Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dds1128 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2005, 04:05 AM
    Toilet/Washer/Drain in basement
    Hi. I have had continually problems with my toilet (house bult 1960 - could be original toilet - not sure). I have had Roto Rooter out 2 times in 7 years, both times due to clogged sewer line - sewer backed up into basement. My problem is that when I run my washer, my toilet does not flush properly. It is slow and fails to completely drain from the bowl, and in addition, always looks like it is going to overflow (but hasn't so far). Yesterday, I had a new washer installed. Was doing tons of wash and when I was cleaning the bathroom I heard this LOUD gurgle, gurgle, gurgle and opened the lid to the toilet and the water, while maintaining its level in the toilet bowl, was acting like a darned volcano ready to unload!! I am a single parent, homeowner, and when it rains, it pours, and recently, with my house, it has been pouring a lot. I cannot afford to spend tons of money on a new bathroom right yet, but am hoping there is something I can do, myself, to alleviate this problem. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 24, 2005, 06:44 AM
    Toilet/Washer/Drain in basement
    Quote Originally Posted by dds1128
    Hi. I have had continually problems with my toilet (house bult 1960 - could be original toilet - not sure). I have had Roto Rooter out 2 times in 7 years, both times due to clogged sewer line - sewer backed up into basement. My problem is that when I run my washer, my toilet does not flush properly. It is slow and fails to completely drain from the bowl, and in addition, always looks like it is going to overflow (but hasn't so far). Yesterday, I had a new washer installed. Was doing tons of wash and when I was cleaning the bathroom I heard this LOUD gurgle, gurgle, gurgle and opened the lid to the toilet and the water, while maintaining its level in the toilet bowl, was acting like a darned volcano ready to unload!!! I am a single parent, homeowner, and when it rains, it pours, and recently, with my house, it has been pouring alot. I cannot afford to spend tons of money on a new bathroom right yet, but am hoping there is something I can do, myself, to alleviate this problem. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

You have a drainage line that still has a partial clog downstream from your toilet.
    What's happening is that when you washer pump discharges, it does so with great force,(pressure) and throws a lot of water,(volume) down the drain.
    The washer discharge hits a clog and bounces back sending a wave of air ahead of it producing the dreaded "bubble" (volcano) to burst up out of your potty. I can't tell you if the blockage is in the house main, the main to the street, or if you're on a septic system, that the tank needs pumping, but you're blocked up somewhere and your lines need to be snaked. Good luck, Tom

Mar 24, 2005, 09:05 AM
    Thanks... but...
    ... this snaking... who do I call to do this? Roto Rooter (again). I am still under the 90 day guarantee from the last time? I am on a city (boro) sewer line. I have a 16 yo son who thinks toilet paper grows in the backyard. Should I call the sewer authority and ask them to check their line to my house? Is this something a plumber can, will, be able to do? Can I do it myself with an over the counter drain cleaner product (dumped down the toilet)? Many thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 24, 2005, 12:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dds1128
    ...this snaking.....who do I call to do this? Roto Rooter (again). I am still under the 90 day guarantee from the last time? I am on a city (boro) sewer line. I have a 16 yo son who thinks toilet paper grows in the backyard. Should I call the sewer authority and ask them to check their line to my house? Is this something a plumber can, will, be able to do? Can I do it myself with an over the counter drain cleaner product (dumped down the toilet)? Many thanks!
    Call Roto-Rooter back, They didn't get the line completely cleared. Have a heart to heart talk with your son. Explain that the more that goes into a drainage system the more there is to clog it up. And he ain't helping! The problem is in your system and not the citys. Regardless what you see advertised on TV the only way to clear a clog out of a drain or sewer line is to snake it out. Good luck, Tom

Mar 25, 2005, 01:06 PM
    Thanks a ton, again!
    :) Many thanks again. I will call Roto Rooter back!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't find toilet drain in basement [ 5 Answers ]

Builder has exposed drain pipe for shower and wash-out drain against wall for vanity, yet no exposed toilet ring in cement floor. It is all stubbed down for water and air vents, but nothing visible for the toilet. We have drilled holes in the cement where we think the toilet will go with no luck....

When we flush the toilet our drain in basement overflows [ 6 Answers ]

Help! This is our first house , we are broke and our drain on the basement floor is overflowing with sewage when we flush the toilet. My husband tried to snake the drain but could'nt find the hole . I poured that Rid-X stuff down in the toilet . What else can we do? Please helP[ ...

Backup in downstairs toilet-basement washer-outside main drain [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am having (in my opinion) a major plumbing disaster. I have a 2 story house with 2 and 1/2 bathrooms & basement. I have backup in my downstairs toilet (it hasn't overflowed---YET--but pretty close). I also have backup to the tippy top of my washer-which is located in the basement. I...

Basement washer won't drain [ 3 Answers ]

I have a GE washer installed in a basement. The drain inlet is 7 ft above the floor. The specs on the washer says it will drain up to 8 ft. The water does all drain out. I called a GE service. Their repair man came and informed me that the new energy miser pumps in washers are too small to...

Basement Washer/Softener drain running slowly. [ 2 Answers ]

The drain for my Water Softener, Washer, and basement sink sits behind my washer. It is a 2 inch PVC pipe that comes out of the wall, has a visible trap, and stands vertically about 2 feet. The washer drains into the top and the Softener and sink water enter the pipe through a PVC that joins the...

View more questions Search