Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2023, 04:04 AM
    Here's the problem . Dahl's estate was sold to Netflix in 2021. When I was a subscriber they had some excellent content . But Netflix pushed the political correctness agenda . I believe this coincided with them adding advertisements into their format (for a fee you can have ad free content now) .

But the Jacobins eventually feast on their own. Netflix had (from what I hear ) a well made Adam's Family spinoff about the daughter Wednesday directed by Tim Burton . It lasted 1 season before it was cancelled .

What was the problem ? The accusation made by the woke mob was that it was racist . The main antagonist portrayed by black actress Joy Sunday is a mean girl .AND the Black mayor owns a museums that celebrates Pilgrims (oh the horror ! ) .

How far they take the plunge is unclear . I don't believe we will be seeing any more Dave Chappelle specials on the network. But who knows ? Their plunge in subscriptions last year may have been caused by their woke agenda.
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2023, 05:05 AM
    For balance ;Earnest Owens at Rolling Stone says that cancel culture is good for democracy.

Why Cancel Culture Is Good for Democracy – Rolling Stone

He says it allows the marginalized to hold the powerful accountable . I liken it more to an uncontrolled mob with pitchforks and a guillotine at the ready.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2023, 07:05 AM
    And then the question comes, to hold them responsible for what? For using some words that I don't like?
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2023, 06:02 AM
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2023, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    For balance ;Earnest Owens at Rolling Stone says that cancel culture is good for democracy.

Why Cancel Culture Is Good for Democracy – Rolling Stone
    Excellent link, tomder - one of the best ever! Thanks.

A superb example of critical thinking. Everybody should read that link.
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2023, 07:34 AM
    as I said
    I liken it more to an uncontrolled mob with pitchforks and a guillotine at the ready.
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2023, 09:18 AM
    Owens says cancel culture "has leveled the playing field for those who can’t always rely on the government to protect them" and "Cancel culture is the poison to those in power that have benefited from unchecked free speech."

Cancel culture is a poison alright . But one thing we have learned this year is that it is very much a tool of the government .It is a clear threat to free speech and the government has used various media platforms to make sure speech the government doesn't approve of is systemically suppressed .
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2023, 09:20 AM
    The reasons used by one group to justify their speech/thought control over another group seem to be endless.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 25, 2023, 09:36 AM
    Gotta love U-Turns, or has common sense won through....
    https://news.sky.com/story/roald-dah...books-12818769
    Roald Dahl classic texts to be kept in print after outrage over changes to books
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2023, 12:08 PM
    one thing we have learned this year is that it is very much a tool of the government .It is a clear threat to free speech
    Nonsense. It encourages accurate speech. Like anything, some will abuse the idea.

I think it's a good thing to understand that the man who wrote "All men are created equal" owned human beings and raped one of them since she was an article of property belonging to Thomas Jefferson.
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2023, 01:31 PM
    "Accurate speech"? Liberal code for, "You will speak as we dictate." The concept is "FREE speech". That means we don't have to please liberal speech police.

"...raped one of them since she was an article of property belonging to Thomas Jefferson." Funny comment coming from someone who just advocated for "accurate speech". That is far, far from being a proven truth.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 25, 2023, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    "Accurate speech"? Liberal code for, "You will speak as we dictate." The concept is "FREE speech". That means we don't have to please liberal speech police.
    And liberals don't have to please conservative speech police. Oh my! Now what???
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2023, 02:22 PM
    And liberals don't have to please conservative speech police. Oh my! Now what???
    You have an example of this? I doubt it, but even if you do, I will agree that speech in general should be non-policed by government agencies, be they liberal or conservative, or by self-appointed experts in the general population. Will you agree with that?
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2023, 03:30 PM
    I think it's a good thing to understand that the man who wrote "All men are created equal" owned human beings and raped one of them since she was an article of property belonging to Thomas Jefferson.
    if that is all you know about Jefferson then you are being taught a biased and unfair history . I have plenty of issues with Jefferson .I happen to think that it was lucky for the nation that he was away on assignment in Paris during the Constitutional Convention . But I think he was one of the greatest men in our history , He is essentially cancelled even in his home .

If you have studied the tremendous contributions of the extraordinary Thomas Jefferson, you may not recognize the person depicted at his home at Monticello. You will learn almost nothing of the wisdom, patriotism, and Herculean efforts he made to build America. Instead, you will hear and see only information about enslaved people. While this is important, the noble man is completely lost. Hopefully in the years to come, Monticello will balance the present narrative. While all of the people working as guides are TREMENDOUS, the emphasis has become off balance.in their effort to balance history . one reviewer of the experience wrote ;

“The tour guides play ‘besmirchment derby,’ never missing a chance to defame this brilliant, complex man,”

NYC removed his statue from City Council

What cancel culture has become is the Taliban destroying the Budda statues of Bamyan . They are not balancing history .They are erasing it .
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 25, 2023, 03:33 PM
    You have an example of this? I doubt it, but even if you do, I will agree that speech in general should be non-policed by government agencies, be they liberal or conservative, or by self-appointed experts in the general population. Will you agree with that?
    Definitely agree!

Athos: I think it's a good thing to understand that the man who wrote "All men are created equal" owned human beings and raped one of them since she was an article of property belonging to Thomas Jefferson.
    if that is all you know about Jefferson then you are being taught a biased and unfair history .
    Did he own human beings and rape one or more of them?
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2023, 04:00 PM
    He had many slaves.

Rape ? ...undetermined ...it is a matter of historical debate at best .

There was a lot of slander about him during the very contentious 1800 election. Much of the charge comes from that election .

There is no evidence ;including DNA that proves Sally Heming gave birth to his child.

Jefferson Was Falsely Accused — Thomas Jefferson Heritage Society (tjheritage.org)

As far as I can tell ;the accusation is an accumulation of salacious rumors and irresponsible scholarship ,inspired by political grudges, academic opportunism, and the woke trend of historical revisionism that seeks to drag the reputation of the Founding Fathers through the mud.
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2023, 04:10 PM
    Did he own human beings and rape one or more of them?
    The "accurate speech" police will be coming after you.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 25, 2023, 04:16 PM
    The "accurate speech" police will be coming after you.
    I put on my librarian hat and spent some time researching this. Rape is probably the wrong word. But Jefferson very likely fathered all her children.
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2023, 04:40 PM
    likely ? again rumor and innuendo without any proof.

As for the slave trade in post colonial America ;it was the creating of the nation that compelled the end of the trade in a generation of the nation's founding as I explained previously

Half the new states began the process immediately after the revolution.1777, Vermont's constitution outlawed it . Massachusetts and New Hampshire also outlawed slavery 6 year later. Pennsylvania passed a law outlining a process of gradual emancipation in 1780.New York and New Jersey, where slavery was more prevalent, pass gradual emancipation laws 1799 and 1804. Before the Republic was founded; the Northwest Ordinance in 1787, which organized new territory west of the Appalachian Mountains and north of the Ohio River, prohibited slaveholders from bring slaves into the territory . The dominance that the slave holding states in the south had at the beginning of the Republic gradually weakened. .Emancipation was inevitable . The trans-Atlantic slave trade was abolished by the Constitution in 1808 .
    The flaw in all this revisionism is that 21st century values are attributed to people of the 17th and 18th century. The founding of America propelled the changes .

Quid declares war on American parents (askmehelpdesk.com)
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2023, 05:02 PM
    Rape is probably the wrong word. But Jefferson very likely fathered all her children.
    Change "very likely" to "possibly" and we have a deal. Tom's "accurate speech" concerning Jefferson's legacy is worth reading.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cancel culture the next wave [ 0 Answers ]

Not content to just de-platform political opponents from social media ;the cancel culture is taking their censorship to the next level. Big Tech companies like PayPal and WePay;a JPMorgan Chase subsidiary, were working with left-wing groups like the ADL and SPLC to create lists of individuals and...

Looking for books on 70s culture and era/geographic specific attitude to abortion [ 1 Answers ]

This is actually a 2 prong question although the title could be perceived a couple of ways. In short, I am writing a book that takes place in Georgia, USA in the 70s and I have a very small anecdotal moment in the book regarding abortion and I was curious what the culture was like in 1973. I know...

Trying to figure out two authors of books I loved in high school (late 80s early 90s) [ 2 Answers ]

I know one was a series, I believe they were called Green Magic and Red Magic (not the Red Magic of the D&D stuff). The characters were sort of like Aztecs I believe and the first book I believe the main character was learning magic and in the second he took up blood magic to fight invaders... and...

Recommend Authors/Books for me based on what I like? [ 45 Answers ]

Generally I go for Non-Fiction: a) US History 16th-19th centuries (Allan Eckert is my favorite). b) Biographies and stories of Explorers and Archaeologists (US, Europe and Middle East). c) Biographies and stories about "big wigs" such as Hitler, Stalin, Genghis Khan, Alexander the Great,...

Democrat culture of corruption continues? [ 99 Answers ]

Now that the Dems have weeded out some of the tax dodgers it's time for another two-step... two steps forward, one step back or something like that. In case you missed it, it turns out that Obama's replacement Roland Burris may have perjured himself and may be caught on the Blago tapes. It's...

View more questions Search