Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2022, 01:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I've been looking back over my calendar to see when the last time was I sent someone to hell. I don't seem to have any notes about that event, but I'll look more tomorrow!
    You know what WG meant. When you look, see how often you have supported hell.

Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    I have yet to see him do so.

Since he arrived here, Jl has supported the notion of an eternal hell for sinners and unbelievers. He obviously has not personally done the judging and sending, but his support is the next best thing. I trust your remark takes that into consideration.

any discussion of the Bible does require...the Bible.
    Typically, you have misconstrued my words. Of course, any discussion of the Bible requires...the Bible. My point (obvious) is that discussion is not limited to a literal reading of the Bible, as has been done here more times than I can count. Modern tools of examining and understanding the Bible cannot be ignored, as you have consistently done. That leads you to talking snakes, et al.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Will Jews and Muslims and Sikhs and Hindus and Buddhists go to heaven?
    Waiting for Jl's answer in plain language. He will probably do his Bible thing instead with misleading quotes.

See what Ephesians 2 says. Acts 4:12. 1 Timothy 2:5. John 14:6. John 8:24. Rom. 10:9. John 20:31. Acts 2:38. Rom. 3:21,22. Mt. 7:21-23. Heb. 5:9. Gal. 2:16. Acts 10:43.

I keep adding them lest you fall back on the silly plea of "cherry-picking".

John 17:3. John 12:36. John 3:16. Mt. 7:13. John 1:12.
    Instead of all your quotes massed together, why not explain each one showing how they supported hell. I randomly looked at a few and not one supported the idea of hell.

Amazing how you just blissfully ignore such a tidal wave of scripture. Not even Jesus speaking can change your stubborn mind. "No man comes to the Father but by me." "I said, therefore, to you, that ye shall die in your sins, for if ye may not believe that I am [he], ye shall die in your sins." If you don't tell them what Jesus said, then you have no love for them.
    Amazing how you can blissfully ignore that your quote has nothing to do with the topic - the existence of an eternal torture chamber.

"No man comes to the Father but by me." "I said, therefore, to you, that ye shall die in your sins, for if ye may not believe that I am [he], ye shall die in your sins." If you don't tell them what Jesus said, then you have no love for them.

You must come to grips with the words of Jesus. Reject them, and you reject Him.
    More threats from a loving Christian.

JL has given you a good amount of it.
    None of it supporting his contention re the topic of hell.

How's this for a Bible quote - it's from John 25 and shows Jesus saying, "Though I have been speaking figuratively..." Blows much of what Jesus has said right out of the literal water.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2022, 05:08 AM
    Since he arrived here, Jl has supported the notion of an eternal hell for sinners and unbelievers. He obviously has not personally done the judging and sending, but his support is the next best thing. I trust your remark takes that into consideration.
    I have consistently pointed out the teaching of the Bible. To say I've "supported" it is foolishness. God does not need my support.

"Modern tools"? That one made me laugh. It's what people say when, like you, they have nothing in scripture to support their unbelief.

As to scriptures about judgment and hell, I posted fifty of them one time, and you rejected them all since they don't support your preconceived ideas.

"Though I have been speaking figuratively..."
    Won't work. He was speaking of a particular narrative he was using in John 16. He was not speaking of everything he had said up to that time. Is this an example of your "modern tools"? So to say His statement, for instance, in John 8 is not to be taken literally is nonsense. "I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am he, you will indeed die in your sins.” So the real question is, have you placed your faith in Christ? Do you believe that Jesus is "he"?
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2022, 05:20 AM
    As to WG and her good, loving Sikh, etc. friends, you need to read the first three chapters of Romans. No one is accepted by God on the basis of his/her good works or supposed goodness. Mt. 7:22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’(In other words, they had many good works JL)23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ You have basically accepted the idea of loving others since that appeals to you, and yet you completely ignore virtually everything else, and then have imagined that a day is coming when Jesus will say, "Oh well, you ignored most of what I said because you didn't like it, but come on in anyway."

What do you think he meant by saying, "Away from me?"
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2022, 09:58 AM
    I have consistently pointed out the teaching of the Bible. To say I've "supported" it is foolishness. God does not need my support.
    You support your own literal interpretation of the Bible. How else explain your belief in a talking snake? Yes, yes, God can do anything. That's about lame a reason as possible.

"Modern tools"? That one made me laugh. It's what people say when, like you, they have nothing in scripture to support their unbelief.
    No, it's what people use when they attempt to understand a 2,000 year old document. The tools are many and you should be aware of them if you wish to credibly discuss the Bible.

As to scriptures about judgment and hell, I posted fifty of them one time, and you rejected them all since they don't support your preconceived ideas.
    Every single one you posted was based on a faulty reading which I took pains to point out to you. I cannot be held responsible for your limitations. My ideas are never preconceived. They are the result of discovering the pertinent facts.

Won't work. He was speaking of a particular narrative he was using in John 16. He was not speaking of everything he had said up to that time.
    Of course, it works. John has Jesus saying the very thing that I have been telling you for two years - that the Bible contains figures of speech. Here in this passage, Jesus himself says the same thing. He does not mean EVERYTHING in the Bible. But it is fairly easy to discover when he speaks figuratively.

Is this an example of your "modern tools"?
    No, it is an example of reading the words as written. Couldn't be simpler.

So to say His statement, for instance, in John 8 is not to be taken literally is nonsense. "I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am he, you will indeed die in your sins.”
    You're up to your old tricks again - deflecting. NOWHERE in your quote does Jesus refer to an eternal punishment in hell.

So the real question is, have you placed your faith in Christ? Do you believe that Jesus is "he"?
    Wrong again. The real question is, have you placed your faith in the literal Bible instead of Jesus? You get a resounding YES.

As to WG and her good, loving Sikh, etc. friends, you need to read the first three chapters of Romans.
    As I predicted, you couldn't answer WG's question in plain language in your own words. You had to quote the Bible. Answering whether Sikhs and Buddhists, etc., etc. go to hell is too fearful a question even for you.

At one level, you're revolted by the answer as any normal human would be. So you put the onus on the Bible.

On another level, you are experiencing a deep schadenfreude that you are probably not proud of, but luxuriate in it anyway.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 8, 2022, 10:07 AM
    On the Last Day, Jesus will say to Jews and Sikhs and Hindus and Muslims and Buddhists, "You've loved others unconditionally just as I have. You have been kind and giving without expecting anything in return. Come into my heaven and let's enjoy eternity together!"
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2022, 01:51 PM
    On the Last Day, Jesus will say to Jews and Sikhs and Hindus and Muslims and Buddhists, "You've loved others unconditionally just as I have. You have been kind and giving without expecting anything in return. Come into my heaven and let's enjoy eternity together!"
    Chapter and verse, please.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 8, 2022, 02:07 PM
    Be loving now. It all boils down to that

Plan to be there! Look me up -- I'll be in the celestial kitchen!
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2022, 03:15 PM
    DW asked, "Chapter and verse, please." Instead, he just got more opinion.
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2022, 03:24 PM
    As I predicted, you couldn't answer WG's question in plain language in your own words. You had to quote the Bible.
    I just have this funny idea that telling someone what the Bible says is a far better answer than just giving my opinion. You should try it.

Of course, it works. John has Jesus saying the very thing that I have been telling you for two years - that the Bible contains figures of speech.
    No one has argued that the Bible does not contain figures of speech.

Here in this passage, Jesus himself says the same thing. He does not mean EVERYTHING in the Bible. But it is fairly easy to discover when he speaks figuratively.
    Exactly as I said, he is not referring to all parts of the Bible. The problem is that you use a very slippery method of determining what is literal/figurative. Any clear, plain statement that does not agree with your preconceived ideas just has to be figurative.

No, it is an example of reading the words as written. Couldn't be simpler.
    We finally agree on something. So when you read these words as written, how do they read to you?

"No man comes to the Father but by me." "I said, therefore, to you, that ye shall die in your sins, for if ye may not believe that I am [he], ye shall die in your sins."

Why didn't you answer this question? "So the real question is, have you placed your faith in Christ? Do you believe that Jesus is 'he'?"
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 8, 2022, 03:36 PM
    You should try it.
    The famous psychologist Albert Ellis warned, "Don't should on yourself!"

Should is a judgment. And as such that word holds us back in our lives.
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2022, 03:44 PM
    So you're saying I should follow your counsel and the advice of Ellis?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 8, 2022, 04:00 PM
    So you're saying I should follow your counsel and the advice of Ellis?
    Only if you want to stop shoulding on yourself and others.
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2022, 04:29 PM
    fm WG

Fm DW
    Do you really believe Sikhs and Buddhists etc., will not go to heaven because it's not wrtten in the Bible?

Say it ain't so, DW!
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2022, 04:30 PM
    I don't, so I'll just ignore it, especially considering that you are violating your own advice.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 8, 2022, 04:53 PM
    I don't, so I'll just ignore it, especially considering that you are violating your own advice.
    So in heaven there will be only 683 or so Christian white males -- plus a bunch of Hebrew guys who were in the Bible.
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2022, 05:03 PM
    I just have this funny idea that telling someone what the Bible says is a far better answer than just giving my opinion.
    Your idea is indeed a funny one - even an uninformed one. You have a brain given you by God, use it.

No one has argued that the Bible does not contain figures of speech.
    You have consistently argued that Biblical figures of speech are literal. See Genesis.

The problem is that you use a very slippery method of determining what is literal/figurative.
    Define that "very slippery method". If you can.

Any clear, plain statement that does not agree with your preconceived ideas just has to be figurative.
    Wrong. Again. I have no preconceived ideas. My ideas come from my God-given brain - just like yours. The difference is mine come from reflection and much thought. Yours are knee-jerk exhibiting an absence of thought.

when you read these words as written, how do they read to you?"No man comes to the Father but by me." "I said, therefore, to you, that ye shall die in your sins, for if ye may not believe that I am [he], ye shall die in your sins."
    Read my lips. THERE IS NO MENTION OF AN ETERNAL HELL IN THOSE WORDS!!!

Why didn't you answer this question? "So the real question is, have you placed your faith in Christ? Do you believe that Jesus is 'he'?"
    Your question has nothing to do with the topic of hell. I improved on it anyway by asking you, have you placed your faith in the literal Bible instead of Jesus? You get a resounding YES.

Before you crucify me for not answering your question as you always do, recall that I told you more than once that your questions are designed to find what you consider positions that you disagree with so that you can swoop down and throw your typical condemnatory spear at the person. We know you too well here, Jl.
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2022, 05:12 PM
    So in heaven there will be only 683 or so Christian white males -- plus a bunch of Hebrew guys who were in the Bible.
    So says you, WG?

You have consistently argued that Biblical figures of speech are literal. See Genesis.
    Some yes, and some no.

Why are you running from answering this question?
    when you read these words as written, how do they read to you?"No man comes to the Father but by me." "I said, therefore, to you, that ye shall die in your sins, for if ye may not believe that I am [he], ye shall die in your sins."
    Why are you running from answering this question?

Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 8, 2022, 05:14 PM
    So says you, WG?
    Nope. That's the message I've been getting from your posts.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2022, 05:39 PM
    Be loving now. It all boils down to that

Plan to be there! Look me up -- I'll be in the celestial kitchen!
    Still waiting.

fm WG

Fm DW
    Do you really believe Sikhs and Buddhists etc., will not go to heaven because it's not wrtten in the Bible?

Say it ain't so, DW!
    I'm not saying anything. I'm mainly asking questions.

I have no idea where this number came from.
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2022, 05:44 PM
    I'm not saying anything. I'm mainly asking questions.
    Time to speak up, DW.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Welcome to hell. [ 2 Answers ]

While walking down the street one day a 'Member of Congress' is tragically hit by a truck and dies. His soul arrives in heaven and is met by St. Peter at the entrance. 'Welcome to heaven,' says St. Peter. 'Before you settle in, it seems there is a problem. We seldom see a high official...

What about Hell? [ 26 Answers ]

Earlier, I started a discussion about heaven. Whether it was a state of mind or if it was a literal physical location. So, what about hell? Another physical location with fire-ey pits and a devil running around with a pitch fork or just the absence of the peaceful loving presence of God?

View more questions Search