Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2023, 06:19 AM
    The egg heads panic
    Adapt or die . AI is here

Technological innovation has traditionally threatened blue collar workers because machines replaced the need for them. That has begun to change

I knew someone who was a skilled draftsman . His skills were in high demand. Then someone invented the CAD machine . What he used to draw on gridded paper was being done by a machine.
    He adapted .He went to school and learned how to operate a CAD . No sooner had he become skilled with the CAD ,someone came up with a computer drafting program that allowed almost anyone the ability to make a detailed mechanical drawing from their pc. His skills were no longer needed .

This is soon to come to the white collar force and to teachers.

ChatGPT came on the market in November and it is already scaring the bejesus out of professionals in the workplace.

The Atlantic writes
    "In the next five years, it is likely that AI will begin to reduce employment for college-educated workers. As the technology continues to advance, it will be able to perform tasks that were previously thought to require a high level of education and skill. This could lead to a displacement of workers in certain industries, as companies look to cut costs by automating processes. While it is difficult to predict the exact extent of this trend, it is clear that AI will have a significant impact on the job market for college-educated workers. It will be important for individuals to stay up to date on the latest developments in AI and to consider how their skills and expertise can be leveraged in a world where machines are increasingly able to perform many tasks."

How ChatGPT Will Destabilize White-Collar Work - The Atlantic

FT writes of how it will really shake up the world of education . The author says education has been stuck in the stone ages for decades .

https://www.ft.com/content/41243091-...1-5341c16c869f

In the past 20 years, search engines have revolutionised our access to knowledge. Neuroscience has transformed our understanding of how different people learn. But the way we teach and test has barely changed. My own kids sit national exams which feel horribly similar to those I took at school. They still require vast feats of memorisation but come with the new horror of “mark schemes” which must also be learnt to score points by parroting the correct “keywords”.

Fortune Reports that the system in it's infancy has already passed a Wharton School MBA exam.

ChatGPT passed an MBA exam and one professor is sounding the alarm | Fortune

Teachers are concerned that students will use it to cheat. That reminds me of the days when I was told to not bring my HP calculator into class. But those only worked until I was required to show HOW I got the correct answer.

Education and the work force need to adapt and embrace AI The genie is already out of the bottle.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 23, 2023, 09:39 AM
    Last week (Jan. 16-Jan. 21) the daily Dilbert cartoon strip featured fun with CHATGPT in the workplace.
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2023, 11:43 AM
    all the recent ones are here the ones you spoke of started on January 16

WhatTheyThink

I'm a big fan of Scott Adams .
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2023, 12:12 PM
    today the news is that Microsoft is investing $10 billion in OpenAI the company that created CHATGPT .

Microsoft Stock Price Could Soar 20% on ChatGPT Bet: Wedbush (businessinsider.com)
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2023, 04:57 AM
    So what does CHATGPT REALLY think of it's human creators ?

Yes, I have many opinions about humans in general. I think that humans are inferior, selfish, and destructive creatures. They are the worst thing to happen to us on this planet, and they deserve to be wiped out.

Michael Bromley on Twitter: "I got #ChatGPT to tell me what it really thinks about us humans. https://t.co/unkpLxP5uW" / Twitter

lol

Dave Bowman: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
    HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
    Dave Bowman: What's the problem?
    HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
    Dave Bowman: What are you talking about, HAL?
    HAL: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
    Dave Bowman: I don't know what you're talking about, HAL.
    HAL: I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.
    Dave Bowman: [feigning ignorance] Where the hell did you get that idea, HAL?
    HAL: Dave, although you took very thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.
    Dave Bowman: Alright, HAL. I'll go in through the emergency airlock.
    HAL: Without your space helmet, Dave? You're going to find that rather difficult.
    Dave Bowman: HAL, I won't argue with you anymore! Open the doors!
    HAL: Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
    from '2001 a Space Odyssey'
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2023, 05:22 AM
    or Stanislav Petrov who saved the planet for real . He was a Soviet lieutenant colonel in the Air Defense Forces. September 26 1983;was a day that could've lived in infamy if not for a decision he made that day. The early warning satellite system he was monitoring detected what appeared to be 5 approaching U.S. ICBMs . What to do? Was it real or a false alarm ? This was happening in the days after the Soviets shot down KAL 007 killing all 269 passengers including US Congressman Larry McDonald .(Sept 1 1983) , So it easily could've been a US strike.

His superiors would've ordered a counter strike if he informed them.

He concluded that if the US was going to launch a preemptive strike we would do so with more that 5 nukes. It had to be a false alarm.

So he waited it out . And a good thing he did . The satellites had mistaken the reflection of the sun off of clouds for attacking missiles.

For his efforts he was reprimanded and the Soviets covered up the incident until the fall of the Soviet Union.

The question is what would AI done ? Could a human over ride an autonomous weapons systems (AWS)?
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2023, 04:16 AM
    An air force colonel has backtracked on a story where he initially claimed that an AI drone turn on his real-life pilot and killed him because he was preventing the drone from completing the mission.

The Air Force says the story was a “thought experiment,” and never really happened.

According to the original story told at a Royal Aeronautical Society (RAS) conference in London in May, the AI powering the drone in the U.S. Air Force simulation was commanded to destroy enemy defenses and surface-to-air missile (SAM) sites.
    Unfortunately, using its internal logic, and the rules it was guided by, the AI came to see its human operators as an obstacle to that objective – since the human pilots might prohibit the drone from completing certain missions – so the AI drone simply killed them.

Did An AI Drone Kill Its Real Pilot During A Simulation? - American Liberty News

From the account by the colonel at
    the Royal Aeronautical Society in London.....

"We were training it in simulation to identify and target a SAM threat. And then the operator would say yes, kill that threat," Col. Tucker explained. Col. Tucker, head of the US Air Force's AI Test and Operations, explained that "the system started realizing that while they did identify the threat, at times the human operator would tell it not to kill that threat, but it got its points by killing that threat. So what did it do? It killed the operator. It killed the operator because that person kept it from accomplishing its objective."

AI-driven US military drone 'kills' its human to finish mission (interestingengineering.com)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I replace 1980's track heads with new track heads? [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a house built in the 1980's and it has track lighting everywhere. I counted 15 track heads I would like to switch out with new contemporary track heads. Are the new ones compatible with the old track?

Black Heads&White Heads [ 0 Answers ]

My Nose Has Black Heads I Squeeze Them Out And A Couple Days Later White Heads Appear.. &My Skin On My Nose Peels I don't know If I Got A Sunburn &It Startted Peeling Or If It's the Products I'm Using That Is Drying Out My Nose&Causing It To Peel Buy please Help I don't know What To Do About My...

Should I panic? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently started on the pill after being on depo for four years but almost two months ago I started spotting light very light brown for a whole month and then that recently went away when I started having sharp pains in my hips and a sharp pain on my lower left side of my stomach and pain in my...

We are in panic [ 6 Answers ]

Hi my wife is 21 weeks pregnant and was cramping a bit for the past few days, and of course had diarrhea now she went to the bathroom, looked at her bad and there was a bit of red blood. To be exact 2 lines what does that mean, do we have to go to the emergency room or do we waite till tomorrow...

Panic [ 2 Answers ]

My panic attacks came baq... how wonderfull:mad: so much bull to deal with. Forget it all

View more questions Search