Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buckeyechris Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 04:16 PM
    Credit Card settlement
    Hello my name is Chris and I have had a credit card most of my life. We have used it to live off due to lay-offs and remodeling our home. I have recently found that we are unable to pay the large balance and the large monthly payments are just about impossible to pay. Should I just stop making the monthly payments to the company and try to settle on a lower amount of the balance and possilbly risking a bad credit score or just bite the bullett? My husband and I do have an excellent credit score so I really don't want to hurt that if I don't have to but, I will just to get this outstanding balance off our backs. Do you think they will settle with me or will they just demand their money and end up taking us to court for the full balance? I would like to avoid that at all cost if possible. I was going to offer them ten thousand instead of the full balance of eighteen thousand. Please help me go in the right direction. I just want to make this right and make it go away at the same time. Any good advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Apr 26, 2007, 10:48 AM
    If you can lower your household expenses and make the payments, I would do so. Some sacrifice now will avoid bigger pains later. I hope this is what you mean by "bite the bullet".

If you've over-extended yourself and it's simply impossible to make your monthly minimum payment, I would contact the card company and see what they are willing to do to help you until you can resume the regular monthly payment. If your credit is otherwise very good, they may offer you some flexibility.

I have my doubts that they would accept 55% of the balance as a settlement and let you walk away. If it seems you have the assets or income, they are more likely to pursue an aggressive collection action against you instead.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which Is Better Debit Card Or Credit Card? [ 20 Answers ]

Which Is Better Debit Card Or Credit Card? We increase our Debts like any thing when we have Credit Card because we spend /buy the goods with free hand / shopping habits, in this case will it not be a better to keep a debit card instead of a credit card? :confused: What are your views on...

No credit. Need suggestions for selecting a credit card with low APR [ 2 Answers ]

Hai, I don't possess a credit card till now. I am planning to buy a car by applying loan. My friends advised me that if I pay my loan premium using a credit card, it would help building my credit history. They also told me to look for 0% APR (any such offer for the first year) or less APR to...

Credit card debt settlement overseas [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I recently joined a debt settlement program that has good customer feedback on forums and favorable ratings from the BBB... however, I am worried that I will be sued before my debts are settled ($38000 over 24 months). And it is complicated by the fact that I took a job overseas for an...

Credit card [ 2 Answers ]

Why would a credit card company offer to take a settlement of $4,700 on a debt of $29,000?

I Need Credit Card [ 2 Answers ]

I Need Credit Card To Purchase Some Books

View more questions Search