Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JacobHenderson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 11:33 PM
    I was part of a closed Adoption
    I am trying to find a direction or path to take to find out more about my Birth-mother, birth-father I have waited 21 years to find out who they are and it is a closed adoption I just would like to know the path I need to take to find out who they are thank you Jacob
    BusyJ Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 06:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JacobHenderson
    I am trying to find a direction or path to take to find out more about my Birth-mother, birth-father I have waited 21 years to find out who they are and it is a closed adoption I just would like to know the path I need to take to find out who they are thank you Jacob
    I have an older sister and an older brother that were given up for adoption. I posted all the information that I knew on different web sites that put adoptees with family members. I figured if they were looking I would find them. I did find my sister in about 6 months after the first post. My brother is still out there. He may not even know he was adopted. Try that first. My sister spent a lot of money on private detectives and they never found her birth mom (my mother). Try the internet, the sites I went to were free and worked for me. Just make sure this is what you want. It is a big decision. Good luck in your quest.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2007, 07:27 AM
    Often there is no way, remember the people that raised you are your real parents, they were there for hurts, to teach you to drive a bicycle and more. Have you discussed this with them, and how they feel about this.
    JacobHenderson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 09:22 AM
    Yes I love whom my parents are now and they are the ones that brought me the information so I am still seeking to find my birth parents chuck:)
    FauxClaud Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Apr 26, 2007, 06:42 AM
    Hi there,
    Since your parents are assisting in your search, I imagine that you have any information that they had received? You will also will want to talk to them and see what they remember. Any little silly facts can possibly help, though you really can't believe everything that was passed on by an agnecy or social worker. In anycase, you will want to start making a list of things you are told.. ie: mom was in art school, dad was army and od irish desent etc.

Then, if it was an agency adoption, go back to the agency. Often some will have search services, or have the files right there too.. and can iniate contact. They can also supply you with your non idenitfing information or direct you to the state agancy that has that. You will want to get your non ID.. as that can have more clues though it will not have names unless you live in one of the 6 states with unsealed original birth certificates. BUT many states also currently have open records legislation in the works too.. so it is a good reason to write your local state reps!

Most states DO have some sort of reunion registry... you will want to sign up with those.. though they do not have really good track records.. so don't stop there! The best and biggest most susseful registrey is the ISRR.. so you definalty want to go there: Also Adoption.com has a good search site.. remember that when you are looking, dates may be slightly off.. or you might find someone who alsmost fits the bill but goes against what you think you know... always inquire anyway!

You can also enlist in the help of a search angels ( list of some here ), or get a PI to help ( Kin solving is one) but many can complete a successful search with out having to pay for it.. so I would advise saving that for a dead end.

WHat is also VERY important is to NOW start reading the stories of other people who have searched and the stories of relinquishing parents. You want to prepare yourself and be emotional ready as you can be for whatever possible outcome may happen. I strongly recommned reading The Girls WHo Went Away by Ann Fessler because the voices and stories of the moms in that book really do echo the emotional feelings of adoption and will help you understand your mother. At 21, ( so a early 80's adoption) her story will have some differnces, but the foundation will be very much the same. Hearing the voices of other adoptees and moms is very helpful.. so try the blogsTaking to other adoptees also will help... Adoptese and Soul of Adoption are great places to get support and understanding.

Google will be your best friend.. there is so much out there and on line now. But the links here will get you into the world adoptionland online.

Good luck.. and try to have no expectations, and be open minded to what you might find... it is not called an rollar coaster ride for nothing. Be prepared for the emotions.. they are al very normal.. though intense!
    lynnfarnham632002 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Where was the adoption taken place? I am loking for the two boys I gave up for adoption. One in 1986 and one in 1984. Both in the state of Maine.
    foreverjerry420 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2009, 12:08 AM

I am looking for my brother where and when were u born

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I was adopted at birth, closed adoption. [ 34 Answers ]

I was adopted at birth in hudson New York 1993. The hospital was Columbia Memorial Hospital in hudson ny. It was a closed adoption. I was adopted in to a family my adopted father is a doctor he works at Columbia Memorial Hospital he has been since before I was born. I am 14 years old now I have no...

Closed adoption [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find my twin who was adopted at birth. I have no information on who adopted her or what her adopted name is. What is the best way to find her?

Accessing Closed adoption records [ 3 Answers ]

I am a 38 yr with three sons of my own, and I am tired of not being able to tell them what nationality we are. I need to know how to obtain my adoption records. Does anyone know of an easy painless way to do this?

Power goes out in part of house w/out tripping breaker Part 2 [ 2 Answers ]

How would I use a voltage tester? Would I go from outlet to outlet measuring the voltage? I've gone around the house and tightened outlets and opened the panel and tightened the screws that were not tight. I haven't seen the lights dim since I tightened everything. Thanks a lot! Gbrown

My thermostat closed up... [ 1 Answers ]

I drive a 94 mitsubishi mighty max 2-wheel drive truck.My engine is a 4-cylinder 2.4liter.It has 93,000 miles on it.My thermostat closed up the other day and my truck started to overheat I was heading home so every couple of miles I would stop and let the truck cool down but I think I still may...

View more questions Search