Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KaranThakare Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2022, 04:39 AM
    What is Executive Functioning in Childrens ?
    PLease Help?
    RandomPerson36 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Dec 14, 2022, 04:44 PM
    Executive functions are the biological and cognitive processes involved in the development of skills children need in order to develop into well-adjusted adults.

For example, in order to succeed in school, children need to learn how to pay (and maintain) attention, follow and remember instructions, and juggle multiple tasks given to them, among other things. These skills rely on a child developing neural networks and overall brain growth in areas such as the prefrontal cortex, thalamus, hippocampus, amygdala, etc. This growth can be stimulated through things like playing and teamwork, and is further supported through healthy, loving relationships with family and friends. Eventually, children learn to apply these skills to other areas in their lives as they get older, such as work and romantic relationships, which can also help them achieve self-actualization in the future.

Executive functioning also plays a role in the development of healthy behaviors and rational decision-making. Because executive functions are not fully developed yet in children and adolescents, difficulty in breaking bad habits and impulsivity/inability to plan ahead are more frequent problems these younger populations experience compared to adults. It's also a reason why addictive substances like nicotine and alcohol shouldn't be given/encouraged at younger ages. Additionally, the lack of executive functioning plays a major role in certain neurodevelopmental disorders, like ADHD, which can have a chronic impact on childrens' lives if not recognized and left untreated.

Sorry if I wrote too much and went off on a few tangents, I hope this helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is this childrens/young adults book? [ 0 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me the title of this book, I read it at age 12. It is set in either the 18th or 19th centuries and has something to do with being on board sailing ships and then being on an island (I think). At the story's end a boy around the age of 14 or so is being held captive underground...

Childrens' Book set on River Windrush [ 0 Answers ]

I read this in the early 1960s. Three boys go on a camping expedition up the River Windrush pursued by a man in a green hat

Looking for a Childrens/YA book from late 70's/early 80's [ 3 Answers ]

It was about a young girl who lived in Manhattan. Her family was wealthy and she was kidnapped and held for ransom. Her family was very quirky and eccentric and the book was very funny - kind of madcap. Anyone have any ideas? I think the title started with "The kidnapping of......" or "The...

Childrens' visitation rights [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Jacksonville,Florida. My daughter is 14 and doesn't want to go to her dad's for the summer. At what age can she decide? Or do I have to make her go?

View more questions Search