Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    needdiyhelp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 02:42 PM
    Replacing fireplace tiles
    I bought new tiles to replace the old tiles in front of my fireplace, which is on floor level. The new tiles are thicker than the old tiles, so that the wood floor is not as high as the tiles, making it impossible to grout along the edge with the wood floor. Should I break up the concrete slab that already exists to lower the area where the tile goes? And if so, what is the best way to do this without damaging the wood subfloor? Thanks for your help.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 23, 2007, 06:00 PM
    Breaking up the slab is way more work than most home owners would tackle. How would it look if you bought or made a thin Oak beveled strip to create a transition up to the tile. A bit like going fom tile to carpet.
    Beccie Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2011, 07:43 AM
    Here's my suggestion. Use quarter round molding in front of your tile and the floor where they meet up or some kind of wood piece. It will look like it has always been there. Please do not tear up the tile. There are all kinds of sizes and designs in molding take your pick and makeit as you like. Staining the wood to match your floors or color stain even. So much easier and much better looking. Beccie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mirror tiles [ 6 Answers ]

Recently I bought some mirror wall tiles and when I asked how to cut them the Home Depot employee said the only thing I could use was a little red tool with a tiny metal wheel on the end. I've about ruined all of the one package of tiles trying to cut a straight line. I must not be strong enough to...

Reusing tiles [ 7 Answers ]

Had to remove the bottom half of a tiled shower, The tiles came off (too) easy with very little residue on the back. I'd like to reuse them since they are all cut to fit already. Is this OK? How well do they have to be cleaned and what would be the method ? I'm not attempting to reuse the floor...

Painting tiles [ 2 Answers ]

Can I use any other paint on my bathroom tiles other than a secific tile paint

Floor Tiles [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My home is over 5 years old and I would like to install floor tiles, so, my question is, what do I have to do to the old concrete floor before I install the tiles. Thank you, Rhondine

Shower Tiles [ 3 Answers ]

The shower tiles in the shower stall have mildew. Also one of the wall with tiles below the glass shower wall is buckling. The tiles right in front of the shower (once you step out) has mildew and moves a little. Could anyone suggest how I can correct these without breaking my bank. Thanks.

View more questions Search