Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DanPatrick10 Posts: 134, Reputation: 5

Feb 26, 2023, 11:46 AM
    Tax Assistance - Do I Need to Report Income from BlockFi?
    Question for the tax experts which I hope isn't too complicated. Unfortunately, 2022 was a bad year for me. I received a 1099-MISC and 1099-B from BlockFi. However, I haven't been able to access the interest or funds in my BlockFi Interest Account BIA since November 10 due to the FTX collapse. BlockFi petitioned for relief under Ch.11 through Bankruptcy Court, so I don't know if I'll ever see the money again.

For the 1099-MISC, my interest was reported in box 3 as taxable income. For the 1099-B, it says transactions for which basis aren't reported to the IRS - report on Form 8949 with Box B checked and/or schedule D, Part 1.

Do I need to report the income on any of these forms on my taxes since I lost over 16k in BlockFi or is there a form for reporting financial losses? If I have to report the income on the 1099-MISC and B, does tax software like H&R Block and TurboTax have the necessary forms like the Form 8949?

Also, I was a 1099 worker and I only made $1000 on the 1099-NEC which was reported to the IRS. However, that was all I made for 2022. Do I still need to file or report that on my taxes?

Check out some similar questions!

How Do I Report This On Income Tax? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey there, not sure if there are any Canadians out there but I have a tax question. I am making some money on the internet through affiliate marketing. I promote other people's products for a commission. I was wondering, how I can report this on my income tax. Do I need to register a business...

Income Statement Assistance Please! [ 0 Answers ]

Can you please give some guidance as to how I can do this? Any help would be really appreciated! Use the following partial trial balance to prepare and multiple-step income statement with earning per share disclosure on December 31, 2009. Plano Co. 12/31/09 Debits ...

Can I report 1099 income while on ss? [ 1 Answers ]

I am receiving social security benefits for a disability of Bipolar Disease. My family owns a business and would like to compensate me for the work that I can do. Such as sending out flyers and advertising. Am I allowed to claim 1099 income while receiving social security?

Income statement issues - need assistance today because DUE TOMORROW ON OCT 8 2009 [ 5 Answers ]

I am having a very hard time understanding how to prepare an income statement. Here is the information I have... *Prepare an income statement for the year ended December 31, 2010 -NOT SURE HOW TO SET UP THE INCOME STATEMENT CONFIDENTLY AND NEED HELP B/C ITS DUE TOMORROW (OCTOBER 8TH) -HERES THE...

How to report income with no W2 and no 1099? [ 4 Answers ]

My wife made some income this year (about 5K) and we are unsure on how to report it. The business owner has not and will not issue W2 or 1099 forms but has written checks to her name which she has cashed out at his bank. How do we report this on our federal taxes without triggering an audit...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.