Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tonyak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 09:24 AM
    My shower head is leaking!
    My shower head is leaking... the knobs are as tight as they can be. I believe the washer needs replaced.. Do I need to just unscrew the knobs to replace the washers or do I turn the main water off first?
    bikerguy Posts: 87, Reputation: 13

Apr 23, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Is the faucets leaking also? Is it a just a shower? Yes remove the knob and handle body assembly to reach the washers , age of this device?? YES turn off the water as it will spray all over when you loosen the valve body..
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 23, 2007, 10:35 AM
    The water main is first and then the knob. Knobs are frequently held by an obvious screw but some have a plastic cap with the company logo for looks. Pry the cap loose with a pocket knife or other pointed tool. Once the knob is off you should see a hex shaped ring that can be unscrewed to remove the valve body. In addition to replacing the washers put your pinky inside the valve and feel for rough or irregulars surfaces on the valve seat. They could chew up the new washer.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 23, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyak
    My shower head is leaking...the knobs are as tight as they can be. I believe the washer needs replaced..Do I need to just unscrew the knobs to replace the washers or do I turn the main water off first?
    Hey Tony,
    As bikerguy suggested turn the water off to the valve and open it up. I've put up a diagram to help you,(see image). Remove the stem and washer assemblys and change the washers. Now, run something around the seats to
    Check for nicks or rough sopts. If you find any replace the seat or it will tear up the new washer. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Head leaking [ 3 Answers ]

My shower head will not always completely shutoff... it's not the head, it's the valve in the wall. What do I need to do?

Shower Head Pipe Leaking [ 1 Answers ]

I just recently replaced everything in my shower. Everything has gone OK except for the pipe coming out of the wall that hooks to my showerhead. I have PVC coming up to a elbow, then the showerhead pipe connecting to the elbow. It's leaking where the showerhead pipe & elbow meet. No matter what I...

Leaking Shower Head (hot water) [ 1 Answers ]

I've been having a problem with the shower in my basement. The hot water is leaking from the shower head when the hot water is turned off from the knob. It started as a slight drip but now it is a steady stream. In the meantime, I have turned off the hot water connecting to this bathroom as to...

Water leaking out of shower head. [ 6 Answers ]

When I pull the diverter valve up the shower works fine, then I push it down I get a continuous stream of water out of the shower head. If I don't turn the shower on it takes about 2 minutes. For the water to get to the shower head while I am filling up the bath. Could this be a bad diverter valve?

Leaking diverter valve and shower head [ 1 Answers ]

I have a leak in my tenants apt. (2 family house). I do not know when it started, found it when they moved out. Water was leaking continuously from the shower head... the diverter valve knob is missing and if you use a screwdriver, you can "divert" the leak from the shower head to the faucet. It...

View more questions Search