Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2023, 10:09 AM
    From "Loving Thy Neighbor" To "Killing Thy Neighbor"
    The attention getting title above contains an underlying truth about Christianity.

Early Christianity was known for its compassion for others and its generally peaceable nature as citizens of Rome. Its brave acceptance of death for the faith during the persecutions was widely admired and these qualities were important in bringing Christianity to be legalized under the reign of Constantine in the fourth century.

A remarkable change occurred within five years of being legalized. Christianity, now a state religion, executed its first heretic. It wasn't for murder or sedition or some major crime – it was for believing differently. The execution was approved by the established church and carried out by the secular arm – an excuse that would be repeated all the way to the Inquisition more than a thousand years later.

What was lost in Christianity as the loving message of Jesus deteriorated into a killing spree for heretics, schismatics, and apostates that lasted for well over one thousand years?

Is there a lesson here for today's Christianity?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2023, 02:34 PM
    it was for believing differently.
    Sure. Don't disparage and ignore those who believe differently from you. In what way is your behavior based on a different standard?
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2023, 05:16 PM
    What was lost in Christianity as the loving message of Jesus deteriorated into a killing spree for heretics, schismatics, and apostates that lasted for well over one thousand years?
    it wasn't something lost. It was something gained: power over other people. The Christian Church has never been able to handle having that kind of power. It goes to the church's collective head and leads to a total loss of the message of Jesus, in favor of authority and control. Constantine didn't do anybody any favors by legalizing Christianity and making it the state religion. As the old saw goes, power corrupts. The history of Christianity is a horrible testimony to that truth.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 5, 2023, 05:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    it wasn't something lost. It was something gained: power over other people.
    And which gender wielded that power and caused corruption? Yes, men.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2023, 06:40 PM
    Wondergirl
    it wasn't something lost. It was something gained: power over other people.
    And which gender wielded that power and caused corruption? Yes, men.
    No argument here. Men have started all the wars, created all the racism and genocides, you name it. I'm proud to say that my US Rep and both my Senators are women, and they're very effective. My state rep is a man and he's as useful as a sore foot. QED.
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2023, 07:32 PM
    No argument here. Men have started all the wars, created all the racism and genocides, you name it. I'm proud to say that my US Rep and both my Senators are women, and they're very effective. My state rep is a man and he's as useful as a sore foot. QED.
    Uh oh, the subject of the pros and/or cons of men and/vs/or women is a different topic - let's not stray from the important point here about Xtnty.

Nobody answered the question - Is there a lesson here for today's Christianity?

Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 5, 2023, 08:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Is there a lesson here for today's Christianity?

...believing differently...
    I'm thinking was -- and still is -- fear. But fear of what? If others rejected Christianity, why was that a fearful thing for Christians?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2023, 06:54 AM
    No argument here. Men have started all the wars, created all the racism and genocides, you name it. I'm proud to say that my US Rep and both my Senators are women,
    You failed to mention that men have been responsible for practically all of the inventions and science discoveries in history, have been the ones to surrender their lives in defense of country against aggressors, have been at the forefront of the spreading of the Gospel, formed the core group of the disciples of Jesus, have built practically every building, structure, and highway on the planet, and were responsible for the founding of the country that we all enjoy living in.

Note to other readers (if there are any). This group of three seems to dislike dissent or serious questions, so they will not respond to this. I just thought you might want to read a balancing opinion that you are unlikely to get from them.
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2023, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I'm thinking was -- and still is -- fear. But fear of what? If others rejected Christianity, why was that a fearful thing for Christians?
    I was thinking more along the lines of today's Christians that have politicized their faith

The main group who has done this are the white evangelicals who are the core of the Trump cult. So much of Trump and his cult are diametrically opposed to Christianity - the evangelicals are fully aware of this - yet they persist in claiming Trump as their leader.

Christianity has a role to play in issues of morality and justice, but when they align themselves with a political party that does not always reflect those values, they are treading on dangerous ground.

The great example is the medieval Catholic Church which, among numerous highly beneficial ideas which are fundamental to a just society and are the bedrock of western civilization, was also tainted by the political power they gained leading to atrocious activities far removed from any message of Jesus Christ.

Lest I be perceived as anti-Catholic, I include the post-Reformation Protestants falling into the same trap even while they developed just models of societal behavior. The Quakers are a wonderful example as is the development of Capitalism.

As noted above by DW, power corrupts. Churches are not immune from corruption.

It is not Jesus the white evangelicals seek. They have made a pact with the devil to gain power to make this nation what they see as a Christian nation. They have accepted a type of Antichrist in Trump to achieve this goal. One only need look to previous centuries of faith-run societies to know what the evangelicals portend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"Bizarre", "Lunacy", "Dangerous", "Idiotic" [ 401 Answers ]

These are some of the global reactions to Trump's incredibly moronic idea of doctors testing the injection of disinfectants into the human body to cure Covid-19. The makers of Lysol had to go so far as to issue a statement that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should any of their products be injected,...

Lyrics "now the rain." " I was watching for the people"... "started to pray"... [ 1 Answers ]

This was a song that used to play on 'western music' in early 90's. It was sung by a male with a chorus... can someone help me please...

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

View more questions Search