Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2023, 04:18 AM
    NATO reality check .
    EU ministers met about a proposal by Estonian Foreign Minister Urmas Reinsalu to spend 4 billion Euros ($4.2 billion) to buy 1 million artillery shells for Ukraine . This does NOT include the money to replace NATO and US depleted stockpile . (They agreed to something yesterday)
    EU agrees to push ahead on joint arms buying to aid Ukraine | Reuters

Both Ukraine and Russia are running out of ammo .

I believe China will start supplying Russia soon .
    Putin ally Lukashenko and Chinese leader Xi Jinping vow to deepen defense ties | CNN

This ammo shortage happened in 1915 during WWI This led to a political crisis in UK that resulted in a change of government

The goal is to supply Ukraine with 100,000 rounds a month. Currently production levels in Europe and the US cannot keep up with shell usage.

Europe shrunk it's military capacity post Cold War under the fanciful belief that a conventional war could never happen there again

(the silly end of history nonsense that was being given credence by the egg heads

The End of History and the Last Man - Wikipedia )

NATO became a bonsai army capable of fighting brush fire wars of choice 'over there'.
    bonsai army - Wiktionary

Forget Ukraine ....They neither have the ammo ,nor the capacity to produce ammo sufficient to protect themselves . When all is said and done ;even with a war time mobilization like the US had prior to our entry into WWII ,it will take months to produce the weapons necessary for Ukraine to win. I do not believe there is the will on either side of the pond for that type of commitment .
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2023, 05:04 AM
    Hmm Lukashenko had a meeting with Putin and then was rushed to the Hospital . I wonder what he said to Putin that got him poisoned ?

President of Belarus hospitalised after meeting with Putin (yahoo.com)

This meeting was held days after Russia announced it was moving nukes to Belarus.

Russia moving nuclear warheads to Belarus, says dictator Lukashenko | Ukraine | The Guardian
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 28, 2023, 05:11 AM
    This meeting was held days after Russia announced it was moving nukes to Belarus.
    That is a little nerve-wracking. I don't doubt that Putin would use nukes if he felt the war was going against him in such a manner that losing was a real possibility.
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2023, 06:11 AM
    Depending on the success of the impending Ukraine offensive I see another equally sinister play by Putin.

Russia gained control of the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant last year; the largest nuke plant in Europe. The power lines to the plant have already been damaged . There was fighting and shelling in the plant area ;and reportedly Russia has been kidnapping workers from the plant. It is operating mostly on back up generators .

Ukraine began saying yesterday that Putin is planning a "provocation"; "massive incident " or to "simulate " an incident at the plant in the event that Ukraine makes headway in their offensive. The goal being to suspend hostilities to deal with the nuke crisis. They would blame Ukraine for the damage . They would use the pause to regroup and create new lines of defense .

I don't know the veracity of the accusation or if it is based on any intel they have received . Ukraine has issued similar warnings in the past .

What is indisputable it that it is a really bad idea to be fighting a war around a nuclear power plant.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 28, 2023, 06:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Depending on the success of the impending Ukraine offensive I see another equally sinister play by Putin.
    And sucking in tRump.
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2023, 06:37 AM
    uh oh someone is going moon batty
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 28, 2023, 06:43 AM
    TDS at work, perhaps??
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2023, 03:31 AM
    Turkey agreed to allow Sweden to join NATO . Originally they balked .Why the change of heart ?

The US suddenly agreed to sell advance F-16 jets to Turkey
    US to move ahead with transfer of F-16 jets to Turkey | Reuters

And Sweden began a crack down on Kurd expats .

The Swedes say the timing was "coincidence" .

Sweden jails Kurd for financing terrorism after Turkey calls for crackdown - BBC News

uh huh

The Kurds always get screwed .
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2023, 03:53 AM
    Larry Kudlow on Stuart Varney show .

we have now poured $130, $150 billion into this war. NATO countries, from reports, have only put in about $20 or $25 billion. It really is a European problem, so the question is what should the United States do over time?

Kudlow: Pouring Another $150 Billion Into Ukraine Makes No Sense, U.S. Should Be Negotiating A Cease Fire | Video | RealClearPolitics

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NATO expansion both territorial and objectives [ 6 Answers ]

NATO met Wednesday in Madrid and published a new strategic document for the alliance . 290622-strategic-concept.pdf (nato.int) NATO updates it's strategic mission roughly every decade . The doc defines who is the enemy or threat and what NATO will do about it The document defines Russia...

NATO gone? [ 9 Answers ]

It seems that with one stroke a departing Secretary of Defense can sink an important alliance with the thought that it just isn't relevant any more, after all if the US isn't there to shoulder the effort it just won't happen NATO at the crossroads after Gates speech - UK news by mail.com The US...

Nato tankers attacked [ 12 Answers ]

Now I know this isn't news but there have been 6 incidents since Pakistan closed the border crossing so one has to think the insurgents are extraordinarily well informed far from their base, and have the ability to move around freely, or there is some fiddling going on at the edges. My theory is...

NATO Expansion [ 2 Answers ]

Why has NATO continued to expand into Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union? What role might NATO play in today's world?

View more questions Search