Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2022, 03:45 PM
    I didn't say yay or nay to either link I posted.
    That's quite a strategy. Never say anything definite.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 29, 2022, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    That's quite a strategy. Never say anything definite.
    I have been told to post links to articles that will stimulate thinking!
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2022, 03:53 PM
    Who asked you to do that?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 29, 2022, 03:56 PM
    That's how discussion is created and stimulated!
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2022, 04:09 PM
    Discussion only exists when people have sufficient courage to post their ideas and subject them to scrutiny. Otherwise, it's just polite conversation. That's fine and useful, but not really discussion. Or at least that's my view.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 29, 2022, 04:14 PM
    Yes! Discussion -- the action or process of talking about something in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas (not insults).
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2022, 06:01 PM
    " the action or process of talking about something in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas..." I'm all for it.

to exchange ideas (not insults).
    Insults? You mean like this?

She laughed hysterically. It certainly (again) didn't take much to propel you into sarcasm, nastiness, and going off topic. Dwashbur was right in Post 67.
    Or this?

If you can't even realize that, we're done. In fact, I'm done anyway. This is tiring and boring. You have one set of rules for yourself and another for everyone else. You can make wild claims and back them up with nothing but anybody else has to provide a doctoral dissertation on the subject.

I'm done with your double standard. Have the last word, we all know you will anyway.
    The biggest aggravation I have here is an absolute refusal to answer any question deemed a little dangerous to one's position. For instance, there was the member who steadfastly refused to simply say whether or not he believed in the resurrection, a question which remains unanswered to this day. Really hard to "exchange ideas" with someone who won't do any exchanging.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 29, 2022, 06:48 PM
    Would you be satisfied with a maybe?

And the "refusal to answer" has nothing to do with being "dangerous" to one's position or belief.
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2022, 07:40 PM
    Would you be satisfied with a maybe?
    Sure, as long as it's an honest "maybe".

And the "refusal to answer" has nothing to do with being "dangerous" to one's position or belief.
    Then what is the reason?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 29, 2022, 07:51 PM
    How will you know if it's an honest maybe?

The reason could be NOYB.
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2022, 08:07 PM
    How will you know if it's an honest maybe?
    Can't generally tell.

The reason could be NOYB.
    Then the person should say that. But it's hard to imagine entering into a discussion with someone but then refusing to answer a serious question because of that.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2022, 09:04 PM
    Interesting articles. The first one makes my point for me then backpedals a little. I would quibble with the subject of footnote 6 because nothing in Gen 1:29-30 requires that all the creatures be herbivores. No animal death also requires a world without any cliffs to fall off of, ponds to fall in, rocks to trip over and break one's neck, the entire idea creates an impossibly complex scenario that frankly can't stand up to reality. And I like the way he demonstrated that Romans 5 is talking about HUMAN death and nothing else.
    The second article is on a slightly different topic, and this author betrays a very cursory knowledge of Hebrew. Specifically he fails to understand the nature of the definite article when used with the construct state. If that means nothing to you, I'm sad to say it probably means nothing to this author, as well. And therein lies the problem. He's way over his head trying to talk about Hebrew grammar. His conclusion is reasonably solid, but that's not necessarily because he knew what he was talking about.
    I have no use for Answers in Genesis, and stuff like that is a big reason why. They take a little of this and a little of that and think they know something.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 29, 2022, 09:37 PM
    I'm thinking Heaven will be like the Garden of Eden. Will the heavenly feast include veggie dishes, platters of grilled prime rib, bbq chicken, and meatloaf? No cliffs to fall off, lakes to drown in?
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2022, 12:47 AM
    I'm thinking it'll be way better than that. The end of the book shows us Earth 2.0 and it looks a lot more interesting than a garden.
    As for prime rib, I'll say the same thing that Billy Graham said when asked if there will be sex in heaven: if God can't come up with something better, it'll be there.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 30, 2022, 09:48 AM
    Great answer, dwashbur! Since I'm nearly there, I am eagerly looking forward to this next adventure!
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2022, 10:15 AM
    I'd start the description off with God himself. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit all there and accessible to us. What could compare with that? It's impossible to describe.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2022, 11:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    As for prime rib, I'll say the same thing that Billy Graham said when asked if there will be sex in heaven: if God can't come up with something better, it'll be there.
    Nice to see the great Billy Graham had a sense of humor about the afterlife. As he aged, he morphed from strict fundamentalism to being more and more open ecumenically.
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2022, 04:50 PM
    Athos
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    Nice to see the great Billy Graham had a sense of humor about the afterlife. As he aged, he morphed from strict fundamentalism to being more and more open ecumenically.
    It came up while he was doing a Q&A in the late 60's at the height of the sexual revolution. The questioner's tone made it clear he was expecting some sort of rigid, prudish answer about the evils of sex. I don't think he was prepared for the answer, or the boisterous laughter that followed.
    It's a shame his son has taken such a massive kerplop on the man's legacy. It makes me sad.
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2022, 05:05 PM
    It's a shame his son has taken such a massive kerplop on the man's legacy. It makes me sad.
    So running a charity that annually reaches out to hundreds of thousands of people suffering from natural disasters is a kerplop?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 22, 2022, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    So running a charity that annually reaches out to hundreds of thousands of people suffering from natural disasters is a kerplop?
    Yeah, what a giving guy. "Franklin Graham drew scrutiny in 2009 for drawing a full-time salary from Samaritan's Purse, while simultaneously receiving a full-time salary from Billy Graham Evangelistic Association (BGEA).

According to 2014 data, Graham is the highest paid Samaritan's Purse employee at $622,252 annually and leads other charities in compensation.[28] The preacher gave up a salary at the evangelistic association during the late economic downturn,[29] but the leaders urged him to accept compensation again and he now receives increased retirement contributions as well as a regular salary.[30] The evangelistic association reported 2013 revenues as $106.5 million and 2014 as $112,893,788.[31][32]"
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_Graham

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What Does It Take To Be A Christian? [ 60 Answers ]

What Does It Take To Be A Christian? So many churches say different things, And I want to know what your opinion is.

To what extent should nationalism be sacrificed in the interest of internationalism? [ 0 Answers ]

This is my essay question that I need to write. I need ideas and examples for this idea.

Christian [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am Mich3. I was looking for a Christian page. Is there one here?

Black     ural Nationalism [ 1 Answers ]

Why would the formulation of a black aesthetic have been necessary at the moment in history of the Civil Rights / Black Power movement; and is it still a useful ?

View more questions Search