Ask
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

Apr 22, 2007, 04:54 PM
    Unique
    What makes a mistake unique?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Hi Hammy! I just noticed this post. I seem to be fighting a flu bug or something so forgive me if I don't make a lot of sense right now. :p

I am not sure if I understand the question. What kind of mistakes are you speaking of? Errors or mistakes in judgement? I don't think all mistakes or errors are unique. You and I can make the same mistake. For instance, we are walking along the street and aren't paying enough attention and we both step into a pothole or trip over the same crack in a sidewalk. Or, we both take an exam and both us of get the same question wrong. Those are mistakes that we both have made, therefore, not unique. What might make them unique would be that each of us mentally interpret or deal with it differently.

Apr 25, 2007, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    Hi Hammy! I just noticed this post. I seem to be fighting a flu bug or something so forgive me if I don't make a lot of sense right now. :p

I am not sure if I understand the question. What kind of mistakes are you speaking of? Errors or mistakes in judgement? I don't think all mistakes or errors are unique. You and I can make the same mistake. For instance, we are walking along the street and aren't paying enough attention and we both step into a pothole or trip over the same crack in a sidewalk. Or, we both take an exam and both us of get the same question wrong. Those are mistakes that we both have made, therefore, not unique. What might make them unique would be that each of us mentally interpret or deal with it differently.
    Oh, I see. Mistakes in judgement. I thought that when someone does intending to( I thought those would be mistakes, too) and the consequence ss perhaps not what was supposed to happen or the complete opposite, then perhaps the mistake can be considered unique. Unique was a tough one for me( it doesn't even make sense).

Apr 25, 2007, 05:04 PM
    Whoops, it should've been errors.
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2007, 05:35 PM
    I think this virus is getting the best of me. I am completely confused by what you are saying. I will probably be logging off soon so I don't screw up answering people. But, in the meantime, maybe you can give me a more solid example of what is on your mind. What you are thinking about? Maybe it has more to do with the fact that mistakes can be unique in how each of us handles or reacts to them?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2007, 05:42 PM
    In the quilting world there is a phrase:

"It is the irregularities (i.e. mistakes) which make the piece unique."

My old philosophy prof would have found something very profound in that statement. I find it as a way to explain that nobody is perfect.

Could it be that errors affect everyone differently therefore that makes is unique?

Apr 25, 2007, 05:43 PM
    I think this virus is getting the best of me. I am completely confused by what you are saying. I will probably be logging off soon so I don't screw up answering people. But, in the meantime, maybe you can give me a more solid example of what is on your mind. What you are thinking about? Maybe it has more to do with the fact that mistakes can be unique in how each of us handles or reacts to them?
    To review, when you asked errors or mistakes in judgement, I said errors. In this case, I think a mistake is doing something you didn't intend to do. Say, I did something I didn't intend to do. What should've happened didn't happen and instead, something else happened. In my opinion, the mistake can be considered unique. Correct me if I'm wrong. I thought that this was an opinion question.

Apr 25, 2007, 05:45 PM
    Does that help? Even if, a little bit?
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2007, 05:58 PM
    Hammy honey, I am fading out here. I didn't realize this was an opinion question. It is an opinion question if that is what your intention is. It is your post.

I am tempted to take the easy way out at this moment and just agree with you. ;) But, I am a pain in the butt and don't like taking the easy way of out things. Hopefully, tomorrow, my thinking won't be so fuzzy and I will make an attempt to give you my opinion, flaws and all. :p
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2007, 12:00 AM
    Unique does not make sense! Didn't we establish that elsewhere hamm?

May 1, 2007, 02:29 PM
    hammy honey, I am fading out here. I didn't realize this was an opinion question. It is an opinion question if that is what your intention is. It is your post.

I am tempted to take the easy way out at this moment and just agree with you. ;) But, I am a pain in the butt and don't like taking the easy way of out things. Hopefully, tomorrow, my thinking won't be so fuzzy and I will make an attempt to give you my opinion, flaws and all. :p
    It's May 1st. You'd said you'd answer "tomorrow".

May 1, 2007, 02:33 PM
    True, but it's definition isn't just "one", it also means "unusual". You can compare "unusual"( more unusual, most unusual)
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2007, 04:00 PM
    So you can have something that is more unusual can you? Interesting. I would have though that may have fallen into the same category as unique? But ill take your word for it.
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hamworld05
    To review, when you asked errors or mistakes in judgement, I said errors. In this case, I think a mistake is doing something you didn't intend to do. Say, I did something I didn't intend to do. What should've happened didn't happen and instead, something else happened. In my opinion, the mistake can be considered unique. Correct me if I'm wrong. I thought that this was an opinion question.
    All right, you caught me! I forgot to come back! :p

I see you don't particularly care for Skell's answer? I don't know what thread the two of had this discussion on previously but I will tell you that I think Skell is a smart guy.

Okay, here is my opinion. I don't think it is the mistake that is unique. It is the actions that each of us takes that makes the situation unique, not the mistake.

May 3, 2007, 06:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skell
    So you can have something that is more unusual can you? Interesting. I would have though that may have fallen into the same category as unique? But ill take your word for it.
    In my opinion, it would depend on the context. But then there's " I'm very unique". Do I mean
    Unusual or one of a kind? Don't take my word for it. I got that info from Wiktionary .

May 6, 2007, 05:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    In the quilting world there is a phrase:

"It is the irregularities (i.e. mistakes) which make the piece unique."

My old philosophy prof would have found something very profound in that statement. I find it as a way to explain that nobody is perfect.

Could it be that errors affect everyone differently therefore that makes is unique?
    Yes, I would think that the errors would affect people differently.

May 6, 2007, 05:42 PM
    Mistakes can also be unique in the sense that the certain one has never happened before, as if it were setting a precedent.
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2007, 06:27 AM
    Hammy, that is a statement that can paint you in a corner. The only mistakes that can set precedent are ones that come with a new development within society. For example, when the telephone was first invented. The first person who accidentally hung up before the person on the other end was finished speaking. That would be setting a precedent. It would be unique in that it had never happened before. But, that particular incident isn't unique after the first time.

If you are speaking about interacting with people, and not objects, I can guarantee you that a mistake you make is not unique. Only the situation in which you were involved at the time, the actions taken, reactions given, would make it unique.

May 8, 2007, 03:52 PM
    hammy, that is a statement that can paint you in a corner. The only mistakes that can set precedent are ones that come with a new development within society. For example, when the telephone was first invented. The first person who accidentally hung up before the person on the other end was finished speaking. That would be setting a precedent. It would be unique in that it had never happened before. But, that particular incident isn't unique after the first time.

If you are speaking about interacting with people, and not objects, I can guarantee you that a mistake you make is not unique. Only the situation in which you were involved at the time, the actions taken, reactions given, would make it unique.
    What do you mean by "paint me in a corner?"
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Hi honey. It is an old expression. Envision yourself painting a floor. You start from the doorway and work your way around the room. All of a sudden you realize that you painted the entire floor and you are stuck in a corner of the room and can't get out!

Now, I know you are going to want me to explain why I said that. I know you too well now! :p Basically what you last stated about setting precedents is limited, as I explained. You "paint yourself into corner" with that because there are very, very few unique mistakes made by being the one to set the precedent. Those are few and far between. Even though new things are invented every day, those that test them are the ones that will be setting precedents when they make a mistake. You could set a precedent by mistakenly stepping into a new pothole. But, that isn't a unique mistake. Many people have done this. However, it may be a unique mistake for you if you have never stepped into a pothole before. Does that make sense to you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Unique Gift Idea for Wife [ 14 Answers ]

Hello all, I am currently deployed over in Iraq and I am trying to find a unique gift on line to send to my wife to put a smile on her face and let her know that I think about her 24/7. Thank you.:confused:

I need advice for unique situation [ 4 Answers ]

I Have A Unique Situation...

Looking for unique clothes [ 3 Answers ]

I want to find some clothes that may be rave/futuristic/technoey ( I think I just made a new word )/ j.street style looking. Can anyone help? :cool:

Help: Unique design for a gown [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there! My sister's getting married next year. I need suggestions/unique designs for my gown. Thanks.

View more questions Search