Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zeddicus88 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 06:41 PM
    Student Loans
    I plan to move out of my parents house at the onset of this June. I plan to have a job by the end of June until mid August when I will relocate again to campus which I will attend for the next four years. I intend to enroll full time. Is there a way that I can do all this and get a loan for $20000 before tuition and fees and all that jazz is due? ($20000 is approximately what I will need for the first year of college)
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2007, 06:47 PM
    Have you been to financial aid? The loans usually don't pay directly to you, but your university. You have to be registered and all that jazz. Depending on your age, your parents will have to help with the paperwork and income info.

I just finished with my degree. I just can't wait for the payment to start - not.

Apr 23, 2007, 07:33 PM
    I am 18 years old and my parents are both, in my eyes at least, dull as bricks. I just want to be away from them and their financial problems. My mother makes frightening financial mistakes almost daily, has the worst credit probably of anyone in the world and thinks every word that comes out of my mouth is disrespectful. My stepfather has very good credit but hasn't filled his taxes since 2004. We expect the IRS to come drag him away every day.
    Like I said before is there anyway I can get a loan for $20000 without involving my parents?
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2007, 07:42 PM
    I think you will have to live independently of their income for a year before financial aid system will not consider them as the co-signers.

Do you have a school in mind? Make an appointment at the financial aid office. Believe me, your situation is not unique. Have you applied for any grants or scholarships? Your guidance counselor may also be a great source of information.

The armed forces is also a great alternative for college money. I would avoid the Army since you most likely would in the Middle East inside a year, but the US Navy paid for my husband's master's degree (well, a good deal of it) and got me a considerable discount for my degree. I think you only have to sign a 4 year hitch to take advantage of the GI Bill and some folks like it enough to stay in for 20 (like my man.)

There are options, some better than others. A co-worker of mine is taking one class at a time and not borrowing anything. You will find something that works.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 23, 2007, 07:47 PM
    Honestly and saying this as nice but honest, no, there is no one on the face of this earth that is going to loan a 18 year old with no job ( but will try and get one in June) a loan at all, maybe 300 dollars.

You are going to have to first get a job, before you can borrow any money at all. But even your student loans at college and any grants, will be paid directly to the school, and your parents will have to provide them their finicial information and they will have to fill out most of it.

Next of course is get that job and save up while living at home, and then use that to move out.

Apr 23, 2007, 07:52 PM
    I will take your advice and get an appointment. Unfortunately, I don't think the military is an option for me. I am currently fighting high cholesterol, anemia and mild obesity. I have the willpower to do what the military would ask of me, I just don't think that my body would be able to handle the stress.
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2007, 07:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeddicus88
    I have the willpower to do what the military would ask of m, I just don't think that my body would be able to handle the stress.
    Marine bootcamp is really, tough. Navy and Air Force, not so tough. (AF has better quarters and bases, too.)

Get your weight under control and I bet your cholesterol problems will disappear, too.

You might want to find out about local employers as well. I worked for Household Credit Card services and full time employees that were with the company over 1 year could get 80% tuition reimbursement if you were taking a course which they approved, i.e. business, economics, etc. Finding companies like that would be a question for your local state employment office (where you would file for unemployment, etc.)

Apr 23, 2007, 08:01 PM
    But I've already got a job working for my stepdad at his feed store and recently (January) he co-signed a loan with me for $3000. The only hitch is that I'm relocating. Your saying that no one is going to give me a loan that will be used for educational purposes? Would my grades have any impact? I was recently honored by the "Who's Who in National High Schools," I'm graduating on the distinguished plan at my high school, my high school gpa is about 3.8, I'm one person outside of the top 10% of my graduating senior class... Are you really saying there is no hope?
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2007, 08:05 PM
    You have to have collateral to back the loan. At this point you don't even have a job. You got the 3k job because of your step-dad's store.

Have you checked for scholarships at the school you are interested in? I managed to get one that paid for 1 year of tuition only (had to manage my room/board and books) and was renewable depending on grades.

Time to start researching.

Apr 23, 2007, 08:16 PM
    I am going to go to Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, Texas. I am going for a bachelor's degree in computer science. There are very few scholarships and those that there are are all under $1000. Also on the university's website they explicitly say that the scholarships will be awarded based on financial need and the ones for computer science all say that there is no application. I'm competing at the state level UIL Computer Science competition at the University of Texas at Austin in two weeks. Based on fact that I qualified and am competing, I may be awarded a scholarship of $7000. I have already been researching scholarships for a long time now and have applied to many and have only received information regarding an award for one.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 23, 2007, 09:33 PM
    There are a lot of federal and state student loans, but again, they don't write you the check, the give the school the money to use for college.

ROTC is one thing to look at, depending on your health, they offer some good programs, pay for all of your college and give you a small amount to live on ( a little pizza money basicly)
    Dabidosan Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2007, 11:26 PM
    At least try the financial aid office (and explain that you simply don't want your parents involved). You want Federal student loans (Staffords and Perkins). If they turn you down then go to the horses mouth---the Dept of Education, Sallie Mae, or Nelnet. Unfortunately they're easily willing to give an 18 lots of money with little or no credit. But make sure you know your rights and responsibilities. Though it would be great to get a scholarship, the reality is usually slim for even the best students---go the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance and put in the search engine all things that apply to you. Especially computer science---the federal government has announced that there's a defiency in Science and Math for American College students (use this to your advantage).
    meljean75 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2007, 05:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeddicus88
    I plan to move out of my parents house at the onset of this June. I plan to have a job by the end of June until mid August when I will relocate again to campus which I will attend for the next four years. I intend to enroll full time. Is there a way that I can do all this and get a loan for $20000 before tuition and fees and all that jazz is due? ($20000 is approximately what I will need for the first year of college)
    With Federal Financial Aid, You will need to use your parents income (from the previous year) information if you are under the age of 24, unless you are married or have children or any other dependants that you support more than 50% of the time. With private loans, if Sallie Mae recognizes your school you can get a loan based on your credit that you school doesn't certify and you can use this for living expenses. The website is SLM Corporation and the loan type is Tuition Answer loan. Good Luck...
    backtoyoubabe0715 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 12:35 AM
    Can you have your step-dad help you cosign on an Astrive loan?
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2007, 09:46 AM
    Well, you fill out the FAFSA form?it's due by march 15 or around for the fall semester... if you are under 24, a dependent, shoud get student loan from government, maybe grants, depends on how much your parents make.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student loans [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has a student loan that has been in collection for a few years. He is VERY irresponsible with money, and has not made much headway in paying it off. Does anyone know if a student loan can be cancelled after a certain amount of years, or would he have to file for bankruptcy to get rid of...

Cosigner on student loans [ 1 Answers ]

I am the cosigner on my daughters student loans. She has not finished college and does not have a job. How can I get my name removed from her loans?

Getting student loans [ 2 Answers ]

I would be glad if someone can guide me through places/ organisations/ banks that offer student loans to international students without having the need to get it co-signed by a US citizen or greencardholder.

Qualified student loans [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am filling the resident 1040 form and I see a line for student loan interest deduction. Does credit card loans count? I took out some credit card loans while I was on F-1 visa but I paid a lot of interest on those loans last year. Can I take this deduction? Thanks in advance

Student loans [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a way to file bankruptcy on student loans?

View more questions Search