Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Apr 27, 2007, 04:54 PM
    Well, that comes down to interpretation of the Bible. With each person interpreting it for themselves, you will have many different views. What all the differences are, well that would have to be a totally new discussion.
    DUKE-OF-URL Posts: 23, Reputation: 6

Apr 27, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by -radioactive-
    thanks!
    But just one last question.
    How come there's like so many different kinds of churches?
    i.e Christian Fellowship, Anglican, Roman Catholic, Activist, etc.
    That's a tuff one I think I will let some one else go into that one deeper. I think and I may be wrong that some that think alike just get together and start there own fellowship then before you know it they have a church.

I personally am born again spirit filled I speak in togues and lay hands on the sick... so churches don't believe in speaking in togues but because I do it I can't very well say I don't believe in it.

Here is a site that compares christianity with other religions you may find something there just click on it good luck and God bless :)

Contender Ministries Apologetics, and Information for Christian Contenders
    gymnast6394 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2007, 06:06 PM
    You have to have unconditional love for god. You need to know that no matter what he will always love you and what he is doing is best for you.
    chaplain john Posts: 79, Reputation: 28

Apr 27, 2007, 09:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKE-OF-URL
    thats a tuff one I think i will let some one else go into that one deeper. I think and i may be wrong that some that think alike just get together and start there own fellowship then before you know it they have a church.

I personally am born again spirit filled I speak in togues and lay hands on the sick...so churches dont believe in speaking in togues but because I do it I can't very well say I dont believe in it.

here is a site that compares christianity with other religions you may find something there just click on it good luck and God bless :)

Contender Ministries Apologetics, and Information for Christian Contenders
    Duke you're a wise man... Tackling that one could take a lifetime and then not be finished. Suffice it to say "Let every man work out his own Salvation, with fear and trembling. (Emphasis added mine)
    lfsxthnudie Posts: 26, Reputation: -2

Apr 30, 2007, 06:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lfsxthnudie
    A strong desire to be a member of a cult that likes to tell you how to live your life.
    My goodness you Christians are testy... aren't you all supposed to be good and forgiving, etc. Oh, but that's right, only if people agree with you...
    pretty_in_pink Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Aug 6, 2007, 02:35 AM
    thanks!
    Maybe because of man's eartly desire to lead and man's pride that he knows better that the other makes them build church of their own based on their own belief and understanding of what they think they know... but basically, as long as you know you're worshipping God and praise Him and honor His works, we're on the same page...

The churches differ by ways of rituals, and beliefs...

Some do not Honor Virgin Mary and focuses on God alone or Jesus. Some do not honor the Holy Spirit...

I am a catholic and I, personally,honor the Blessed Virgin Mary, because for me, without the mother, how can a son be conceived, and if God had chosen Mary to be Christ's mother, who am I not to honor her... This has been my belief from the time I learned how to read and write, but if others do not agree with me, I DO NOT INTEND TO DEBATE.

Thanks and God Bless:)
    pretty_in_pink Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Aug 6, 2007, 02:40 AM
    My goodness you Christians are testy... aren't you all supposed to be good and forgiving, etc.? Oh, but that's right, only if people agree with you...
    if you're not a catholic or a christian then please, try not to say anything that misjudge others.

Catholicism's main goal is to be GOD-like, meaning we are HUMANS and we sin too just like others, but for us not to commit MORE sins and not to JUDGE others for the things that they do. And not to carry grudge and LEARN to forgive, LEARNING IS A PROCESS.

Just like any other, We, too were born sinners, and it is only in our journey as christians that we LEARN to forgive, because we're not gifted with the kind heart to forgive instantaneously... But why should we learn to forgive? Because Jesus should be in the heart, and if the heart is filled with anger, how do you think HE can fit in?

If others do not agree, I mean no disrespect. KNOWLEDGE is God's gift, if others have different point of view, by all means, I respect them. Because we're given also the FREEDOM to choose.

May the Holy Spirit be your guide in all the thing that you say and do.

God be the glory!
    danny-zoe Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 04:07 AM
    To lead a righteous life, to love and respect everybody and to trust in God
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Aug 6, 2007, 04:16 AM
    I agree with you danny, we should lead a rightous life, I see you are new here , WELCOME ;)
    motherof3 Posts: 51, Reputation: 6

Aug 6, 2007, 10:28 AM
    What Does It Take To Be A Christian?
    So many churches say different things,
    and I want to know what your opinion is.
    I have a friend who goes to church when she wakes up on time, has 3 children with a married man, tells me that jesus will forgive all sins (Murder, child molester, thief, etc). But preaches to me about not having gay friends because they are the devil, also should give 10% of my income to her church ( I am a single mother of 3 trying to pay bills). Is this what being christian is all about? ( should have started a new question I know)
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Aug 6, 2007, 10:49 AM
    Because everyone does not serve God the same way, some churches belief in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, others don't, in some churches you can take communion and still live a sinful life, in some you cant, but a true church of God will always like up with the Word of God.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 11:00 AM
    My goodness you Christians are testy... aren't you all supposed to be good and forgiving, etc.? Oh, but that's right, only if people agree with you...

There is a difference between being testy and responding to a blatantly rude and unrespectful comment. I am unitarian universalist, and I at leat respect their beliefs, even if I don't choose them for myself...

As for the OP, the reason there are so many different sects of chirstianity, In my opinion, is exactly as others have said... it has to do with the interpretation of the bible and of Christ's teachings. Each one may say that they are the "true" one, but My advice to you is find the one in which you feel like is most at home to you deep in your soul... that will be the right place for you. :) good luck.
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Aug 6, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by motherof3
    I have a friend who goes to church when she wakes up on time, has 3 children with a married man, tells me that jesus will forgive all sins (Murder, child molester, thief, etc). But preaches to me about not having gay friends because they are the devil, also should give 10% of my income to her church ( I am a single mother of 3 trying to pay bills). Is this what being christian is all about? ( should of started a new question I know)
    No, That is not the type of witness we want to be as Christians... Jesus will forgive your sins if you admit them and repent of them... also christians ARE judgmental (ie gay lifestyle) but should not be because it is not up to us to judge... regarding tithing that is an old testament (law) that someone give 10% but after Christ died the laws were abolished and we are now under a "new" system: GRACE... which doesn't require you to give; you should not give out of compulsion but what you feel led to do in your heart. And the answer to your question should be: LOVE that is what being a christian is all about. "LOVE the Lord God with all your hear, soul, mind, and strength AND Love your neighbor as yourself" Those are the two greatest commandments.

Aug 6, 2007, 11:53 AM
    thanks!
    Because some people don't like the uncompromised word of God.

Some don't like that you must turn away from your sin so they find a church that says its OK just to love everyone or don't want to give up their perversions to the join a church that is tolerant to it.

Some think you get to Heaven by the good they do and not by grace .
    Ephesians 2:8-9
    8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

So as I see it people ended up making their own religions so they wouldn't have to conform to the Bible's teaching.

Don't get me wrong they still use the Bible... they just ignore or even rewrite the parts that they don't like.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKE-OF-URL
    Because some people dont like the uncompromised word of God.

Some dont like that you must turn away from your sin so they find a church that says its ok just to love everyone or dont want to give up their perversions to the join a church that is tolerant to it.

Some think you get to Heaven by the good they do and not by grace .
    Ephesians 2:8-9
    8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

So as I see it people ended up making their own religions so they wouldnt have to conform to the Bible's teaching.

Don't get me wrong they still use the Bible ...they just ignore or even rewrite the parts that they dont like.
    You can't say this for fact though. I mean, everyone has different opinions as to what they believe in and wish to have faith in. Who is to say who is right? You can not point at one religion and say they are the wrong ones, the unbelievers, any more than I can point at your religion and say so. What matters is that you have something you believe in. Something to put your faith into. It matters not whether we think the other is the wrong way to God... they believe it is the right way to theirs... and how can we judge them for that? God speaks to us all differently. Just because someone may do or interpret things differently than you would does not make them less likely to get to God... They may look at the way you do and interpret things and think the same thing... I think it is safe to say that most Christian based religions all have the same basic founding concepts. They just have different ways of following them.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 01:24 PM
    It's amazing how people can take something as simple as what does it take to be a Christian and come up with so many answers. The simple answer according to our standard is this:

KJV - Rom 10:9 - That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. -King James Version 1611, 1769

NKJV - Rom 10:9 - that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. -New King James Version © 1982 Thomas Nelson

NLT - Rom 10:9 - For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. -New Living Translation © 1996 Tyndale Charitable Trust

NIV - Rom 10:9 - That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. -New International Version © 1973, 1978, 1984 International Bible Society

ESV - Rom 10:9 - because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. -The Holy Bible, English Standard Version © 2001 Crossway Bibles

NASB - Rom 10:9 - that if you confess with your mouth Jesus {as} Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; -New American Standard Bible © 1995 Lockman Foundation

RSV - Rom 10:9 - because, if you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. -Revised Standard Version © 1947, 1952.

ASV - Rom 10:9 - because if thou shalt confess with thy mouth Jesus [as] Lord, and shalt believe in thy heart that God raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved: -American Standard Version 1901

Young - Rom 10:9 - that if thou mayest confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and mayest believe in thy heart that God did raise him out of the dead, thou shalt be saved, -Robert Young Literal Translation 1862, 1887, 1898

Darby - Rom 10:9 - that if thou shalt confess with thy mouth Jesus as Lord, and shalt believe in thine heart that God has raised him from among [the] dead, thou shalt be saved. -J.N.Darby Translation 1890

Webster - Rom 10:9 - That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. -Noah Webster Version 1833

HNV - Rom 10:9 - that if you will confess with your mouth the Lord Yeshua, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. -Hebrew Names Version 2000

And just for good measure:

Vulgate - Rom 10:9 - quia si confitearis in ore tuo Dominum Iesum et in corde tuo credideris quod Deus illum excitavit ex mortuis salvus eris. -Jerome's Latin Vulgate 405 A.D.
    It seems the all say the same thing, believe in the living Jesus' sacrifice and confess Him as Lord. It's really not too complicated.

Steve

Aug 6, 2007, 05:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalineangel
    You can't say this for fact though. I mean, everyone has different opinions as to what they believe in and wish to have faith in. Who is to say who is right? You can not point at one religion adn say they are the wrong ones, the unbelievers, any more than I can point at your religion and say so. What matters is that you have something you believe in. Something to put your faith into. It matters not whether we think the other is the wrong way to God...they believe it is the right way to theirs...and how can we judge them for that? God speaks to us all differently. just because someone may do or interpret things differently than you would does not make them less likely to get to God...They may look at the way you do and interpret things and think the same thing...I think it is safe to say that most Christian based religions all have the same basic founding concepts. they just have different ways of following them.
    I can't say this for fact?

Your right people have their own opinion but as I said the reason is some don't like what the bible says.

Like this scripture,

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3:16)

The Bibles says who is right and if you don't believe that then your one who doesn't believe the whole bible and would probably go to a church that goes along with your thinking and does not follow scripture.

You say "God speaks to us all differently."... he does? So Gods word wasn't meant for you?

You say "I think it is safe to say that most Christian based religions all have the same basic founding concepts. they just have different ways of following them."... not true examine self proclaimed christian based religions.

Mormonism and JW claim to be Christian based.

Some don't believe in the resurrection some don't believe Jesus was God in the flesh.
    Heck some think he was just a profit and others Lucifers brother.

In conclusion I think you just proved what I was saying some don't like parts of the Bible so they twist it till they like it.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 07:11 PM
    No you can't say for fact that they are the wrong ones, that they are twisting things... they may think that you are the wrong one and You are twisting things... who can say anything for fact?? I understand you, but there are people who interpret the bible differently (I don't like the word twist) What Im saying is there is no fact that what is written is true, you believe it is true. That is faith. You said that in a way though that sounded like because they interpret it differently than you, their way is wrong. No one can say that. Their way may be right, but you have faith in the way you interpret it, and that is fine... IM not trying to start anything IM just trying to say that there is no definite right or wrong. What is right for us is wrong for someone else... I have faith in my beliefs, and that is good enough for me... I don't need to worry about someone else. Its my salvation at stake..

You are using scripture to back up your evidence that scripture is right. Im not saying scripture isn't right, but there are people who think that scripture is not meant to be taken literally. They won't see it the same as you... that isn't twisting things, that is seeing things differently.

Aug 7, 2007, 07:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalineangel
    no you can't say for fact that they are the wrong ones, that they are twisting things...they may think that you are the wrong one and You are twisting things...who can say anything for fact??? I understand you, but there are people who interpret the bible differently (I dont like the word twist) What Im saying is there is no fact that what is written is true, you believe it is true. That is faith. You said that in a way though that sounded like because they interpret it differently than you, their way is wrong. No one can say that. their way may be right, but you have faith in the way you interpret it, and that is fine... IM not trying to start anything IM just trying to say that there is no definate right or wrong. What is right for us is wrong for someone else...I have faith in my beliefs, and that is good enough for me...I dont need to worry about someone else. Its my salvation at stake..

You are using scripture to back up your evidence that scripture is right. Im not saying scripture isnt right, but there are people who think that scripture is not meant to be taken literally. they wont see it the same as you...that isn't twisting things, that is seeing things differently.
    That's was my point in the first place to explain why there are so many different churches there are those interpret scripture differently so the go to a church that suits them.

Also you say..

"IM not trying to start anything IM just trying to say that there is no definite right or wrong. What is right for us is wrong for someone else...I have faith in my beliefs, and that is good enough for me...I dont need to worry about someone else. Its my salvation at stake.."

It seems you don't believe in absolute truths

In John Jesus says
    "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me. "

Do you believe this to be true or do you think he didn't"t mean it?

I am not going to continue with this thread I think your ok We just differ on a few topics. I will finish with this scripture.

Matthew 7:13-14
    13"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

In Love and God bless
    Duke
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Oct 8, 2007, 11:55 AM
    Jesus said you must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your mind and all your strength; and you must love your neighbor as yourself. He also said we are to obey Him, Matthew 7:21
    [ True Disciples ] “Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter.
    Matthew 7:20-22 (in Context) Matthew 7 (Whole Chapter)
    Quote Originally Posted by tombb25
    To accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior. period.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What type of christian are you? [ 90 Answers ]

I want to know how many different types of christianity there are, and what they do. If you are reading this and you are a christian, what is the name of your group? And how do you know you are the right group? Do your prayers get answered and if so, how? I am a christian, but I feel discouraged...

On Being a Christian [ 14 Answers ]

What did Jesus tell his disciples they should do? And, if someone does those things, is he then a Christian, or is there something more that he must do that Jesus did not mention? Will all Christians be saved? What does Jesus say about that? M:)RGANITE

Do you know the name this christian song? [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know the name of this song and I've been trying to search it but I can't figure it out! :confused: the lyrics are: Here at your thrown Here at your feet Resting my head upon your altar Your fire consuming me Hearing your voice Speaking your word Wipering to my heart Like...

What Is Being a Christian? [ 3 Answers ]

I can't seem to understand the different denominations of Christianity. I would like to able to catagorize what I believe in. I believe in God, But I don't think that religion has to be learned in a church. Also I Don't believe God has expectations in what we must do in our lifes and that we can...

Christian [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am Mich3. I was looking for a Christian page. Is there one here?

View more questions Search