Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sleepygurl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 04:33 PM
    Baby Sitting
    Is baby sitting right for me? I'm 14 yrs. Old & I want to earn money on my own but the only problem is finding someone who needs a baby sitter. I baby sit for my aunt & uncle & they tell me that they'll pay me but when they come home they just forget & I really need to earn some money so that I can show my parents that I'm responsible enough to spend my money on things I need & not that I want? What should I do?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Babysitting is a very good part time job plus good experience for you. Are your parents supportive? A good start is to attend a babysitting clinic where you are taught basics of CPR and First Aid, plus child development and techniques in child care. Sometimes the local hospital will sponsor these classes, or the Red Cross, or the YMCA. There may be other sponsors also for those classes.

Then you can post an ad in the newspaper, make up and distribute flyers, etc. to let people know you are available. Maybe some couple(s) in your church would be willing to get you started. Someone who already knows you. Babysitting for your Aunt and Uncle and not receiving any pay is pretty dirty of them. They know they would have to pay someone else who was not a relative. Your parents should be sticking up for you on that. But family matters get sticky.

Good luck to you! My first job was babysitting, back when 25 cents an hour was big time stuff for a babysitter. Lol.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2007, 04:46 PM
    I think you are being very wise at your age. I started babysitting when I was 10 to make extra money. This is what I did. I checked with the local firehouse to see if they were offering free CPR courses. They did and I took it and earned a certificate in CPR. Parents like that. Then, I put up adds in the supermarkets and passed out flyers to all my neighbors with children, with the info that I had CPR training. Once I started babysitting the kids of those people who responded, word spread around to other parents. It was a nice little business.

Does that sound like a good plan to you? I don't if you can find CPR courses for free but your parents may like your initiative and help you out in finding a course and may pay for it.
    Hottie_2231 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 05:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepygurl
    Is baby sitting right for me? I'm 14 yrs. old & I want to earn money on my own but the only problem is finding someone who needs a baby sitter. I baby sit for my aunt & uncle & they tell me that they'll pay me but when they come home they just forget & I really need to earn some money so that I can show my parents that I'm responsible enough to spend my money on things I need & not that I want? What should I do?

Hey you should get together some of your friends and put up posters and flyers.
    Saying what you can do and how good you are with kids. Some things are CPR,having your own siblings and baby sitting them,loves kids, and you can think of more I bet.

Hottie_2231
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 23, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Your at just the right age for the responsibility. Just do not let any boys try to talk you into shirking the job. [We will try our best lol] -- Savage
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2007, 05:58 PM
    There is even a course you can take, online, for babysitting. Cost is $17.50. I am not endorsing this but just for your information. A real live course is all the better, plus you need the CPR and First Aid.

The online course - BabysittingClass.com training - Get the information you need to handle the challenges of babysitting

The Red Cross Training Program - American Red Cross - Health and Safety Services
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2007, 06:22 PM
    I passed the word through my mother's Sunday school class back in the Ice Age when I babysat. I had all the work I wanted. Take any courses you can get through your community center or scouts and have fun!
    GeorgiePorgie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 10:51 PM
    When I first wanted to start babysitting, I also took the CPR and babysitting courses, but what really helped was being a "mother's helper." If you don't know, a mother's helper is someone who watches the kids while the mom (or dad!) is at home, so that they can get things done around the house, and see that you are responsible and good with their children. I found people to babysit for by sending flyers to my neighbors, and then through word of mouth. Good Luck!
    sher979 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2007, 07:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepygurl
    Is baby sitting right for me? I'm 14 yrs. old & I want to earn money on my own but the only problem is finding someone who needs a baby sitter. I baby sit for my aunt & uncle & they tell me that they'll pay me but when they come home they just forget & I really need to earn some money so that I can show my parents that I'm responsible enough to spend my money on things I need & not that I want? What should I do?
    You should tell your parents to ask you uncle or aunt if you did a good job babysitting or not
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2007, 06:19 AM
    14 is a great age! There are more people out there looking for babysitters than you may think. We live in an area where we don't have any family to help out on "date nights" and are always looking for someone responsible to take care of our daughter. You could post flyers at your local post office or grocery store. Also, you could hand out flyers to neighbors that you know have kids.
    A lot of people think that at 14 - you wouldn't want to babysit - so may not ask.
    Mom of 2 Posts: 449, Reputation: 90

May 30, 2007, 12:46 AM
    I also agree that babysitting is a very good way to make some extra money. CPR training and babysitting courses are a definite plus nowadays, as people will view this as you really having the best intersts of their child at heart and that you are serious about wanting to babysit and not just about the money. In addition to this, once you do get the jobs, do things with the children such as reading to them, doing crafts and not just popping a movie in. Children talk to their parents about the things that they do with their babysitters and have more of say than you realize when it comes to who the parents will call back again and again and again. This was one thing that I did with the kids that I babysat when I was your age and was why I was more successful with getting more babysitting jobs than the rest of my friends. My friends did not do this. Bring more quality to the job that you perform and you will be highly sought after!! Talk with all of your parents' friends in the neighborhood and offer them a slight discount just for trying you out. Of course, make them aware that you are providing them with a one time discount just for giving you a chance and let them know that if they like your services that you will be charging them a different rate when they call you back. Post flyers in all the places that are near your home, but word of mouth is really the best way to promote your "business". Good luck to you!!
    monkeylover07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2008, 12:11 PM
    I am also trying to get into babysitting. But I know how to get the word out. You can hand out flyers, talk to relatives that live nearby (that you know will pay), and talk to people you know with children. What you can also do is, once the mail is put in the mailbox, put your flyer in there with it. Here are some ideas on how to get the word out.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2008, 12:28 PM
    It is illegal to put flyers or anything in the mailbox. You can put them anywhere BUT in the mailbox.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you get an STD by sitting on a toilet? [ 4 Answers ]

I think I have an STD( Gonorrhea or Chlamydia). So every time I go to pee, I pee like a girl cause I don't want to take a chance and infect the toilet seat, after I am done I clean the whole toilet with soap and stuff, so can you get an STD by touching the urine on the toilet or by sitting on the...

Baby strange illness. Whole body of baby get harden [ 9 Answers ]

My brother's baby boy 4 months old got a strange illness. He had blood tested, brain scanning, lung checking etc. Everything is normal. But the baby boy got an unpreditable "body harden" illness. That is when it happens, the whole body of the baby get stiff and he can not move, can not cry... We...

Sitting with seniors [ 1 Answers ]

I HAVE AN ASHI APPROVED CERTIFICATION CARD 3 TO BE EXACT 1 FOR BLOODBORNE PATHOGENS , 2. FOR BASIC FIRST AID 3. FOR AUTOMAted external defibillation can I get a sitting with elders job or something like that kind of work .

Pet Sitting Business [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I are opening a pet sitting, pet walking, doggie day care business. Can anyone suggest a great name for our business. Thank you.

Why am I always be sitting on the bench a lot? [ 5 Answers ]

Hey, I'm new and oldcoach I have a question. Why am I always be sitting on the bench a lot? I'm 15 years old and I'm a sophomore and I been playing basketball for three years and this is my 2nd year playing J.V. girls basketball and I play small forward and guard and I really need help on my...

View more questions Search