Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcardisco Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2007, 12:02 PM
    AC Motor bench grinder Rewire
    Hello,

I am trying to rewire an old AC motor driven bench grinder. For some reason when I hook up my input cord (from the outlet) black to one motor lead and white to the other motor lead the motor locks up. The motor turns to a electromagnet and grabs the armature and locks up with a loud buzzing. I took the switch out the circuit just to simplify everything but the hook up is just input black to swith terminal then output switch terminal to motor lead when I hook it all back up right?

I know this might sound confusing in writing but the hookup is very basic but I don't know why I am having this trouble.

I am attaching a PDF to show you all and ask for some help.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Microsoft Word - ac motor.pdf (87.4 KB, 419 views)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 22, 2007, 02:21 PM
    If you apply power to the motor as it is positioned in the picture it will lock up. The armature is touching the winding and you can't allow that to happen. You need to reassemble the housing to get the armature to float between the windings.
    jcardisco Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2007, 09:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    If you apply power to the motor as it is positioned in the picture it will lock up. The armature is touching the winding and you can't allow that to happen. You need to reassemble the housing to get the armature to float between the windings.
    Thanks for the advice but I know that it won't spin outside the case, I just took it out to show the wiring.

I kept messing with the balancing for several hours to get the unit to spin freely. Finally... success. The culprit seemed to be the sponge like half of the bearing which held the grease. Those sponges flatten out and no longer balanced the armature. I bought some valu-pack sponges cut one up and formed the lower half of the bearing, greased the bearings and finally toiled until the unit spun freely. I never thought balancing would be such an issue, next time I'll try to retro fit molded bearing.

Thanks for you help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you fly with a bench warrant? [ 24 Answers ]

Ok, So I have a bench warrant because the letter I got for a court date was misprinted and differed from what the actual court date was, no big deal, but I need to fly this Sunday and will not be able to clear it before than. The original charge was a misdemeanor, and I am not flying from the same...

Rewire kitchen.. [ 1 Answers ]

Sorry forgot to ask in my earlier post. When I re-wire my, kitchen, (size about 10x10, Florida block house) this is what I have planned. Run my stove line. run 2: 12-2 homeruns for counter outlets. 12-2 for dishwasher 14-2 shared for fridge and garbage disposal. (can I do this?) 12-2...

A shower bench [ 1 Answers ]

We are replacing a bench in a shower and want to use concrete blocks. Is there any weight limit that might avoid damage to a shower pan?

Why am I always be sitting on the bench a lot? [ 5 Answers ]

Hey, I'm new and oldcoach I have a question. Why am I always be sitting on the bench a lot? I'm 15 years old and I'm a sophomore and I been playing basketball for three years and this is my 2nd year playing J.V. girls basketball and I play small forward and guard and I really need help on my...

View more questions Search