Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2022, 06:50 AM
    So far the release of his taxes reveals that he hired an army of lawyers and tax consultants to get every benefit ;every loophole he could from a very convoluted tax system.

If Congress were to rewrite and simplify the tax code they would be serving our interests . This gotcha game they played with Trump's taxes has opened a door they do not want opened .
    Congress can only lawfully release taxes if it is part of a legislative agenda . Embarrassing Trump is not a legit legislative agenda. The committee has a whole 4 days to review the taxes before release. That was grossly irresponsible .

When the worm turns the Dems will regret the course they have taken
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2022, 07:21 AM
    The sad thing to me is that so many liberal dems are all for the release of Trump's taxes. Now they would have a completely different view if it was THEIR taxes that were released. The rule of law should be treasured no matter who the subject is. As you are saying, Tom, what can be done to one can, in time, be done to many others.
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2023, 02:20 PM
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 6, 2023, 02:42 PM
    Wonder why Congress did that....
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2023, 02:48 PM
    it is called gotcha
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 6, 2023, 02:50 PM
    There's a vast difference between net worth and yearly declared income, just saying.....
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2023, 04:11 PM
    none of the above mentioned started public service with that net worth they have now . Trump had the net worth and declined to take the salary he was entitled to earn as President . On top of that his companies bottom line were negatively impacted by his decision to become a public servant The rest of the above enriched themselves through public service .
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2023, 04:29 PM
    There's a vast difference between net worth and yearly declared income, just saying.....
    That's true enough, but you can't get to net worth without going through income. The real question to be asked, and it likely will remain unanswered, is how much their net worth increased during that time between taking public office and leaving public office.
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2023, 04:36 PM
    That's a great question. Any answer?
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2023, 07:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    nm line were negatively impacted by his decision to become a public servant
    Trump a public servant!!! Oh God, that's about the funniest thing ever seen on these boards. Like saying Hitler was an observant Jew. Tomder, who knew you had a sense of humor??
    BossMan

Jan 7, 2023, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    That's true enough, but you can't get to net worth without going through income. The real question to be asked, and it likely will remain unanswered, is how much their net worth increased during that time between taking public office and leaving public office.
    A retort along similar lines.
    How many self declared billionaires are on that list ?

Difficult to increase net worth if starting from a high, wouldn't you agree..
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2023, 09:31 AM
    Difficult to increase net worth if starting from a high, wouldn't you agree..
    Not sure what you mean by "a high". If you mean from a point of great wealth, then I don't know why that would be true. You might could argue that increasing net worth becomes easier the more assets you have available. In other words, profiting from investing becomes a lot easier when a person has a lot of money to invest, and that certainly increases net worth considerably,
    BossMan

Jan 7, 2023, 10:01 AM
    As ever you missed, or ignored, the point completely.
    Tom's image points out other ex-presidents increase in net worth after leaving office, however, as Mr Trump stepped back from a number of high profile business his tax return for that period reflects the reduction in his net worth.
    This neatly illustrates the difference between big business and career politicians.

To a person that has self declared as a billionaire, these 100+ million values are rather meaningless, wouldn't you agree ?
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2023, 10:11 AM
    I think you are missing the point. Businessmen are expected to make profits, and good businessmen are expected to make large profits, so Trump being worth north of a billion dollars, assuming it was done legally and honestly, is actually a point in his favor. He was successful in business. We don't expect that of pols. How, for instance, did the Pelosis manage to accumulate 170 mil in net worth with NP making a few hundred thou a year? How did the Obamas accumulate 70 mil when it was only a million or so when he took office? I'm not saying it was unethical, and as far as I'm concerned they are welcome to it, but we don't expect presidents to multiply their net worth by 5,000% in ten or twelve years.

WG earlier asked, "Wonder why Congress did that.?" That's a good question that awaits an answer other than the very good one given by Tom. What do you think?

these 100+ million values are rather meaningless, wouldn't you agree ?
    That's often the case when it happens to someone else.
    BossMan

Jan 7, 2023, 10:55 AM
    Pretty normal for senior governmental employees, especially out spoken ones from either House.
    How do those figures compare to other Ex-Presidents, or Ex-politicians from either party ?
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2023, 11:06 AM
    Pretty normal for senior governmental employees
    If that's true, should it be that way? How do elected pols who make 100 to 300 thousand a year end up worth tens of millions?

This is from Snopes. It is a dated article (2017), but the point can still be seen.

As of 2017, the Clintons were estimated to have made $240 million since Bill Clinton left office in 2001, the Obamas' combined net worth was reckoned to be about $24 million, while the Trumps' net worth was thought to have dropped to about $3.1 billion.
    Tom's question centered around why it was necessary to release Trump's income tax forms but not Clinton and Obama. Wonder why?
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2023, 11:28 AM
    Tom's image points out other ex-presidents increase in net worth after leaving office
    the posting shows net worth that increased in some cases while they were serving in office.

That would be especially true of Pelosi Schumer McConnell and Feinstein who all still held public office in 2022. In other words their net worth increased while being Congressional office holders . They made a fortune while in office, Trump sacrificed a fortune to serve.
    BossMan

Jan 7, 2023, 11:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    If that's true, should it be that way?
    No.....
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2023, 11:57 AM
    Then we sure agree on that.

The question a liberal asked but has not cared to answer. Oh well.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 7, 2023, 12:43 PM
    It was not a real question asked (note the dots after it, and no question mark). It was rhetorical.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trump Foundation Sued, Trump A Crook - NY Attorney General [ 19 Answers ]

Blatant illegal dealing by the "art of the deal" self-proclaimed "genius". First there was the fraudulent Trump University which Colludin' Donald had to pay $25 million to settle. Now it's the equally fraudulent Trump Foundation that the New York Attorney General is suing. This...

What to do if I was claimed on taxes illegally [ 2 Answers ]

I put in my taxes electronically with my wife but then we get a call saying I was already claiming myself as single and now they are saying it would take 6 months. To a year to get my taxes. What I want to know is what steps do I take to get that person and keep this from happening again?

My ex-boyfriend claimed me and our deceased son on his 2007 taxes, illegally- [ 2 Answers ]

I think. Our son passed away in 2007 at two months old, I being 16 had lived with him for a short four months, two in which I was pregnant. I moved out shortly before my son passed away, I was told I could legally claim him for the time he was alive and my ex could not because he was alive in my...

Someone ever claimed your child on taxes illegally? [ 6 Answers ]

I am very mad someone is claiming my 3 year old son on their taxes... not sure who or what I should do>>>>>>>>>:mad::mad:

. If there is collision between the president and Congress, can Congress restrain the [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help on this topic? I have to find all the information I can on this, so I can write a 2 to 4 page essay about. Thanks!

View more questions Search