Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2023, 06:03 AM
    It's just more of the usual. "We care so much for the poor and downtrodden that we are willing to force other people to give them money."
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2023, 12:41 PM
    This is where the madness becomes a national event .

US mulls asking Black Americans in census if they are descendants of enslaved people: report | The Hill

.....looking into how to differentiate Black descendants of enslaved people in the U.S. from those who families immigrated to the country more recently from sub-Saharan Africa, the Caribbean or other nations.

What are they going to do when an Elizabeth Warren type claims to be 1/1024 descendent of slaves ?
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2023, 01:53 PM
    I wonder if that will include having been enslaved in Africa by other black Africans?
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2023, 01:55 PM
    California's reparations task force voted Saturday to approve recommendations on how the state may compensate and apologize to Black residents for generations of harm caused by discriminatory policies.
    The nine-member committee, which first convened nearly two years ago, gave final approval at a meeting in Oakland to a hefty list of proposals that now go to state lawmakers to consider for reparations legislation.

A California panel has called for billions in reparations for black residents : NPR

Perhaps we are looking at it the wrong way. When considering the value maybe the control group should be the group of Africans that were not captured as slaves and remained in Africa. As an example ;the people of the Republic of Congo averaged $ 577 per person in 2021

Democratic Republic of Congo GDP Per Capita 1960-2023 | MacroTrends
    Uber Member

May 9, 2023, 03:07 PM
    Another interesting group to look at are those black immigrants from Africa in the past several decades. They, as a group, are doing decidedly better than black Americans who were born here. Maybe we could all learn something from that successful group.
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2023, 03:39 AM
    So now that Gavin Newsom sees the price tag , he is back tracking .He says California just doesn't have the budget for reparations. He went from bragging about a $ 97.5 billion surplus to saying the state has a $31.5 billion deficit. That in itself is an outstanding admission.

How Newsom solves California budget that went from a $97.5 billion surplus to $31.5 billion deficit (mercurynews.com)

He now says the legacy of slavery is more than about cash payments.

Newsom fails to explicitly endorse cash payments for Californians who are descendants of slavery | KRCR (krcrtv.com)

He is between a rock and a hard place ;especially if he has Presidential aspirations .

Anything he does is going to pi$$ off a major constituency.
    If he doesn't support reparations then the California Blacks will feel betrayed .
    California Repub Assembly Leader James Gallagher said

“It will take an absurd mental gymnastics to require California taxpayers, including new immigrants, low-income workers, and even some African Americans, to pay for a wrong committed by other states more than 150 years ago, but that’s the position Newsom put himself in,”
    California Republican slams Newsom for reparations about-face (nypost.com)

California was admitted to the union as a free state through the 1850 Compromise.

Compromise of 1850 - Summary, Significance & Facts (history.com)

That factoid does not deter the reparations crowd. Here is the "logic" behind demanding reparations from a state that never had institutional slavery .

While neither San Francisco, nor California, formally adopted the institution of chattel slavery, the tenets of segregation, white supremacy and systematic repression and exclusion of Black people were codified through legal and extralegal actions, social codes, and judicial enforcement.

HRC Reparations 2022 Report Final_0.pdf (sf.gov)
    Uber Member

May 15, 2023, 07:21 AM
    He says California just doesn't have the budget for reparations. He went from bragging about a $ 97.5 billion surplus to saying the state has a $31.5 billion deficit. That in itself is an outstanding admission.
    A democrat is whom is no guile. (At least in this particular instance.)
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2023, 04:17 AM
    The emperor chimes in after he made excuses for not proposing them when he could've .

“So, if you ask me theoretically: ‘Are reparations justified?’ The answer is yes,” the former president said in an episode on he and Bruce Springsteen’s new “Renegades: Born in the U.S.A.” podcast that launched on Spotify earlier this week.
    “There’s not much question that the wealth of this country, the power of this country was built in significant part — not exclusively, maybe not even the majority of it — but a large portion of it was built on the backs of slaves,” he continued.
    “What I saw during my presidency was the politics of white resistance and resentment, the talk of welfare queens and the talk of the undeserving poor and the backlash against affirmative action,” he said, adding that “all that made the prospect of actually proposing any kind of coherent, meaningful reparations program struck me as, politically, not only a non-starter but potentially counterproductive.”
    Obama says reparations ‘justified’ | The Hill

He said "that reparations would be an excuse for some to say 'we've paid our debt' and to avoid the much harder work of enforcing our anti-discrimination laws in employment and housing; the much harder work of making sure that our schools are not separate and unequal; the much harder work of providing job training programs and rehabilitating young men coming out of prison every year; and the much harder work of lifting 37 million Americans of all races out of poverty..."

In case he has not noticed schools are no longer separate but equal. Job training has nothing to do with the reparation issue. Giving a lot of money to youth will not keep them out of prison if they are not required to take responsibility for their actions. How do we distinguish between Blacks born in the United States and African and Caribbean immigrants with no histories of ancestors who were slaves or who lived under Jim Crow ? What about Blacks who came to America not as slaves but as indentured servants ?

Does the emperor's qualify ? His father was an African and his mother's family owned slaves.

Obama's great-great-great-great-grandfather, George Washington Overall, and found that he owned two slaves in Kentucky: a 15-year-old girl and a 25-year-old man. He also found out that Obama's great-great-great-great-great-grandmother, Mary Duvall, also owned a pair of slaves listed in an 1850 census record. They were a 60-year-old man and a 58-year-old woman. In fact, the Duvalls were a wealthy family whose members were descended from a major landowner, Maureen Duvall, whose estate owned at least 18 slaves in the 17th century.
    Obama told of family's slave-owning history in deep South | World news | The Guardian
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2023, 05:48 AM
    This is the kind of whining that we could do with much less of.

“What I saw during my presidency was the politics of white resistance and resentment, the talk of welfare queens and the talk of the undeserving poor and the backlash against affirmative action,” he said, adding that “all that made the prospect of actually proposing any kind of coherent, meaningful reparations program struck me as, politically, not only a non-starter but potentially counterproductive.”
    The solution is to go look at the Asians in our midst and do what they do. That, of course, would require some self-discipline and making painful choices, so it will be brushed aside in favor of having someone else make painful sacrifices.

In case he has not noticed schools are no longer separate but equal.
    They are becoming more separate as the years go by. Many minority children are trapped in low-performing schools due to the will of liberal democrats.
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2023, 10:31 AM
    California task force recommendations are out . Besides the $$$$$ it recommmends that dead beat dads should no longer be required to pay child support . And it recommends ending enforcement of public urination laws .
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2023, 06:44 PM
    So a deadbeat dad can keep all his money AND pee in the front yard? Now that’s quite a plan.
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2023, 03:02 AM
    I have not read the whole report . It is over 1000 pages so who knows what other insanity is in there . Clear is proposition that they believe because of slave roots and historic discrimination that African Americans should be exempt from responsibility for their actions .
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2023, 05:16 AM
    The 2.5 million black Californians will be required to first show that they are descendants of slaves before receiving reparations. That is often difficult to do. Even then you will have the ridiculous situation of some people who are earning hundreds of thousands and even millions of dollars a year applying for reparations. College professors, bank presidents, CEO's, and medical doctors will all be receiving reparations.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60960524

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Definition of Insanity ala Trump [ 30 Answers ]

Doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome. So Trump resubmits basically the same executive order and is shocked when a judge again stops it nationwide. Trump still refuses to understand the First Amendment - probably because he hasn't read it yet. By his own admission he reads one...

Has anyone here tried Insanity Workout? [ 0 Answers ]

I am in my 3 week of Insanity, today I have my 15day Fit Test. Obviously I do not see any big changes, its only been 2 weeks, but I do feel better, and I am not doing the diet they give you, I am just watching what I eat, no pop, no fast food, eat smaller portions, water all day. I know they say...

Right Wing Insanity [ 187 Answers ]

Hello: A while back I heard that the candidate for governor of Florida was advocating drug testing for welfare recipients... I laughed and laughed and laughed... THAT stuff doesn't happen in THIS country... We have a Constitution, for crying out loud.. That guy will NEVER get elected... And,...

Insanity [ 3 Answers ]

How does one get an insane wife committed?

Government insanity [ 242 Answers ]

Ahhh... our ever-efficient government strikes again. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090929/ap_on_re_us/us_baby_sitter_backlash_mich A couple of questions. 1) Who is the schmuck that complained that his neighbor was watching other people's kids? I want to find that idiot and just...

View more questions Search