Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Apr 23, 2007, 10:06 AM
    Debit cards
    Hi all

I was just wondering if it is better to use a debit card when paying bills or would it be better to write a check, I always pay my monthly bills by check but I have heard so much about debit cards I was just wondering I have two accounts one for spending and one for paying bills Just wondering if a debit card would be better if it saves on the cost of reording checks

Thanks
    Slowandeasy
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2007, 10:13 AM
    Just to offer another option: I pay all my bills by online banking. I rarely write a check.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 23, 2007, 11:02 AM
    Debit cards are much easier to use than checks.

In fact I rarely write checks at all. Maybe 2-3 per month. All my regular bills are paid via online banking
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 23, 2007, 11:05 AM
    You don't need two accounts since the debit card is tied to your checking account. Two people, who know what they are doing, have given you good advice. On-line for as much as you can and debit for nearly everything else.
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Apr 23, 2007, 03:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Debit cards are much easier to use than checks.

In fact I rarely write checks at all. Maybe 2-3 per month. All my regular bills are paid via online banking

Is online banking really safe? I quess I worry a lot about Id theft.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 23, 2007, 05:13 PM
    My on-line banking is pretty safe. It works through the banks main frame and writes electronic checks to the vendor. The banks make their computers pretty safe so they don't get robber electronically. Nothing, including checks , is totally fail proof.

Apr 23, 2007, 06:33 PM
    I've been using computer home banking for close to 20 years now. No problems.
    gazelleintense Posts: 175, Reputation: 13

May 4, 2007, 05:48 AM
    I hate writing checks, paying for stamps (cost of which is going up again soon), so I use debit cards and pay online when I can. No chance of checks getting lost in mail which does happen.

May 4, 2007, 06:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gazelleintense
    I hate writing checks, paying for stamps (cost of which is going up again soon), so I use debit cards and pay online when I can. no chance of checks getting lost in mail which does happen.
    This depends on your creditor and bank. When using a bill paying service (either online or by phone), most payees will be paid using EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer). But some will still be paid by check, only one issued by your bank, not you. With my service, payees that I designate that do not have an EFT agreement with my bank can still be paid through the service. The service issues and mails a check in such cases. From there its up to the mails.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 4, 2007, 08:14 AM
    I have used online banking for years, I pay all of my bills online.
    And for the day to day spending I use my debt card. I almost never write a check any more, I have had the same box of checks for almost 3 years.
    multimastery Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 08:56 PM
    I'd definitely say a debit card. It's basically the same as cash - just more convenient! With the electronic tracking capabilities these days, you can easily track your spending from months back. Checks (and other paper forms) are slowly fading in popularity. Just take a look around... we're moving toward a paperless society.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why are the debit and credit entries [ 4 Answers ]

Why are the debit and credit entries in the adjustments columns of the work shhet identified with letters?

Debit balance, debit entries, and credit entries [ 1 Answers ]

This is a silly question I'm sure, and the answer is very simple, but it is driving me crazy... The problem is: At the beginning of the year, The Office Equipment account of Gulf Coast Airlines had a debit balance of $126,900. During the year, debit entries of $23, 400 and credit entries of...

Garnishing of credit or debit cards [ 3 Answers ]

If a judgement is filed against you can they garnish pre paid debit cards or credit cards?

What happens after the debit collectors? [ 1 Answers ]

I haven't made a credit card payment since July of 2005. All three of my credit cards have sent my debit to debit collectors. They (those nasty collectors) call and leave messages several times a week. I have received letters asking for confirmation of the debit, but I have never responded or...

Debit and credit [ 2 Answers ]

What's the diffeent between debit and credit

View more questions Search