Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2022, 07:16 PM
    I said, "We don't catch anyone." You wrote, ""We" (Christians?) "catch" sinners all the time..." And you call that a quote? You need a lesson on what a quote is. I think you need a good, long look in the mirror concerning your willingness to make it up as you go.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 3, 2022, 07:40 PM
    "It has to do with preaching the full message of the Gospel, and drawing that message from scripture."

And that entails what?

(Instead of asking me -- or anyone else here -- nicely what is meant, you throw out insults and nasty comments. Let's discuss this!)
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2022, 07:42 PM
    Read the John passage. Learn.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 3, 2022, 07:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Read the John passage. Learn.
    What does it mean to YOU???
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2022, 07:50 PM
    How do we know it worked? (Please define "worked".)
    People came to Jesus. By the dozens. You know the history of America's Great Awakenings.
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2022, 07:59 PM
    I have read that about 80% of the colonials heard Whitefield in person.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 3, 2022, 08:07 PM
    So believe in Jesus or you'll burn forever in hell?

Whitefield was a slaveowner.
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2022, 08:26 PM
    Read the John 3 passage.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 3, 2022, 08:31 PM
    No, I want you take on the situation.
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2022, 08:35 PM
    And that's the whole problem. You don't want to read the Bible and analyze your beliefs in light of what you read. I have no intention of doing it for you.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 3, 2022, 08:43 PM
    And that's the whole problem. You don't want to read the Bible and analyze your beliefs in light of what you read. I have no intention of doing it for you.
    I probably know the Bible better than you do. The situation is approaching a nonbeliever, a pagan, and introducing Jesus and the alternative of hell to him.
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2022, 08:45 PM
    I don't know if you know the Bible or not. I do know it certainly seems you don't believe much of it.

How to approach a sinner? Read the John 3 passage, for that is exactly what Jesus was doing. Once you do that, and you absorb, love, and accept it, then we can talk more.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 3, 2022, 09:09 PM
    I've read it many times. How would YOU approach a person who has no interest in religion/Christianity?
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2022, 09:34 PM
    You say you've read it, but you have not accepted and loved and believed it. Do that first, and then we can talk more.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 4, 2022, 11:22 AM
    You say you've read it, but you have not accepted and loved and believed it. Do that first, and then we can talk more.
    Stop playing judge. I hope that isn't how you approach the unchurched.
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2022, 12:51 PM
    "You say you've read it, but you have not accepted and loved and believed it. Do that first, and then we can talk more."
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 4, 2022, 01:01 PM
    Accepted and loved and believed what?
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2022, 01:14 PM
    "You say you've read it (the John 3 passage), but you have not accepted and loved and believed it. Do that first, and then we can talk more."

Or you can choose to reject it, but you need to make up your mind before we can continue.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 4, 2022, 01:26 PM
    I haven't read it?

Unlike you, Jesus has never threatened me or given me conditions to meet.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2022, 06:50 AM
    And then, of course, there is the unmistakable meaning of Mt. 25,
    Not unmistakable just because you say so. Here is the well-documented position of explaining Mt.25.

The relevant portion is “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, the righteous to eternal life”.

The Greek word aionios is used in this verse to signify everlasting and is also used in this verse to signify an age – a period of time. The correct reading is “And these will go away to an age (a period of time) of punishment, and the righteous to eternal life.” Also, and importantly, the Greek word kolasis used in this verse means “corrective punishment” - not eternal punishment. "Corrective" means the punishment will end when the sinner is corrected.

Why the two different uses of the same word? The word aionios has two meanings – eternal and an age (a limited period of time). The mistranslated verse first appears in the 5th century in Jerome's Latin Vulgate. The mistranslation has been copied ever since in the KJV and other Bibles.

Also, and more importantly, there is the internal contradiction about the nature of an omniscient and all-loving God.

I am faith bound to follow the teachings of Christ
    That assumes you know what the teachings of Christ are. You are always saying the words of Jesus are found in the Bible. Which words? Which Bible? When you say, “the Bible says,” what you are REALLY saying is, “My translation of certain Greek and Hebrew texts says"…

When you want to quote your favorite version of scriptures sacred to Christianity, you should say, “The New International Version of the Christian Scriptures,” or “The King James Version of the Christian Scriptures,” or whatever Bible you prefer of the innumerable translations in just about every language on earth, not to speak of the dozens of English versions, copies, edits, of centuries past and present.

whoever Gary Amirault is. Why on earth would anyone listen to him?
    Because Gary is a wonderful Bible teacher. Why on earth do you condemn him without knowing him?

As Martin Luther said, "Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason—I do not accept the authority of (others)...
    Note Luther's use of "plain reason". Can you honestly admit that factor into your understanding? Does belief in a talking snake contradict that factor?

Might add that any reasonably fair reading of the two primary Greek words used for hell (Gehanna and Hades) makes it clear that the words are not referring to garbage dumps or simply a location for the dead.
    They are metaphors, figures of speech recalling Israel's history to his audience and emphasizing the point Jesus is making. That is obvious in a reasonably fair reading. They are certainly not referring to an eternal torture chamber. Gehenna referred to Israel's suffering under the Babylonians and Assyrians which his audience would have immediately recognized. Sin brought that judgment upon them.

To suggest that is the case is to go off into a fantasy world.
    I'm sorry, Jl, but a cursory reading of Israel's history would have helped you understand the reference. Both words were mistranslated by Jerome as "hell" which carried the connotation of everlasting punishment. Neither term had anything to do with everlasting punishment.

Context will absolutely not allow it.
    Context is always important. You didn't have the correct context.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Welcome to hell. [ 2 Answers ]

While walking down the street one day a 'Member of Congress' is tragically hit by a truck and dies. His soul arrives in heaven and is met by St. Peter at the entrance. 'Welcome to heaven,' says St. Peter. 'Before you settle in, it seems there is a problem. We seldom see a high official...

What about Hell? [ 26 Answers ]

Earlier, I started a discussion about heaven. Whether it was a state of mind or if it was a literal physical location. So, what about hell? Another physical location with fire-ey pits and a devil running around with a pitch fork or just the absence of the peaceful loving presence of God?

View more questions Search