Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2022, 09:44 PM
    Erasmus' insertion of 1 John 5:7 into a subsequent edition was a capitulation, but no to the church authorities. It was a capitulation to his own conscience and sense of honor. When the authorities asked him why he left it out, he said it wasn't in any of his manuscripts. They threw the requisite hissy fit and demanded that he insert it. He refused, but Erasmus being Erasmus, he made a rash promise: if they could show him one Greek manuscript with the verse in it, he would include it in his next edition. So they made one and gave it to him. He knew what they had done but he couldn't prove it, and he didn't specify that they couldn't do that. His sense of honor to his word required him to keep his promise.

It's too bad he was such a good man, and not a bit more of a jerk like me. I would have kept my promise and printed an edition with it in. Maybe 12 copies, one for each of the stuffed shirts. Then I'd put out a next edition without it, because he never promised to KEEP it in after that one edition.

Again, I'm a much bigger jerk than he was. Then again, he did write Julius Exclusus...
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2022, 03:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    Erasmus' insertion of 1 John 5:7 into a subsequent edition was a capitulation, but no to the church authorities.
    Not sure why you say that, considering the clear demand of the church authorities you outlined below. Semantics?

It was a capitulation to his own conscience and sense of honor. When the authorities asked him why he left it out, he said it wasn't in any of his manuscripts. They threw the requisite hissy fit and demanded that he insert it. He refused, but Erasmus being Erasmus, he made a rash promise: if they could show him one Greek manuscript with the verse in it, he would include it in his next edition. So they made one and gave it to him. He knew what they had done but he couldn't prove it, and he didn't specify that they couldn't do that. His sense of honor to his word required him to keep his promise.
    See the parts in BOLD. Erasmus kowtowed. Claiming he was honor-bound to include the added verse seems self-serving on his part. Maybe it was a question of saving his neck, not his honor.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2022, 10:51 AM
    See the parts in BOLD. Erasmus kowtowed. Claiming he was honor-bound to include the added verse seems self-serving on his part. Maybe it was a question of saving his neck, not his honor.
    Please read it again, especially the part where he refused to insert it just because they told him to.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2022, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    Please read it again, especially the part where he refused to insert it just because they told him to.
    Well, I read it again, but I read it right the first time. Ultimately, Erasmus DID insert it because they told him to. Claiming he was forced to insert it to satisfy his honor is like Trump insisting every bad fact attributed to him is a world-wide witch hunt, hoax, and a pack of lies.

That might be a little overboard, but who knows - Erasmus may be a Trumpian role model. After all, Trump's grandfather, removed 21 times, was a personal friend of Erasmus. I'd give you the secret link, but then I'd have to report you to the FBI.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2022, 01:03 PM
    It's in his letters. He wrote extensively about it to his friends.
    Erasmus is my man, my friend. I've studied him almost more than I've studied Jesus. He often gets a bad rap because scholars haven't looked closely enough at what he actually said.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2022, 01:11 PM
    You're making a mountain out of a molehill. My friend.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2022, 06:02 PM
    Athos
    You're making a mountain out of a molehill. My friend.
    Uh huh. We'll go with that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Welcome to hell. [ 2 Answers ]

While walking down the street one day a 'Member of Congress' is tragically hit by a truck and dies. His soul arrives in heaven and is met by St. Peter at the entrance. 'Welcome to heaven,' says St. Peter. 'Before you settle in, it seems there is a problem. We seldom see a high official...

What about Hell? [ 26 Answers ]

Earlier, I started a discussion about heaven. Whether it was a state of mind or if it was a literal physical location. So, what about hell? Another physical location with fire-ey pits and a devil running around with a pitch fork or just the absence of the peaceful loving presence of God?

View more questions Search