Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 2, 2022, 10:33 AM
    To Hell with Hell!!!
    Jesus didn’t speak of Hell, but rather, of Gehenna, as a potential punishing realm for those deemed unworthy. Gehenna was the name of the burning garbage pits outside of Jerusalem. Jesus was speaking in hyperbole in such instances – as a teaching tool to help some people be motivated to do right in this life; i.e., as a metaphorical stick. That said, he rarely spoke about “the stick” and spent far more time offering “the carrot” – describing the kingdom of God/Heaven and the merits and blessings of living in godly ways that demonstrate we’re living “kingdom lives” in God’s beloved community and realm.
    https://www.patheos.com/blogs/rogerw...ell-with-hell/
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2022, 01:54 PM
    Sorry, but Matthew 25 clearly shows that hell is far more than a garbage pit. The word "gehenna" is not even used in that text. There are a number of Greek words that translate as "hell".

He rarely spoke about the "stick"? Well, I'll be happy to post my list of over 50 passages which refer to hell and judgment. It probably has about 200 verses in those 50+ passages, and the list is far from complete. You are simply not correct in that.

41 “Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink; 43 I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.’ 44 Then they themselves also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not [e]take care of You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 2, 2022, 02:12 PM
    Who's going to Hell?

Did you watch "Young Sheldon" last night?
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2022, 02:25 PM
    Never heard of "Young Sheldon". We watch very little network TV.

Why ask me? Read Mt. 25 and take the words of Jesus to heart.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 2, 2022, 02:32 PM
    Sorry you missed that episode. It said so much!

Matthew 25 is too vague. Specifically, who is headed for Hell (or does it really exist?)?

Maybe a better question -- Who is NOT headed for Hell?
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2022, 03:00 PM
    All answered in Mt. 25 in a very specific manner including who IS and who IS NOT. If you won't believe Jesus, then why would you ask me?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 2, 2022, 03:01 PM
    Jesus didn't write that. Certainly doesn't sound like Him.
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2022, 03:02 PM
    Jesus didn't write any of the Gospels, but He is quoted extensively. This is plainly one of those places.

It's amazing that you consider yourself so familiar with how Jesus "sounds" that you can declare entire passages as not authentic.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 2, 2022, 03:49 PM
    And you know He will send many people to Hell. Who, for instance?
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2022, 04:14 PM
    The ones he described in Mt. 25. Read it for yourself.

You're trying to turn this into an argument. I'm trying to get you to listen to Jesus and make your own views subservient to His. It's not about what I "know", but rather about what He said.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 2, 2022, 04:33 PM
    Jesus and I were happily chatting long before you were a twinkle in your daddy's eye.

Did you read the link I posted at the beginning of this thread?
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2022, 04:59 PM
    If you were "chatting" with Jesus, then you would accept what He said. I don't think He said, "WG, just pick and choose from my statements based upon your own preconceived ideas."
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 2, 2022, 05:27 PM
    Nope. Jesus told me to love others and always look for the best in them, to help them as needed, to encourage them to also show love to others.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2022, 05:36 PM
    There actually are no Biblical references to hell as the word is understood today. The four words in the Bible that are translated as hell are Tartarus, Sheol, Hades, and Gehenna.

Tartarus was both a Greek deity and a place where the gods were punished.
    Sheol from Hebrew meaning abode of the dead.
    Hades – Greek translation of Sheol, and a Greek word for a mythological god.
    Gehenna was a city dump outside Jerusalem.

None of these words referred to a place of eternal torment for sinners or unbelievers after death. By the 5th century, hell as eternal torture was defined by Augustine. It was a belief considered so immoral, it led to the gentler idea of purgatory taken from Persian and Egyptian mythology where the sinners would be purged from their sins before eventually entering heaven.

Earlier, church fathers were a mixed bag about hell. Athenagoras taught an eternal torture chamber for sinners. Origen taught the opposite – that sinners would eventually be restored to God including Satan. Iraneus taught the sinners would be destroyed, no eternal punishment.

Tertullian believed in a fiery torment for eternity for those who persecuted Christians. This is a good example of “revenge religion” - a psychological solution to the problem of Christian persecution that evolved into an article of faith.

Eastern Christianity has no notion of an eternal punishment in hell. Rather, it sees hell as separation from God – a purely spiritual state.

Convert Gary Amirault writes:

A loving Father knows how to bring correction to His children without consigning them to an endless torture chamber. Tyrants and a few demented earthly parents may do such things to their children. But for Christians to ascribe such activity to the Creator of all mankind is simply terribly misguided thinking.”
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2022, 05:51 PM
    And then, of course, there is the unmistakable meaning of Mt. 25, as well as chapters 5, 8, 13 (2 references), and 18. I am faith bound to follow the teachings of Christ as opposed to whoever Gary Amirault is. Why on earth would anyone listen to him?

Guys, you can save your breath. The meaning of many, many passages is crystal clear. As Martin Luther said, "Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason—I do not accept the authority of the popes and councils (and Gary Amirault JL), for they have contradicted each other—my conscience is captive to the Word of God."

Might add that any reasonably fair reading of the two primary Greek words used for hell (Gehanna and Hades) makes it clear that the words are not referring to garbage dumps or simply a location for the dead. To suggest that is the case is to go off into a fantasy world. Context will absolutely not allow it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 2, 2022, 08:03 PM
    Perhaps the early Gospel authors, scribes, teachers used burning garbage dumps as a scare tactic ("This is where you'll end up if you don't....!!!") in order to keep readers on the straight and narrow.
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2022, 08:51 PM
    If you want to believe that, then go for it. It's utter speculation.

Perhaps Jesus meant what He said and wants WG to believe it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 2, 2022, 09:43 PM
    Jesus told me to love.
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2022, 09:46 PM
    If you really love people, you will tell them about Mt. 25.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 2, 2022, 10:02 PM
    That has nothing to do with love. Love is 3D, not 2D.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Welcome to hell. [ 2 Answers ]

While walking down the street one day a 'Member of Congress' is tragically hit by a truck and dies. His soul arrives in heaven and is met by St. Peter at the entrance. 'Welcome to heaven,' says St. Peter. 'Before you settle in, it seems there is a problem. We seldom see a high official...

What about Hell? [ 26 Answers ]

Earlier, I started a discussion about heaven. Whether it was a state of mind or if it was a literal physical location. So, what about hell? Another physical location with fire-ey pits and a devil running around with a pitch fork or just the absence of the peaceful loving presence of God?

View more questions Search