Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thetransporter Posts: 10, Reputation: -1

Apr 24, 2007, 06:49 AM
    My dad and his infections
    Hi I am asking about my dad who is 75 years old he is disabled.
    He suffers from Ascites Liver decease decompensated 2 degrees: He is in remission from alcohol for about 4 years, however he has oedema of the stomach.
    He is constantly getting urine infections where he is losing all awareness of his surroundings.
    Anitbiotics such as cefalexin and trimethoprim are no longer working or only lasting about 2 weeks before the next attack.
    He appears to be blocked going to the toilet not being able to pass a stool before the infection gets into full gear.

Can anyone tell me what's going, is there any thing I can do to push doctors to help him.

Does anyone know how many infections per year is normal?

Cheers Frank
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 24, 2007, 07:09 AM
    It is very interesting that many of the questions that come up are relavent to exactly what I am currently studying. I am now studying, and about to take a test on, the GI and GU systems. And this includes the liver, ascites, etc. So, I will try to help.

I have not been taught the decompensated 2 degrees, but I will try to help you understand the rest.

Ascites is an accumulation of fluid within the peritoneal cavity (roughly the belly area) that results in venous congestion of the hepatic capillaries (capillaries in the liver) this leads to plasma leaking directly from the liver surface and portal vein.

So that would most likely be the cause of the edema in his stomach.

You say that he is sober from alcohol for 4 years. Was he a heavy drinker? For how long? Has his doctor mentioned cirrhosis?

You say that he is getting urinary infections. Is his urine dark?

The antibiotics you name are good antibiotics, but it seems that he will need something stronger. Ask his doctor if they feel that vancomycin or gentomycin, or neomycin would be appropriate in this situation.

You may want to ask if they feel that lactulose is indicated as it decreases the production of ammonia by bacteria in the bowel and facilitates the excretion of ammonia.

There is no magical number for "normal" when it comes to infections, particularly for one in this condition and of this age.

I hope this helped you a little.

Apr 26, 2007, 02:05 AM
    Alcohol liver infections to member J_9
    Hi to everyone and member J_9

I do not know the ask me .com protocol in how to say thank you buth thanks anyway.

Re my dad:

He was drinking around 100 units of various alcohol/per day for about 44 years before his relapse:

I can't get a straight answer about chiross of the liver in his conditon:

I have cared for him with my wife for 10 years now: but I am worried about these constant urine style/types of infections that keep happening now every 20 days:::

The infections appear to be getting more ferocious for him each time:

I am concerned that the antibiotics will no longer be able to do their job due to becoming resistant to the strain of the infection:

Can you come in on this please with some advise.

Thanks frank++++++
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2007, 02:11 AM
    I have sent a message to J_9. When she sees it, she will respond to your post.

But, it may take some time for J_9 to respond. Please be patient. We are not all one the same daytime here on this site.

If you look at the member's list in the upper right corner of this page and click on it, you will be able to find the information that you need to contact someone on this site. Just takes some practice in doing that.
    Expert

Apr 26, 2007, 04:02 AM
    Frank, to get you started, scroll down after you read this... See the box that says Answer This Question? Well, just type your response in there and then click the button that says Post Quick Answer. You will then have all your questions and answers in the same thread.

Now for your question. You say 100 units of alcohol per day. I am not exactly sure how much you mean. I guess you are not in the U.S. Maybe some of my friends out there may know this conversion.

It does sound though like he very well could have cirrhosis as alcohol destroys your liver and your liver aids in detoxifying your system.

You should very well be concerned about his urinary infections. Now, for a rather personal question. Does your father have a foley cath inserted in his penis to aid in urination? The reason I ask is that this is a very common source of urinary infections.

You have the right idea about the infection and the antibiotics. Does he take the entire course of antibiotics? Or just stop after the symptoms go away?

Understand that under certain laws, and I am not sure about your country if you are not in the U.S. But the doctors cannot discuss medical diagnoses with anyone other than the patient unless there is written permission from the patient themselves. So, you may want to have your father sign a consent form so that his physicians can discuss his conditions with you. This may be the reason you are not getting straight answers from his doctors.

Back to the antibiotics: You should discuss the use of stronger antibiotics with the doctors.

Please keep me posted.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2007, 04:05 AM
    We use units in the uk to measure alcohol consumption, 1 unit is a half pint of beer, a small glass of wine, a shot, etc. It's 10 ml of pure ethanol. 100 units is a lot...
    Expert

Apr 26, 2007, 04:09 AM
    So he was drinking 50 pints a day!? :eek:
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2007, 04:10 AM
    That's what he said.
    Expert

Apr 26, 2007, 04:15 AM
    OMG!! :eek:

It is truly amazing that your father is still alive if this is the case. I am certain that he does have cirrhosis now, and possibly many other ailments causing his current state of health.

Have you considered a second opinion with another physician?
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2007, 05:20 AM
    My father would drink 24 cans of beer 440ml in each can a day, plus what he used to consume in the pub average of 4-5pints of beer and 6 60ml shots of vodka.
    At home was where he drank the cans and also would do a half bottle of vodka as well as everything else.
    His dr told him he had 6 weeks, 6 months, 6 years she couldn't be sure as what was killing him was also keeping him alive although true to her word 6 weeks later he died. He was 53.
    He had been comsuming that amount on a daily basis for 7 years and he never ate in the end either.
    My heart goes to you it really does xx

It's a horrid way to watch anyone torture themselves especially when they won't ask for help.

Apr 27, 2007, 03:59 AM

Hi guys thanks for the comments and the prognosis

Dad was drinking 15 pints of beer/Cider/Guiness a day: 1 750ml bottle of Rum: 2 to 3 bottles of Red wine:

I detoxed by force 5 years ago by watering the wine down with blackcurrent juice, the beer and cider I used a fizzy apple drink... the worst was the spirits which was a hard fight.

Dad did have a Catheter for 4 years but has had it taken out 18 months ago...

He now survives drinking 100% alcohol free Lager Calibre by Guiness:

Any help on these infections would be great.

How many are allowed for someone at 75 each year my Doctor seems P... d off that he keeps having to give anti-biotics... Is it ethical to survive on Anti-Biotics our Doctor is making us feel guilty..

Love to everyone ask me help deskers

Frank
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2007, 04:06 AM
    I would be asking for a second opinion to be honest I was always led to believe that constant use of anti biotics would mean your body just gets used to them and they no longer work I'm sure j will correct me there.
    It must be so hard for you frank you really do have my sympathy lots of hugs to you xxxx

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitten eye infections - help! [ 28 Answers ]

My 9 week old kitten has developed an eye infection in his left eye , which emits a yellowish snot stuff- is there a way to treat this from home possibly without having to go to a vet and pay with money I don't have? Any and all help would be more than appreciated - thank you!!

Frequent ilnesses/infections [ 7 Answers ]

My 10 year daughter has had very frequent illnesses such as having strep throat 2 times in 1 1/2 months.2 months before that very bad upper respitory infect with broncial spasm also whenever she gets a cut 90% of the time it gets infected. She always finishes her meds. Could she have a underlying...

Chronic Bladder Infections [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: My name is Vanessa and I am 18 years young. My question is does anybody knows what is wrong with me? I have had bladder infection since basically May of this year. I go to the doctor they give me antibiotics and that I go home same routine over and over again. I will take the antibiotics...

Frequent infections [ 9 Answers ]

Hello. I am a very worried mom. My son, who is 19 years old was diagnosed with mononucleosis almost 1 year ago. It seems since then, he catches everything that is going around. Presently he is sick with an oral thrush, has had a fever the last few days, although that has now cleared up, and a...

Useful aspects of virus infections [ 2 Answers ]

Without succes I have searched the internet for studies about useful aspects of virus infections like a lower cancer risk for people who have had some childhood illnesses (chicken pox etc.). Every hint is welcome.

View more questions Search