Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2023, 06:40 AM
    The fungus among us
    The fungus Candida auris, or C. auris is often resistant to anti-fungal drugs, making it hard to treat infections. It can also be hard to identify with standard lab tests, making it even more difficult to treat properly and early.

An epidemic of cases from the fungus has grown since 2020 to include 28 US states ,with more than 10,000 cases reported.
    Normally healthy people are not at high risk . But this tends to spread in hospitals and other care facilities .

The CDC says cases are spreading at an "alarming rate ".

Increasing Threat of Spread of Antimicrobial-resistant Fungus in Healthcare Facilities | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

In the U.S. between 2019 and 2021 10,683 cases were recorded. 3,270 of the cases were clinical infections, meaning the patient showed symptoms before being tested, and 7,413 cases were detected during routine screening. People carrying the fungus can still spread the pathogen, and they may develop symptoms of illness later on.

The number of cases in the US and world wide began to rapidly increase at the same time as the covid pandemic

Worsening Spread of Candida auris in the United States, 2019 to 2021 | Annals of Internal Medicine (acpjournals.org)

Dr Meghan Lyman of the CDC said 'Gaps in case detection and infection control existed before the COVID-19 pandemic, but pandemic-related strain on the health care and public health systems likely contributed to [increased] transmission'.

Check out some similar questions!

Fingernail fungus [ 3 Answers ]

A man with severe fingernail fungus would like to date me. How likely am I to get this fungus either on my nails or some form on my skin? Would it be OK to date him or should I pass? What would you do?

Nail fungus [ 1 Answers ]

Already used most lotions on the market, and Doctor told me not to use internal Medicines, because of interactions with my prescriptions.. Seminole Indian friend told me to soak my toenails in vinegar, let dry, and then put vicks on my nails overnight. Any home remedies Folks

Fungus among us! [ 2 Answers ]

I recently planted a Basil plant into potting soil that had been grown hydroponically. It was fine for a week, than in the past two days it started growing a white fuzzy mold on the surface of the soil. See attached pictures. How can I fix this, Please help!

Toenail fungus [ 3 Answers ]

I have toenail fungus in both my big toes and the treatment the Dr. gave me doesn't seem to be working. I read that vinegar is good to use applying with a Qtip putting it under the nail and on the nail surface. I have been doing this for over a month and see no progress. Does anyone have a success...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.