Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2023, 04:13 PM
    Santos
    This is the strangest political story I have ever seen, ever. Hollywood could not do it any better. Every day more info is made public about the latest bizarre tale of this character.

Latest is he claims to be a volleyball star at Baruch College. Baruch College never heard of him. He had a salary from a firm that was accused of a Ponzi scheme. That may be the illegal one that will force the Repubs to throw him out since they do not want to throw him out because his vote matters and his district is blue.

Partei Uber Alles.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2023, 06:21 AM
    Sounds almost as bizarre as a former first lady claiming to have landed in a military aircraft under fire in Kosovo, being hustled off the plane along with her daughter and then driven off the tarmac at high speed to avoid sniper fire. Now this is, of course, the former first lady that some here supported for pres, so strange stories evidently are only bad when they happen to repubs.

Name:  hillary.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  14.3 KB
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2023, 07:00 AM
    It is true that the Nassau County Repubs have no bench to speak of unless Nassau County Executive Bruce Blakeman gives it a go. In 2 years the Dems will have the seat back.

Expulsion is not happening . Since the Civil War only 2 Reps were expelled ;and both had criminal convictions (Michael Myers for Abscam and James Traficant for multiple charges )
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2023, 07:10 AM
    Biden yesterday. "We have to remember who in God's name we are. You've heard me say it many times. This is the United States of America. There's nothing, nothing beyond our capacity if we work together."

His reminder was a good one. We do need to remember, "who in God's name we are." His conclusion is his problem. "Pride goes before a fall."
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2023, 09:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Expulsion is not happening[
    I think it will happen. This guy is such a dirtbag, they'll get him on a criminal charge sooner or later. The voters could also recall him, but unlikely.
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2023, 10:04 AM
    There are no recall provisions in NY law or the constitution of the state . State and local officials can be removed by the State Supreme Court . There is also no recall provision anywhere for Federal elected office holders Some states have unconstitutional recall provisions for Congress that have never been tested .The closest test case was US Term limits v Thornton .SCOTUS ruled that states did not have the right to impose new terms, qualifications, or conditions of service on federal officials.

Maybe Santos will be charged . It is doubtful he would be convicted before his term ends .
    Bottom line is that I am sure he will not run in 2 years . He is one term and done. The Constitution allows for convicted Reps to serve ;even from prison. But I suspect that he would be expelled if there were an indictment .

Neither party's rules calls for expulsion due to convictions .

Conviction

The rules of both the Democratic and Republican parties in the House provide that a Member who has been convicted of a felony for which a sentence of two years or more may be imposed (or who has been censured by the House) loses his or her committee chairmanship,8 and the House Democratic Caucus Rules provide for the removal from a leadership position of any such Member.9
    Status of a Member of the House Who Has Been Indicted for or Convicted of a Felony - EveryCRSReport.com
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2023, 10:21 AM
    There are no recall provisions in NY law or the constitution of the state . State and local officials can be removed by the State Supreme Court
    Very interesting. I did not know that. Thank you.

As I understand it, the district voters still have an option to petition the Supreme Court.
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2023, 01:10 PM
    .;since they do not want to throw him out because his vote matters and his district is blue.
    yes it was a rare opportunity for the Repubs to pick up a predominantly Dem district , But consider that the voters in the district were so fed up with the Dem performance with inflation ,crime and education policies that they were willing to throw the bums out without even vetting the opponent .

Where was Newsday ? As a kid I built a paper route selling that paper that was large enough to be split into 3 separate routes when I left to work at the local movie theater . Why did they not do any gumshoe reporting ? Have they forgotten how as they revert to increasingly relying on national press releases ?

One local paper got the story right ?

Santos Filings Now Claim Net Worth of $11 Million (theleaderonline.com)

Endorsement: Robert Zimmerman for US Congress (NY3) (theleaderonline.com)

The North Shore Leader ? Who reads that ?

Before I started with Newsweek I had a route with 'The Suffolk Sun.' I jumped ship .That paper went belly up or got taken over (I forget which) . They had some good local reporters that had a good pulse of the community. Those days are gone except for the rare reporter who does what reporters used to do as a profession.

Other issue..... are Santos embellishments a matter of degree ? When Clueless Joe does it ;it is Joe being Joe He repeatedly says false things and says them with the conviction of a belief that what he says is real.
    How many listeners will take it as a fact that he had a dying uncle Frank who turned down a Purple Heart medal for wounds he received in the Battle of the Bulge because he lived while his buddies died ? Who has the time or the desire to examine every lie a politician tells ? That is why the 4th estate is not supposed to be a compliant press.
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2023, 02:21 PM
    yes it was a rare opportunity for the Repubs to pick up a predominantly Dem district , One local paper got the story right ? The North Shore Leader ? Who reads that ?
    Apparently nobody reads it - not the main press (Newsday, NYTimes), until the very last minute the Times ran it, but too late. No op research - not that unusual. In my day, the north shore wasn't very political, at least it seemed not to me. I'd take the Q44 from the Bronx to Flushing, connect with my girlfriend who ultimately became GU (Geographically Undesireable) and head over to Huntington where a friend tended bar. My guess is Santos is one of those guys who can sell ice to eskimoes. Gift of gab and all that.

Other issue..... are Santos embellishments a matter of degree ? When Clueless Joe does it ;it is Joe being Joe He repeatedly says false things and says them with the conviction of a belief that what he says is real.
    That is why the 4th estate is not supposed to be a compliant press
    No comparison Biden and SANTOS. Joe fibs here and there, Santos made up his entire life and may be involved in some heavy financial mischief - criminal. Not unlike Trump docs and Biden docs - Garland caved to pressure assigning Special Counsel to Joe. Trump's doc activity was a felony. Joe an honest mistake.

You right-wingers always talk about a compliant press. Your "compliant" is defined as a press reporting facts that you don't like, hence it's compliant. If you want to see compliant and outright fake at times, watch the FOX Cable channel and those three prima donnas on at prime-time. One is worse than the next one.
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2023, 02:48 PM
    I don't waste my time on prime time opinion. Even News Nation hired Fredo Cuomo and dares to call itself objective .
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2023, 03:21 PM
    Joe fibs here and there
    That's one way of putting it. But then there's this.

He told a New Hampshire crowd of “having had a house burn down with my wife in it — she got out safely, God willing.” He declared that "everything was ruined" from the basement to the attic and "we almost lost a couple firefighters" when lightning struck his home 15 years ago. In fact, the Associated Press reports, it was a minor kitchen fire, with no damage visible from outside.

He has spoken about a chat with an Amtrak conductor in his seventh year as vice president, when the guy retired 15 years before Biden became veep and had died by the year of the tale.

Biden claims he was offered a job by an Idaho lumber company; they have no record. He claims he “used to drive” an 18-wheeler — it didn’t happen.

He’s said he visited Pittsburgh’s Tree of Life synagogue after the 2018 massacre, speaking to the rabbi, when the synagogue says he’s never even been there.

He has falsely claimed he was "appointed" to the Naval Academy when he was not.

He has dishonestly said he was arrested in South Africa. Not true.

He bragged he was arrested during the civil rights movement. Not true.

He once claimed he was "sort of raised in the Puerto Rican community at home." Uhm...nope.

He said he finished at the top of his law school class. Truth is, he finished near the bottom.

He had to drop out of the 1988 presidential race due to plagiarism.

When we were in an economic recession, he constantly claimed we were not.

He claimed he had to withdraw from Afghanistan because of an agreement signed by Trump. That was ridiculously untrue. He was in no way bound by the agreement.

Biden claimed that the U.S. spent more in Iraq in one month than it has in Afghanistan in six or seven years. Turns out his figures were only off by by 2000 percent.

He claimed we kicked, along with France, Hezbollah out of Lebanon. It was a claim that was ridiculously untrue.

He stated, “Look, all you have to do is go down Union Street with me in Wilmington or go to Katie’s Restaurant or walk into Home Depot with me where I spend a lot of time and you ask anybody in there whether or not the economic and foreign policy of this administration has made them better off in the last eight years.” Katie's Restaurant had been closed for years.

Biden claimed that late Israeli Prime Minister Golda Meir had invited him to meet with her during the Six-Day War of 1967 (he actually met with her weeks before the Yom Kippur War six years later) and, more significantly, that she had wanted him to be “the liaison between she and the Egyptians about the Suez, and so on and so forth.” Uhm...didn't happen.

Shall I go on?
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2023, 05:21 PM
    I don't waste my time on prime time opinion. Even News Nation hired Fredo Cuomo and dares to call itself objective .
    Fredo?? Lol.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 13, 2023, 06:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Fredo?? Lol.
    A Frederico "Fredo" Corleone mirror image.
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2023, 06:45 PM
    fredo im smart - Google Search
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2023, 12:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    A Frederico "Fredo" Corleone mirror image.
    You think I'm funny? I amuse you? Do I amuse you? Am I amusing? I'm funny?

I'm so amusing, maybe I'll make you an offer you can't refuse!

Hey, Charlie Two Times, get the papers, get the papers.
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2023, 07:38 AM
    No comparison Biden and SANTOS
    correct one is Dem and one is Repub. Other than that they both lie and enbellish . Santos probably lied on his financials . Quid Pro Joe aka 'The Big Guy" has equally lied about the amount of payolla he gets from the Biden crime family businesses.
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2023, 10:37 AM
    correct one is Dem and one is Repub. Other than that they both lie and enbellish . Santos probably lied on his financials . Quid Pro Joe aka 'The Big Guy" has equally lied about the amount of payolla he gets from the Biden crime family businesses.
    Apples and pomegranates.

Biden tells baby fibs. Trump threatens the stability of the entire planet by threatening to pull out of NATO, being a role model for fascist leaders worldwide, runs a company convicted of fraud, tax evasion and half a dozen other felonies. Trump's company fined the maximum amount allowed under the law.

Biden, as far as is known, never tried to overthrow the United States Government. Trump planned, organized and tried to carry out that very thing. Only the brave actions of dedicated patriots stopped Trump from his evil plan.

Can't prove it (YET!) but Trump surely intended to sell those classified secrets he stole to the Russians in exchange for a Trump Tower in Moscow.

The remaining top secret classified material was intended for China to secure favorable treatment for his daughter Ivanka's business deals in China.

Biden and Trump equally bad? Not by a long shot!!
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2023, 10:50 AM
    Biden tells baby fibs.
    Yep. No bias there. The post above clearly shows that this assertion is, itself, an adult fib.

Can't prove it (YET!) but Trump surely intended to sell those classified secrets he stole to the Russians in exchange for a Trump Tower in Moscow.

The remaining top secret classified material was intended for China to secure favorable treatment for his daughter Ivanka's business deals in China.
    We know that HB has been collaborating with the Ukes, and yet who is being suspected of selling secrets to the Russians? Trump? Hmmm. The TDS folks really need a flag.
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2023, 06:40 PM
    the lie of the day

Joe Biden Says He Went To A Black Church "Every Morning," But Nobody Remembers That Ever Happening - YouTube
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 15, 2023, 07:04 PM
    After church, Joe and I would go to a nearby diner for a nice brunch. How the waitresses loved our big tips! Then, on warm, sunny days, we'd put the top down on his T-bird and bump along on country roads, watching for deer in the pine forests. We'd sing our favorite hymns, "Onward Christian Soldiers" and "For All the Saints" and even "Rise and Shine" ("Arky, Arky")."
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=56QWeYtHW0k

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search