu - Working Mom [ 3 Answers ]

I just got an 11 week old Shih Tzu 3 days ago. I am a teacher and we have been out of school all week because of a huge ice storm in the Midwest, but come Monday I will have to go back and the puppy will be alone for several hours. I live only about 3 minutes from my school so I can come home at...

Help for Mom [ 2 Answers ]

My family seems to be going in three different directions when it comes to religion. Both my parents are Jewish, so I was raised Jewish but was baptized into the Lutheran church about 6 months ago. My father has explained his belief as that "an intelligent life force created the universe and then...

View more questions Search