Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ed Graham Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2005, 06:40 PM
    Water Pressure from Well System Fluctuates
    The flow of water frequently will fluctuate. It will drop some for a 5 or 10 seconds and then resume the original rate. This occurs over a much shorter interval of time than the typical cycle when the pump comes on at 30 PSI to boost the pressure in the tank back to 50 PSI.

Our system is 12 years old. We have a water filter after the pressure tank that needs changing every 3 or 4 weeks to maintain adequate flow.

What are the various most likely explanations for the fluctuations?

(I don't know if mud or sediment has collected inside the pressure tank, but if it has, could that be a source of the problem? I have always assumed that the regular flow of water into and out of the bladder would keep it fairly clean.)
    ------------------------
    Suggestion to reduce duplicate questions: Include a search function on titles to help focus on just the problem of interest.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 24, 2005, 07:19 AM
    Water Pressure from Well System Fluctuates
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Graham
    The flow of water frequently will fluctuate. It will drop some for a 5 or 10 seconds and then resume the original rate. This occurs over a much shorter interval of time than the typical cycle when the pump comes on at 30 PSI to boost the pressure in the tank back to 50 PSI.

Our system is 12 years old. We have a water filter after the pressure tank that needs changing every 3 or 4 weeks to maintain adequate flow.

What are the various most likely explanations for the fluctuations?

(I don't know if mud or sediment has collected inside the pressure tank, but if it has, could that be a source of the problem? I have always assumed that the regular flow of water into and out of the bladder would keep it fairly clean.)
    ------------------------
    Suggestion to reduce duplicate questions: Include a search function on titles to help focus on just the problem of interest.
    When that happens in my area it is usually caused by a low level in the water table. Is there a bypass on your filter that could be kicking in because the filter's clogged?
    Any sediment in your system should pass through the bladder tank and be caught by your filter. Any number of things could cause this. Faulty impeller or pump, etc. Let me know what you find out. Regards, Tom
    Ed Graham Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2005, 07:35 PM
    Surging Water Pump
    The problem turned out to be a ruptured diaphragm in the pressure tank. Looking back on what I have learned over the past couple of weeks, I should have recognised that as the obvious answer.

I had the tank replaced today and the system is working well tonight.

Ed Graham

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No pressure sprinkler system. [ 3 Answers ]

We recently had a sprinkler system installed. We have a well. According to the sprinkler guy, our lack of pressure is not his problem. Is there a way to boost the pressure in the system?

Water central heating system loses pressure [ 5 Answers ]

The central heating system in my 50 year old home seems to be losing water pressure. We thought it might be due to some pipes that were running in a concrete slab and had leaked. We bypassed that, but now the pressure is still not holding. We see no leaks anywhere. Any ideas?

Filling the radiators + high pressure in hot water system... => ? [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, new house to my wife and I... we've had it less than a month and two days ago it was time to turn the heat on. This is an old hot water system, no pump (works by gravity) in a three story house. The radiator in the master bathroom wasn't full, so I tried to bleed it. Just a little air...

How do I increase H2O pressure on well system with a water filtration system? [ 2 Answers ]

Howdy, I would like to know how I can increase my water pressure. My current system uses a well pump with a small pressure tank, and "D" control valve. It then runs through a WATERSOFT filtration tank, RAINSOFT water softner, and on the Hot water side, an AQUASTAR on demand hot water system. I...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

View more questions Search