Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2022, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    Jews, definitely, though the existence of Jews For Jesus reinforces my point about God dealing with individual hearts.
    Jews for Jesus is a recently formed non-profit that has been thoroughly dismissed as Jewish by actual Jews and even by Israeli courts. With all due respect, I don't know what you mean by citing this organization as reinforcing your point about God dealing with individual hearts. By such reasoning, WICCA is about God dealing with individual hearts.

I call it a stickier situation because ......... I know one view says Jesus really was the Son of God and savior
    Muslims do not believe Jesus is the son of God, never have believed that. Muslims believe that Jesus is a prophet, a precursor to Muhammad. Please expand on your claim that "I know one view says Jesus really was the Son of God and savior."
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2022, 05:14 PM
    Jews for Jesus has been around since 1973 and informally even before then. If being "Jewish" means the membership is overwhelmingly Jewish, then they are pretty Jewish. The idea is that they are Jews who accept Christ as the genuine Messiah. They would all say that God brought conviction concerning Christ to each one individually. They have quite a number of testimonies here.

Home - Jews for Jesus

Muslims do not believe Jesus is the son of God, never have believed that,
    I think that's pretty much right.

The latest court case I'm aware of was very much a victory for Christians in Israel.

Messianic Jews in Israel Win Important Supreme Court Victory | CBN News
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2022, 06:12 PM
    Athos
    Jews, definitely, though the existence of Jews For Jesus reinforces my point about God dealing with individual hearts.
    Jews for Jesus is a recently formed non-profit that has been thoroughly dismissed as Jewish by actual Jews and even by Israeli courts.
    I cite them purely as an example of what have come to be called Messianic Jews. I don't know that anybody but themselves is qualified to judge their Jewishness, courts or otherwise, but I haven't looked at it that closely. If that name offends, then there are lots of Jews who have come to accept Jesus as their Messiah.

Muslims do not believe Jesus is the son of God, never have believed that. Muslims believe that Jesus is a prophet, a precursor to Muhammad. Please expand on your claim that "I know one view says Jesus really was the Son of God and savior."
    I wish I could remember. It was on a board somewhere, but I couldn't tell you where or when now. It stayed with me because it was a bit of a shock.
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2022, 08:59 PM
    As happens on these boards, we're straying far from the topic which is -- Must one believe that Jesus is God in order to be saved? I gave it a definite NO, belief in Jesus as God is NOT necessary. Now we're into Israeli courts (my fault) deciding tax-exempt issues for Jews for Jesus. Let me try to do this point by point.

Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Jews for Jesus has been around since 1973 and informally even before then.
    Agreed. That's what I meant when I said "recent". I.e., not a few thousand years.

If being "Jewish" means the membership is overwhelmingly Jewish, then they are pretty Jewish.
    On this one, I disagree. That's not what being "Jewish" means in the sense we're discussing here. Simply having Jewish members does not automatically mean an organization is Jewish. The movie studio MGM was formed by Jews but no one ever said or now says MGM is or was a Jewish organization (in the sense we mean here). My softball team in the Bronx was overwhelmingly Jewish, (8 were Jews, 2 were Christians - we played with a "short"-center-fielder to account for 10 on a side with "short" referring to field position, not height) but nobody thought we were a Jewish softball team

To be a "Jewish" organization, it must have a specific Jewish raison d'etre to be so. Even then, its "Jewishness" may be debatable. For example, say an organization is formed that requires members to be Jews and its purpose is to destroy Israel on behalf of Iran. Sound way out there? Sure. But not too far from Jews For Jesus whose purpose is believing Jesus is the Christian Messiah which is diametrically opposed to Jewish theology.

The idea is that they are Jews who accept Christ as the genuine Messiah.
    If that were all there is to it, they might be acceptable as an offshoot of mainstream Jewish theology, but that is not all. They also believe in the Holy Trinity as described by Christians and that Jesus is God. To the Jews, the genuine Messiah was not God. The Messiah was to lead the Jewish nation in several ways, but never as God.

They would all say that God brought conviction concerning Christ to each one individually.
    Human beings say all sorts of things. How do you know what "all of them would say". Some Christians say snakes can talk. Are we all to believe that because they say it?

They have quite a number of testimonies here.

Home - Jews for Jesus
    Testimonies are a dime-a-dozen in every religion.

The latest court case I'm aware of was very much a victory for Christians in Israel.

Messianic Jews in Israel Win Important Supreme Court Victory | CBN News
    Your link refers to Messianic Jews winning a tax case. Are you now saying Messianic Jews are Christians?

It's good to see that you now seem to believe that Muslims do not believe Jesus is the Son of God. Thank you.

Getting back to the topic. Are you now able to declare that salvation does not depend on believing Jesus is God? Or is it still up in the air for you? Either way is OK with me. I just want to bring the discussion to a close now that all parties have had their say.
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2023, 06:41 AM
    To be a "Jewish" organization, it must have a specific Jewish raison d'etre to be so. Even then, its "Jewishness" may be debatable. For example, say an organization is formed that requires members to be Jews and its purpose is to destroy Israel on behalf of Iran. Sound way out there? Sure. But not too far from Jews For Jesus whose purpose is believing Jesus is the Christian Messiah which is diametrically opposed to Jewish theology.
    To be Jewish is to claim to be a descendant of the original Jewish population of Israel. That being the case, Jews for Jesus are as Jewish as any other Jewish organization. Many Jews are strictly secular and have no real interest in Jewish theology.

Human beings say all sorts of things. How do you know what "all of them would say". Some Christians say snakes can talk. Are we all to believe that because they say it?
    Listen to their testimonies. See for yourself. I've never met a Christian who says snakes can talk.

Your link refers to Messianic Jews winning a tax case. Are you now saying Messianic Jews are Christians?
    Yes. They would as well. Practically all of the early Christians were Jews. It's not a startling suggestion. One can legitimately be both.

It's good to see that you now seem to believe that Muslims do not believe Jesus is the Son of God. Thank you.
    Never believed otherwise.
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2023, 09:39 AM
    Never believed otherwise.
    I thought I was replying to dwashbur. I'll have to be more careful in the future.
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2023, 01:02 PM
    I thought I was replying to dwashbur. I'll have to be more careful in the future.
    I figured that was the case when you asked about the Muslim comment.

I would suggest care. Wouldn't want to have your thinking challenged in any serious way.
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2023, 03:15 PM
    The structure of posts on this board can get confusing, no doubt about that.
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2023, 03:53 PM
    Except for this one time, I'm usually ok with the structure. What I LOVE about this board is the ability to proofread one's reply in the preview section which allows corrections, edits, and basically an improved post.

Wouldn't want to have your thinking challenged in any serious way.
    I welcome challenges to my thinking, always have, serious or not serious. It is YOUR thinking I usually ignore, for the many reasons I have previously given you.

I'm sure you will reply, and I am just as sure I will continue to ignore you like others here have done. The life of a troll is lonely.
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2023, 04:46 PM
    Can’t beat ‘em, ignore em.
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2023, 09:00 AM
    Athos
    Except for this one time, I'm usually ok with the structure. What I LOVE about this board is the ability to proofread one's reply in the preview section which allows corrections, edits, and basically an improved post.
    The part I really don't like is when I go to make a separate post and it automatically tacks it onto the end of a previous one. I have yet to figure out how to get it to stop doing that.
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2023, 02:48 PM
    The part I really don't like is when I go to make a separate post and it automatically tacks it onto the end of a previous one. I have yet to figure out how to get it to stop doing that.

Another small disagreement (smile). I like that feature - appeals to my sense of efficiency. The thing I dislike the most is the touchy moderation which is sometimes too quick on the trigger to close a thread.

Even worse is the moderator who arbitrarily deleted comments of mine because he personally did not like what I posted. My post was perfectly fine, mind you, he just didn't like it and gave that as his reason. This happened a long time ago and when I complained to "management", the person that I complained to was shocked and said he would look into right away and get back to me. He never got back to me.

The two moderators in question are still here, one still moderating and the other lurking, presumably.

The owner has always been excellent and helpful.
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2023, 03:00 PM
    Getting back to the original question, my mind consistently comes back to Cornelius and his family. Peter didn't even get a chance to wrap up his sermon and give an invitation and the Spirit came on them, indicating that they were believers, they trusted Jesus.
    The question then becomes, WHAT did they believe? What did their hearts latch onto that changed their lives? The crux of Peter's message seems to have usually been "God raised Jesus from the dead, and trusting in him brings forgiveness of your sins and the Holy Spirit." Nothing about Jesus being God, in fact Peter never seemed to address the question.
    So I would have to say, does someone have to believe Jesus is God to be saved? No. Do they need to believe in his resurrection to be saved? Yes. What about people before his resurrection? I come back to the thief on the cross and the tax collector in the temple. God, be merciful to me, remember me when you come into your kingdom. On the other side we have the Sanhedrin, who spread a false rumor that the disciples stole the body. That's deliberate rejection, so they aren't saved.
    Back to you, my friend.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 2, 2023, 03:56 PM
    Meanwhile, love one another.
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2023, 03:58 PM
    So I would have to say, does someone have to believe Jesus is God to be saved? No.
    I agree. My reasons are not the same as yours, but agreement nonetheless.

Do they need to believe in his resurrection to be saved? Yes.
    Disagree. Isn't that essentially the same question, asked in a different way?

What about people before his resurrection? I come back to the thief on the cross and the tax collector in the temple. God, be merciful to me, remember me when you come into your kingdom.
    And those a thousand years before Jesus? Ten thousand years? Those, post Jesus, who never heard of him? Or, having heard, did not believe? Like all the good Hindus, Jews, Muslims over the years?

On the other side we have the Sanhedrin, who spread a false rumor that the disciples stole the body.
    How do we know they thought the rumor was false? Could they have believed it? Anyway, it's pretty much irrelevant re the topic.

That's deliberate rejection
    Rejection vs. deliberate rejection. I'm not sure what non-deliberate rejection may be. Isn't all rejection deliberate?

so they aren't saved.
    A clarification needed: does "aren't saved" therefore mean that they spend eternity in a fiery torture chamber created by an all-loving God? We're back to the beginning.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 2, 2023, 04:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    A clarification needed: does "aren't saved" therefore mean that they spend eternity in a fiery torture chamber created by an all-loving God? We're back to the beginning.
    What about Purgatory, offering rethinking of all this and a second chance?
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2023, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Purgatory (a kind of Hindu karma) makes a lot more sense than eternal hell. That God would be a "tough love" God, like a loving Father disciplining his children.
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2023, 06:42 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    I have never seen any biblical evidence for such a place. Historically, it looks to me like purgatory is a theological construct invented to resolve certain knotty questions.

Athos
    So I would have to say, does someone have to believe Jesus is God to be saved? No.
    I agree. My reasons are not the same as yours, but agreement nonetheless.

Do they need to believe in his resurrection to be saved? Yes.
    Disagree. Isn't that essentially the same question, asked in a different way?
    Not necessarily. See Arianism.
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2023, 08:00 PM
    On the other side we have the Sanhedrin, who spread a false rumor that the disciples stole the body.
    How do we know they thought the rumor was false? Could they have believed it? Anyway, it's pretty much irrelevant re the topic.
    They said it was. They paid the guards to say it, when under ordinary circumstances the guards would have been executed for dereliction.
    It's an example of deliberate knowing rejection. They knew. They chose to reject.
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2023, 08:48 PM
    I have never seen any biblical evidence for such a place. Historically, it looks to me like purgatory is a theological construct invented to resolve certain knotty questions.

Not necessarily. See Arianism.
    OK with Arianism and Purgatory and Sanhedrin - we're drifting again away from the topic.

You said that one does NOT have to believe Jesus is God in order to be saved (post # 53). You then followed that with saying one DOES have to believe in the resurrection to be saved.

Same questions - those who lived before and after the Resurrection, those who never heard of the resurrection, those who heard of the resurrection and have not believed by rejecting it both deliberately and non-deliberately - are these people saved or not saved?

The "not saved" answer means going to hell for eternal torture even though they may have lived good lives.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resurrection [ 1 Answers ]

Peace upon all! From the points and backings made by the Muslims on the grounds that Christ didn't resurrect, it has been triggered on me that perhaps the Muslims have a definition for 'resurrection' which does not coincide with that of the Christians. What is the definition of Resurrection?...

I'm looking for a movie called Resurrection [ 5 Answers ]

Im looking for this movie on DVD! Stars Christopher Lambert: Kind of like Se7en but the killer uses body parts from his killings to make one body to Resurrect Jesus! Anybody heard of this movie or know where I can find it on DVD! THANKS!

Changed lives proof of the resurrection? [ 9 Answers ]

Christians like to point to changed lives & christians dying for their faith as proof of the resurrection of Jesus, but is this really proof ? Proponents of other religions experience changed lives & die for their faith also, but do you believe their testimony ?

The resurrection [ 31 Answers ]

Why do christians believe jesus rose from the dead ? Just because the bible says so ? Anyone think they can prove the resurrection of jesus, & do so without resorting to the bible ?

View more questions Search