Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 18, 2023, 04:19 PM
    And who wrote down those words?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2023, 04:22 PM
    That's a completely different issue. But if you want to question the reliability of the Gospel accounts, then you have to question ALL of the words. Not just the ones that appeal to your preconceptions, but ALL of them. Do you want to go there?

And if you only want to appeal only against SOME of them, then you must have good reasons for those doubts. You never have in the past, and I feel certain you don't now.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 18, 2023, 04:27 PM
    Your response was well-written and thought-provoking until this:
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    You never have in the past, and I feel certain you don't now.
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2023, 06:37 PM
    You never have in the past, and I feel certain you don't now.
    It wasn't intended to be personal. Just ignore it.

Forgive me if I offended you. I sometimes just don't know how to respond to you. This has all been talked about in abundance months ago, so I guess I don't see the point of your question now, but I did not intend to be harsh.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 6, 2023, 02:00 PM
    Let's not worry about hell. Instead, as Jesus urged, "love one another."

Uber Member

Feb 6, 2023, 02:37 PM
    I think the point is that salvation is not based upon good works, but rather is verified by our good works. Otherwise, it does not fit in with the rest of scripture.

To neglect to tell a person about a day of coming judgment, which is spoken of in that very Matthew 25 passage as well as many others, is not an act of love, but rather an act of hate.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 6, 2023, 03:17 PM
    I disagree. Salvation is love in action.
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2023, 03:21 PM
    What is your scripture for that? Paul makes it very clear in Romans 3 that salvation can never be earned by good works, a truth also made clear in John 3 and a number of other passages.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 6, 2023, 03:49 PM
    Jesus' death on the cross was love in action.

I didn't say anything about earning salvation. Just love. Love one another.
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2023, 03:55 PM
    Sure you did. "Salvation is love in action."
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 6, 2023, 04:03 PM
    Jesus did the earning by giving up His life for us. Now we are to love others with the same intensity and totality as He loved us.

Preach -- and demonstrate by your own actions -- selfless love.
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2023, 05:36 PM
    Preach -- and demonstrate by your own actions -- selfless love.
    So in what way is neglecting to tell a person about a coming day of judgment an act of "selfless love"?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 6, 2023, 06:13 PM
    The concern about and even fear of "hell" is not the correct incentive to do good, to love. We don't say (and teach our children to say), "I'm not going to punch my sibling (or lie to Mom or kick the dog or shoplift) because then I will end up in hell."
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2023, 06:58 PM
    So Jesus was wrong in what He said?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 6, 2023, 07:13 PM
    Wrong about what? A day of judgment? Judgment isn't necessarily negative.

Judgment - the cognitive process of reaching a decision or drawing a conclusion.
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2023, 08:28 PM
    Oh come on. That's ridiculous and you know it. Your definition can fit "judgment" in some uses, but clearly not in the way it is used in Mt. 25. Every single author in the NT mentions a coming day of judgment. It's just interesting that they felt people should know about this, but you have decided otherwise. Do you know more than them?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 6, 2023, 08:33 PM
    They were male, just like you. They wanted people they considered bad to suffer in Hell FOREVER!!!! They punished their misbehaving children, made them sit on the naughty chair and spanked them so they'd be good.
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2023, 08:37 PM
    You might want to consider that sometimes you're just wrong, and it has nothing to do with gender. Even worse, you have included Jesus in that plainly wrong group.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 6, 2023, 08:42 PM
    Jesus paid the price for all of us. And He didn't have children. Oh, yeah, "Scripture records few instances of Jesus interacting with children, but in each one we see Jesus treat the children with kindness and love, therefore showing how much He values them."
    https://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-and-children.html
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2023, 08:53 PM
    They were male, just like you. They wanted people they considered bad to suffer in Hell FOREVER!!!!
    Do you think there is some chance that they knew more than "Wondergirl"? Well, it's hard to imagine you would say that about Jesus, that being a man, he wants everyone considered bad to suffer in Hell FOREVER, but it seems to be what you do when you are plainly wrong. Rather than just change your views, you lash out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do Christians justify Hell? [ 21 Answers ]

I'm not trying to be offensive in my question. I've been trying to find faith after a stressful time in my life and I feel a slight pull towards Christianity. One thing I have trouble getting over in Christianity is the concept of Hell... How is it anyway justifiable? God gives small evidence of...

In hell. [ 4 Answers ]

I work for the VA. I work with an irritating individual. She quests for power and does everything to get it. I was detailed to another department which I loved. Now I am back And although I have spoken with her superiors, she is still quietly making my (our) Workplace a hostile one. For...

What the hell is going on? [ 14 Answers ]

OK so I met a girl just over a month ago, we went out 3 times, she is a year older than me, and we seemed to really get on and like each other. I accept she is rubbish at replying to text messages, and fb messages, But we went out on Monday, spent all day 2gther, she kept asking to come and see my...

View more questions Search