Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    martinl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 09:17 PM
    Bicycle Theft
    Here's the story. I was at a friends house at a party a couple days ago. I rode my bike there because its just a few blocks away, it's a friends house so I just put it in front of the garage so it was out of sight from the street. After the party I go outfront to go home and my bikes gone. Turns out this guy brad from the party took it to go get a slurpee quickly. He didn't tell me this, I had no knowledge it had been touched until I left. I actually don't even know the guy at all.

I was pretty sure someone at the party took it so I spent the next day phoning around, and I find out brad took it(I don't know he took it to Sev at this point). Nobody knows his phone number and its also unlisted. So later that afternoon I call the cops and tell them he stole it. Police come later that day and ask some questions(I'm actually impressed by their urgency). I know the guy goes to my school so the next day I spent asking people where I could find him, no leads. At the end of the day I finally get some info, Brad took the bike to get a slurpee and it was stolen again there.

He hasn't called me or anything, hasn't called the host of the party who I've been in close contact with, all around done nothing, he's showed no responsibility. As far as I'm concerned he stole it when he went to sev. I told the police this new info also, and that I fell brad is responsible.

my question is am i able to charge Brad with the theft, he was 100% responsible. When I was talking to the police they said they almost never get any calls from my neighborhood, so there was little to no risk of theft where I initially place my bike, the only reason it happened was because this a-hole took the bike without my permission. I live in Brandon, Manitoba if it matters.

Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 23, 2007, 10:01 PM
    Assuming you all all minors, your parents sue his parents in small claims court over the cost of the bike.

You report it to the police, the DA will decide if he gets charged or not depending on the evidence.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2007, 04:58 AM
    Although Brad should not have taken the bike, he may be able to argue that he had permission to, if he asked someone at the party (especially the host) and they said it was OK. After all, how is he supposed to know that the person he asked didn't own it? Which is why you should, in future, make sure to lock your bike up securely, no matter where you are. That way, if he asks the wrong person, when he goes to get the bike there is something to alert him that it might not belong to the person he asked.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bicycle Tire Pressure [ 10 Answers ]

I recently bought a bike and read the tire pressure to be between 40 and 65. This seems high to me as the pressure in a car tire is around 32 psi. In any case, what pressure is best and what determines whether the pressure should be 40 or more up to 65? Thank you, Rick

Bicycle Tire [ 3 Answers ]

I have an almost new (400 mile) Michelin Erilium bicycle tire in which the wire bead separated from the side of the tire. The tire was pressurized to 112 pounds. What woulod cause this failure? :mad:

Theft Under [ 3 Answers ]

I was charged with theft under about 3 years ago and I just found out about the charge when I did a criminal record check what is going to happen, I am innocent.

View more questions Search