Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vicksters Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2005, 08:56 AM
    B&S Lawn mower sqweals
    I have a Briggs Sprint 3.75 engine on my mower. I was mowing my lawn, hit a rock and the thing just started making this horific noise. I don't know anything about fixing a mower but follow instructions pretty well. Can someone help?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2005, 02:32 AM
    Umm, well take the mower, drain the gas, no need for that with the oil. Take the mower and put the handle to the ground so the mower is on its back wheels while holding the flywheel brake, make sure the plug wires disconnected and check and make sure the crank spins without any wobble, and I mean none!! And that it doesn't drag while holding the stop lever, now if the crank wobbles you'll have to get the crank professionally bent back or buy a new one. If it sounds like the flywheel brake doesn't let the flywheel rotate, the brake may have fallen off or screwed up somehow. Now how big of a rock was it?? Was it a metal like noise or engine noise?? Not saying but the blade could have also hit the rock just right to make the blade hit the deck.
    Vicksters Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2005, 07:44 AM
    Thanks Briggs, I'll check it out. The rock wasn't more then an inch in diam. The blades are hitting so I'll check the crank.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2005, 02:43 PM
    Yeah do check it out, may be the crank is bent, they can be bent back but get a pro to do it if you are not sure how too. But it may have bent the blade, I've seen it do that as well. What is it on, a murray, mtd etc. some blades are thinner or thicker depending

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman lawn mower [ 1 Answers ]

My father has purchased an old lawn mower for restoration. The model # is 1318430. He thinks it is a Craftsman. Anyone know where to find a picture or details.

Mtd riding lawn mower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi every one I have a very old mtd riding lawn mower that my mother gave me but it keeps throwing the drive belt. My mother thinks that the way she was putting the belt on is wrong does any one know how the belt should go on its about a 1986 model mower.

Lawn mower help [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 18.5 poulan pro 42" 2 years old. It will start but no matter what I do it kills, like hitting the kill switch. If I let out the clutch, even in neutral it kills. Engage blades or anything it kills. And the weirdest thing is that the kill switch in the seat doesn't kill it. I really...

Looking for new lawn mower deck [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1993 Sears Craftman riding lawn mower 43" "Steering Machine". I need a new mower deck. Sears does not support after the mower is 10 years old. AYP made the original deck but they don't offer. Seems part of the issue is 43". The tractor is in great shape just need a new deck. Any...

View more questions Search