Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dragonfire24 Posts: 105, Reputation: 3

Apr 24, 2007, 04:47 AM
    Helping my sister get used to a computer
    Just as the title implies, I want to help my sister get familiar with how to use a computer. I don't have the patience to teach her myself, plus we have very different schedules so I would be missing out on something important, like sleep, to show her.

She has had a computer for about 2 years now but still does not know much about it. I was wondering if anyone knows of a web site or a program that I could give to her that would show her how to properly use her computer and programs such as Internet Explorer (So that she can do something worth her time besides wasting it on MySpace).
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2007, 04:51 AM
    Video Professor CD is great for that>
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2007, 04:59 AM
    I know many people who know how to use the computer effectively, and still waste their time on myspace. Sometimes it's unavoidable :)

Apr 24, 2007, 05:33 AM
    Capuchin,

Your absolutely right. I admit I have a Myspace profile but I don't really waste my time on it. Maybe posted less than 10 times on my blog in a year.

My sister has 2 kids and all 3 of them waste their time on MySpace. I would rather be doing something more creative with my time. At least I have my own website that I designed, created, and maintain(When I feel like it) myself. I think the youngest child might know more about how to work the computer than my sister does and the child is only 8.

I set their computer up and created a wireless network to hook it up to... I spent enough time doing minor cleaning and maintenance to the PC and even added more ram for my sister so it would run better... The sad part about all of this is all the stuff they installed on the PC and its performance is really suffering as of late. They expect me to work on it if anything happens but they don't listen to me about downloading and installing things they don't fully know about
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2007, 05:39 AM
    I find that the best way to learn about using the PC is an inbuilt desire to tinker. I'm sure your kids have this desire, maybe your sister does not. A lot of people are afraid of breaking the computer, and at the same time they do not realise how fragile it can be from downloading untrusted files.

I think it would be worth you to put aside an hour one weekend to walk her through some things. Especially if she has the desire to learn how to use it properly. I believe that the best way to teach her what you want to teach her, is to do it yourself.

Otherwise, there are a number of computing magazines that are designed to help peopl use their applications. But these all require them to have a desire to learn.

Apr 24, 2007, 05:46 AM
    I honestly think my sister should learn how to use her PC. I think that her at least having a basic understanding of what she can do with it and how to do it would help her out tremendously in the long run. It seems like basic computer skills are becoming a nessecity in life anymore. Heck... I bugged my mom for years to buy me a computer... although it never worked. When I turned 18 I received inheritance and the first thing I did was buy an iMac (Still have it, still works.), although my mother was very unhappy about it. If my mom had bought me a PC years ago I would have taken a different path and probably be a lot better off right now. Basically I am saying that I chose to take the Health science field in high school because I had no clue what I wanted to do. I know now that I really love working with computers and learning about them. If I knew then what I do now, I would have chosen Technology instead.
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2007, 05:49 AM
    Oh yes it's becoming more and more of our lives. Everyone's aware of it. Being able to use Google properly, managing bookmarks and e-mails is very important.

I do honestly think that helping her yourself is the best path. Or you could talk to her about signing up for a basic computer skills evening class?

Apr 24, 2007, 05:53 AM
    She tells me she wants to know how to use it, but when I try to show her little things I don't feel like I get her full attention... That is another reason why it is hard for me to show her myself. She plays it off sometimes.. She always says that I am the computer-savy one in the family and says she is no good at it
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2007, 05:54 AM
    I think she's a little bit afraid of the computer? I can understand that it can be intimidating to someone learning how to use it... so many icons and menus..

Apr 24, 2007, 05:58 AM
    Menus, Shmenus... No better way than to dive in. Most of it is pretty straightforward. At least I think so anyway. Now, I wouldn't expect her to learn how to install a wireless network though... That is just an accident waiting to happen. Lol.

I've even thought about locking out MySpace on their PC so they would have to find something better to do. Lol
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 24, 2007, 07:34 AM
    No mention of WHAT she wants to use the PC for. A computer is a tool. A tool that you use to make certain tasks easier. There is almost nothing you can do on a computer that you can't do off the computer.

So you first have to understand what she wants to do. Then show her how the computer can make those things easier, more quick and more fun.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 5, 2007, 10:30 AM
    I would make a couple of checklist, like

To turn on, 1) Push power switch, wait till...
    2) Click on Icon.
    3) Select user name/Password, press enter.
    4) create user name for her emai(give quick demo ofWriting,
    Sending, Reading and deleting.
    5) Warn her that She did not win anything,
    6) The hundreds of millions for helping launder money from Nigeria,
    May or may not be attempt to get info or money.
    7) Surveys and games emailed or from popups, usually are bad idea
    8) Her account is not being suspended unless she enters personal info
    Don't scare her but Warn her.

Set up something like Google earth, and NASA(they have interesting
    Stuff (All Ages)

Close everything out and shutdown.
    Back button and how to search.
    Maybe figure all out ahead of time, make sure checklist work. By yourself
    People easily are intimidated at first. Because of all the questions they have
    People can be bored easily.

Show her how to access(Set her up with user name and password)to
    HTTP://www. Askmehelpdesk.com. And show how to ask question and
    Retrieve answer, put into favorites and acess favorites.
    And DON'T tell her its easy, anyone can do it. Good Luck, have fun
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

May 8, 2007, 10:48 AM
    There are many ways for your sis to learn how to use a computer

One : Libiary's have books on nearly ever program on the computer which may help here get started.

Two : There are many Beginner and Advance computer course she could take and I know that one or two of this may be free to take.

Three : This is not totally recommanded if your Sis can't navigate totally around the internet as this place is still dangerous to work in but there may be some help there.

Four : Just Learn from doing and getting experience that way, The help Menu in each program and for windows can help with this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Helping an abused friend? [ 4 Answers ]

Okay I have this friend and she is a teenager. She is on like her 12th foster parents and her uncle has been beating her for like six or seven years and so she cuts and hurts herself. I want to help her but she always says she will be fine and then starts not talking about it so how can I help her...

Am I Helping or Hurting My Dog? [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I recently adopted a Male Miniature Daschund. Bailey is three months old, and we had had him for two weeks now. He is a lover, and is so sweet.. When we are holding him… We bought a crate for him, and have had him sleep in it at night. Day one and two we had him sleep in our...

Helping discouraged friend [ 3 Answers ]

I would like some suggestions and ideas as to how to help my friend (actually one of my former foster sisters), who is very discouraged and down on herself. She has PTSD like I do, the result of a horrible childhood in the foster care system, although she hasn't had as much success with therapy as...

Helping stop the lies [ 5 Answers ]

I want to stop lying but I need help. I have all these things I made up and I don't want to tell my friends because they will hate me. I know the thing is I should stop lying but I don't want to. Its like I'm addicted to lying. Could it be possible to be addicted to lying. So hears the question: ...

I need a helping word [ 3 Answers ]

I am a CNA and I work for a company, and they are about to close for med fraud, so I am quiting. Here is my problem, I am very close to the people I stay with. I need to know if they quit the company that I work for now before I do Could I stay with them if I get a job with the new company they go...

View more questions Search