Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wdixielou Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2007, 08:27 PM
    Change 220 motor to 110
    After I have changed the motor per the diagram on the motor do I have to change the way the cord(plug in) is attached to the motor in any way? Can I just change the plug in to adapt to a 110 outlet?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2007, 02:34 PM
    The 120 volt plug should be different that the 220 volt plug. Each plug is rated for specific voltages. So if the motor needs a 15 amp 120 volt straight blade plug, you need a NEMA 5-15P plug, which is your standard every day plug,and wired accordingly with the hot, neutral, and equipment ground.
    darkmas Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Apr 27, 2007, 07:11 PM
    BTW, be prepared to pay 2X the cost to run the same motor for an equal number of hours. Generally you want to convert single phase 110v motors to 220 when possible, not the other way 'round.

-Bill
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2007, 12:28 AM
    Dark, could you show how a motor will cost more to run at 110 volts?
    shuntripper Posts: 180, Reputation: 8

Apr 28, 2007, 07:06 PM
    Hmm, won't let me agree with TK, but I do anyway. A real reason for stepping up to higher voltages is they pull less amperage to do the same work. True, this allows use of smaller wire but one real advantage is that you get more equipment out of a distribution point. Example: a 120/277V panel can have 16 120W lights pulling 1A each on a single 120V/20A CB. A 277/480V panel can have 36 on a 277V 20A CB. More than double the amount of area lit up. Another reason is big motors would be absolutely humungous (Spelling?) if they had to run on the lower voltages.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 28, 2007, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shuntripper
    Hmm, won't let me agree with TK, but I do anyway. A real reason for stepping up to higher voltages is they pull less amperage to do the same work. True, this allows use of smaller wire but one real advantage is that you get more equipment out of a distribution point. Example: a 120/277V panel can have 16 120W lights pulling 1A each on a single 120V/20A CB. A 277/480V panel can have 36 on a 277V 20A CB. More than double the amount of area lit up. Another reason is big motors would be absolutely humungous (Spelling?) if they had to run on the lower voltages.
    OK same situation you run 2 lines -120 v- = 16 bulbs each x2 = total 32 bulbs -- you would get the same # of bulb on a 240 20 amp breaker -- ohms law -- when you throw the 277 figure in there you confuse the issue for folks that are learning and that is not used in homes. -- Savage
    shuntripper Posts: 180, Reputation: 8

Apr 30, 2007, 07:54 PM
    But you had to actually apply the formula to see if my figure was correct didn't you? And you'll never get me to call a lamp a bulb. I'm not in the habit of speaking down to people. Ignorant people never ask questions, that's how they remain ignorant. And what is so difficult about the concept that the number 277 is greater than 120? It's a real world example. Give them some credit. Ohm's law still works the same way. How many 240V lamps have you ever seen anyway? Ballasts use the greater line voltages, not the lamps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater 110 or 220 [ 10 Answers ]

Looking to buy a kenmore 20 gallon water heater.110 has 2000 watt element 220 has 4000 element.I was told either way they will use the same amount of electric just the 220 will heat up more quick .Is this the case.I ask because sister said she had a 110 dryer once and electric went through the...

220 to 110 [ 7 Answers ]

I'm wanting to run a 110 outlet off my 220 serface unit how do I go about doing this?:confused:

110 vs. 220 wiring... [ 7 Answers ]

I bought a table saw at an estate sale. I got a good deal on it! I noticed after I got the saw home (I looked at it before I bought it, but didn't look close enough) and realized the plug appears to be a 220 plug. This won't work for me as I'm limited to 110; I'm a renter. The plug has 3...

Changing motor from 220 to 110 [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old Sears radial arm saw that I changed to run on 220V from 110V some time ago. I am now in a situation where I don't have easy access to 220V and need to change it back to 110V, but I can't find my manual. I see where the wires connect to the switch, but I don't see where I can move...

Getting 110 from 220 [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3-wire 220V going to my well house. I am wanting to come off the 220 to a 110 outlet. I realize this is not the safest thing to do but it is only temporary. My question is, I know I use one wire so I cut let's say the white wire and connect it to one side of this GFI outlet, Do I connect...

View more questions Search