Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2022, 06:18 AM
    Living in a fantasy world is not love. Telling people of a coming day of judgment is a great act of love. You are trying, it seems to me, to justify your unbelief. And I don't say that meanly. You don't accept the many dozens of places where the Bible clearly declares a coming day of judgment, so you see no need to mention it. You better hope you have it right. It's a fearful undertaking to try and edit the Bible.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2022, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Living in a fantasy world is not love.
    Neither is a fantasy land of talking snakes.

You don't accept the many dozens of places where the Bible clearly declares a coming day of judgment
    Here you go again - deflecting from the issue being discussed. The issue being discussed is HELL, not a day of judgment.

It's a fearful undertaking to try and edit the Bible.
    It's a far more fearful undertaking to lead people away from the truth.
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2022, 10:04 AM
    talking snakes.
    No one here believes that apparently but you,

You cannot separate hell from judgment. For instance, "You serpents, you brood of vipers, how will you escape the sentence of hell?" Note those are also the words of Jesus.

You are leading people to a truth invented by you. It's why you do not appeal to the Bible. You are instead reduced to talking about trash dumps, or instead making the incredible statement that only one person on the earth believes that Matthew wrote Matthew. And you continue to avoid talking about the universal testimony of the early church fathers who ALL attributed the book to Matthew. Wonder why? Care to explain that?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 3, 2022, 10:15 AM
    We are to lead people TO God's love, not away from judgment and Hell. To the Positive, not threatening them about the Negative.
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2022, 10:34 AM
    Good morning, WG. I would just reply that you seem to be content with giving them half the message that Christ gave. Do you know more than Him?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 3, 2022, 10:44 AM
    Jesus' message is love.
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2022, 10:54 AM
    Yes indeed. He loved us so much that He gave His own life so that those who follow Him in faith would be delivered from God's judgment. If you accept the Bible, then that is a clear, plain truth. You can start with John 3:16-18.

16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His [e]only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. 18 He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the [f]only begotten Son of God.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 3, 2022, 11:09 AM
    We love because He first loved us.
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2022, 11:25 AM
    Yes. Just ignore the John passage. Have it your way.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 3, 2022, 11:52 AM
    Yep, John is correct -- Jesus' love for us and, in response, we offer that love to others.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2022, 12:50 PM
    Wondergirl
    We are to lead people TO God's love, not away from judgment and Hell. To the Positive, not threatening them about the Negative.
    Be merciful to those who doubt; 23 snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh
    Jude 22
    We are to tailor the message to the person.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 3, 2022, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    In other words, preach hellfire and damnation so the listeners quake in their boots? That seems to be what JL suggests.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2022, 02:39 PM
    Wondergirl
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    In other words, preach hellfire and damnation so the listeners quake in their boots? That seems to be what JL suggests.
    It worked for Jonathan Edwards and many others.
    Again, if that's what the person needs to hear, yes. Tailor the message to the person's needs.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 3, 2022, 03:11 PM
    How do we know it worked? (Please define "worked".)
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2022, 03:27 PM
    Never said that.

I understand that I could post a thousand passages, and the response would be cherry picking, I talked to Jesus when I was a child, just change the subject, and on it goes.

I think DW has a good point. I'm not really talking about what needs to be said to people as much as I'm talking about the fact that you cannot eliminate God's judgment from the Gospel message. It has nothing to do with creating fear. It has to do with preaching the full message of the Gospel, and drawing that message from scripture.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 3, 2022, 04:47 PM
    "You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar."
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2022, 05:31 PM
    We don't "catch" anyone. That's the Holy Spirit's job, and us being honest with the truth is very helpful there.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 3, 2022, 05:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    We don't "catch" anyone. That's the Holy Spirit's job, and us being honest with the truth is very helpful there.
    "We" (Christians?) "catch" sinners all the time and read them the "truth" (and refuse to look in the mirror).
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2022, 06:30 PM
    Then you should stop.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 3, 2022, 06:57 PM
    I was quoting your "we" and your preaching instructions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Welcome to hell. [ 2 Answers ]

While walking down the street one day a 'Member of Congress' is tragically hit by a truck and dies. His soul arrives in heaven and is met by St. Peter at the entrance. 'Welcome to heaven,' says St. Peter. 'Before you settle in, it seems there is a problem. We seldom see a high official...

What about Hell? [ 26 Answers ]

Earlier, I started a discussion about heaven. Whether it was a state of mind or if it was a literal physical location. So, what about hell? Another physical location with fire-ey pits and a devil running around with a pitch fork or just the absence of the peaceful loving presence of God?

View more questions Search