Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bubbilicious Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2022, 10:48 PM
    Offset for 11.5" rough-in iron drain
    We have a 1945 home and the rough-in is 11.5". We purchased a 12" toilet being told there was some leeway. However, there was none. We don't want to purchase another toilet and not be able to use it.

While we (my husband and I) didn't quite understand it, we were left with the impression that there was nothing to be done but to install a 10" rough-in toilet thereby having a 1.5" gap behind the toilet. I'm not crazy about that idea. I did find a few toilets that would work with an 11.5" rough-in, but they were all too large for the minuscule bathroom.

The drain pipe is iron and a scant over 11.5" from the finished wall, not including the base board and is about 3.5" diameter.

(if the image doesn't show, you can download it)

(download image)

We don't have much room to work with and one thing we can not do is tear up the floor. We probably can enlarge the area around the drain somewhat, but that's all. Because this bathroom is in the attic, under the eave and next to the garage crawl space, changing any plumbing would require not only removing the floor in the bathroom, but also the floor underneath it which is the ceiling of the bathroom underneath. That area used to be a shower and it has cement that would have to be removed. Then the pipes run into the garage crawl space, which would require removing part of the roof to get to them ... so, we need to find a solution that doesn't involve tearing up our entire home and even if we were willing to do it, couldn't possibly afford it.

(download image)

Note: I saw a similar post in this forum, but failed to understand how that person resolved it.

Can we use an offset flange?
    What kind?
    How do know what size to select?
    What would we need to do to install it?
    Anything else we need to know?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2022, 07:25 AM
    You will be looking for an offset toilet flange. If you have a local plumbing supply store, you can probably take a few pics and go there. They'll get the right flange for you and likely tell you how to install it. I'm not a plumber so I'd be hesitant to offer my installation advice.

This will give you a general idea of how to do the job. This man seemed to be facing your exact situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLAlhkQPrjM
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 17, 2022, 10:41 PM
    Hi B

If this is a two-piece toilet (tank and bowl), you should not be having a problem...all two-piece toilets fit an 11.5" rough in from finished wall. If this is a one-piece toilet, then 11.5" should still work but it could be tight. You have suggested that you have a 4" cast iron drainpipe and flange. If that is the case, then you should have no problem installing a two-piece 12" rough in toilet onto an 11.5" rough in from finished wall. Here, you just need to pull the toilet bolts in the flange forward a little and you should be able to install the toilet without interference. Worst case, you could drill the cast iron flange and enlarge the slotted holes to move the toilet bolts forward. If none of that floats your boat, then you are stuck with installing a 10" rough in toilet.

In terms of an offset flange, an offset flange will only work if the cast iron pipe itself is at least 3" below the floor. Here, an offset flange is pretty deep, and the old flange would need to cracked off the old drainpipe and then the offset flange would need to be installed and LEADED in with lead an oakum...this is not something a homeowner would ever attempt by themselves.

If this was PVC, we may be able to talk you through an offset install, but even then, it is quite involved.

Back to you,

Mark
    Bubbilicious Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2022, 02:23 AM
    Thank you. When our plumber returns from vacation I'm going to run this past him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I tie a washing machine drain into a 4" cast iron drain from a upstairs bathroom [ 5 Answers ]

I want to move my laundry room into another room. I know I have a cast iron pipe running down from the upstairs bathroom. Can I tie into that pipe or do I need to do something different?

How to join a cast iron rough-in drain to shower drain? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello. This is my first post. I have done some searching and not finding a way to do this. I have a cast iron rough in drain that I would like to join to a new shower drain. I have already taken out a rough mortar bed that was underneath a prefab shower pan. I will be building a new mortar bed...

2" plumbing rough in does not drain fast [ 0 Answers ]

I'm installing a tub & shower combo in my basement. The 2" pipe after I uncapped it shows the pipe to Go straight down about 2' or so. I wanted to see how it drained because I could smell oder and decided to put some water in this pipe. The pipe filled up almost to the top and slowly went down so...

Can I replace the 4" cast iron floor drain cover myself? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 4" cast iron floor drain cover that is corroding due to the salty water from when my water softener recycles. How can I replace this drain cover? Do I have to replace with another cast iron drain cover? I'm afraid I'm going to have the same issue in a couple of years if I do. Can I...

Tub Drain -- 1 1/2"pvc to 4" cast iron with hub [ 12 Answers ]

Hi . . . I'm replacing my old cast iron tub with a whirlpool tub. The old drain was a 1 1/2" brass tube tucked into a 4" cast iron drain pipe (with hub), packed with what might be oakum. The seal was fibrous and waxy when I cleaned out the drain, and that's not MY hair :) What's the best way...

View more questions Search