Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2022, 11:45 AM
    Thank goodness for an unbiased media

Giorgia Meloni has become Italy's first female Prime Minister.

• Her new government is set to be the most right-wing since the era of Benito Mussolini.
    • She's previously said, "No to the violence of Islam, yes to safer borders, no to mass immigration."

Far-right firebrand politician Giorgia Meloni has been sworn in as Italy's new prime minister, making history as the first woman to hold the position. views clear. "Yes to natural families, no to the LGBT lobby, yes to sexual identity, no to gender ideology, yes to the culture of life, no to the abyss of death," Meloni told supporters of Spain's far-right conservative party Vox in June, Reuters reported.

The 45-year-old mother of one has made her conservative views clear. "Yes to natural families, no to the LGBT lobby, yes to sexual identity, no to gender ideology, yes to the culture of life, no to the abyss of death," Meloni told supporters of Spain's far-right conservative party Vox in June, Reuters reported.
    Incredible how MSN.com had to invoke, repeatedly, the name of Mussolini in order to frame Meloni as a far-right facist. So being in favor of traditional families, opposed to illegal immigration, and opposed to abortion is facist? Hmm. Maybe we can get her to come over here!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 22, 2022, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Maybe we can get her to come over here!
    Trump would not be pleased.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 22, 2022, 12:11 PM
    @jlisenbe, it might have passed you by, but she is a far-right fascist. Just saying..
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2022, 12:22 PM
    In what way? I don’t know much about her, but based on that article, I’d just say she is a solid conservative.

Fascism is a dictatorial political philosophy. I don’t see that in her at all.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 22, 2022, 12:47 PM
    For JL --

What does fascism mean in simple words?

Fascism is a system of government led by a dictator who typically rules by forcefully and often violently suppressing opposition and criticism, controlling all industry and commerce, and promoting nationalism and often racism.

Britannica Dictionary definition of FASCISM: a way of organizing a society in which a government ruled by a dictator controls the lives of the people and in which people are not allowed to disagree with the government.

Meloni: "Yes to natural families [headed by white, binary parents], no to the LGBT lobby, yes to [either male or female] sexual identity, no to gender ideology, yes to the culture of life, no to the abyss of death,"
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2022, 02:32 PM
    "led by a dictator...ruled by a dictator...often violently suppressing opposition and criticism," So how did you manage to miss the fact that she was put in this position by a democratic process with no violence? Your own definitions support my statement that she is not a facist. Thank you. I do appreciate your support.

Stating a position is hardly a plan for a dictatorship. If that's true, then every pol in the world is a dictator.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 22, 2022, 02:57 PM
    You ol' cherry-picker, you!!!

How was she put into this position?
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2022, 04:25 PM
    I just used your definitions. I thank you for providing them. It definitely showed that she is not a facist.

And as always, you throw out the "cherry picker" claim when the evidence against you is absolutely overwhelming, So predictable.

It took me all of two minutes to find this. "The Prime Minister is appointed by the President of the Republic after each general election and must have the confidence of the Italian Parliament to stay in office." Yeah boy. That's facism for you! [SARC]

Prime Minister of Italy - Wikipedia
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 22, 2022, 05:15 PM
    You have no idea when you are being tested, do you. I looked at that Wikipedia article long before you did. Congratulations on actually doing some googling.

I almost deleted my question but didn't, hoping you'd come through for once. Now we need to ask Curlyben to please explain to us his far-right fascist comment.
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2022, 05:37 PM
    I'd rather ask you to explain your nonsensical explanation that NOBODY believes, including you.

I looked at that Wikipedia article long before you did
    My goodness. Have you no shame at all??? I'm done with this lunacy. Present your fantasies to someone else.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 22, 2022, 06:27 PM
    Present your fantasies to someone else.
    You are so darn cute when you get het up! I looked at that article soon after Curlyben posted the beginning of this thread. I had no idea how Italy's government works. It's good to know for when I'm on Jeopardy, in case it's part of an "answer" I would frame a question for.
    BossMan

Oct 23, 2022, 01:09 AM
    You really don't have to be a dictator to be fascist...
    That would imply there are very few fascists, as only the person at the top of the political tree can follow this ideology.

As you like Wiki as a source of truth, continue your reading.
    Fascism is a far-right, authoritarian, ultranationalist political ideology and movement, characterized by a dictatorial leader, centralized autocracy, militarism, forcible suppression of opposition, belief in a natural social hierarchy, subordination of individual interests for the perceived good of the nation and race ...
    Fascism from Wiki
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2022, 05:19 AM
    You really don't have to be a dictator to be fascist.
    It is certainly true that you don't have to BE a dictator to be a fascist (and no one has suggested that to be true), but you have to BELIEVE in a dictatorial political system imposed and maintained by violence to be one. There is no evidence she believes in that, so other than the repetitive posting of definitions of fascism, no one has shown Meloni has any beliefs of that sort. What's being done is similar to me accusing Tom of being a communist, and then posting as evidence a couple of definitions of communism as though that settled the issue.

She is certainly a solid conservative, but to call her fascist is just a continuation of the lefts over the top criticism of anyone who disagrees with them. A great example is your posting of this. "Fascism is a far-right, authoritarian, ultranationalist political ideology and movement, characterized by a dictatorial leader, centralized autocracy, militarism, forcible suppression of opposition, belief in a natural social hierarchy, subordination of individual interests for the perceived good of the nation and race..." Perhaps you can provide examples of where Meloni has made statements showing she embraces that. The only one I could see is, "...belief in a natural social hierarchy", a social system that everyone acknowledges, and which exists for the good (and sometimes bad) everywhere.

I had never heard of Meloni until yesterday, and for all I know she might presently be a fascist, but I'm simply pointing out that no one here has provided any evidence of that.
    BossMan

Oct 23, 2022, 05:39 AM
    Italy has a long history of Fascism, even before Mussolini and including more recent incumbents.
    As with other European countries the position of President is more ceremonial as a head of state, rather than ultimate authority.

Any political ideology taken to extremes can be detrimental to the country as a whole.
    Have you read the Wiki piece I linked to, it's quite enlightening.
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2022, 05:41 AM
    CB, are you editing my posts???

Last edited by Curlyben; Today at 06:33 AM.
    Italy has a long history of Fascism, even before Mussolini and including more recent incumbents.
    As with other European countries the position of President is more ceremonial as a head of state, rather than ultimate authority.

Any political ideology taken to extremes can be detrimental to the country as a whole.
    Nice post, but again you have provided no support for your characterization of Meloni as a fascist.
    BossMan

Oct 23, 2022, 05:47 AM
    CB, are you editing my posts??? .
    Yes, you had some unfinished tags for color and font showing, no changes where made to content.

Nice post, but again you have provided no support for your characterization of Meloni as a fascist.
    Seriously stop with the petty point scoring and actually read what has been presented.
    The person in question represents the largest far-right party in Italy and their political standpoint.
    Remember one persons terrorist is another persons freedom fighter.
    All depends on the point of reference.
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2022, 05:55 AM
    Seriously stop with the petty point scoring and actually read what has been presented.
    The person in question represents the largest far-right party in Italy and their political standpoint.
    Remember one persons terrorist is another persons freedom fighter.
    Perhaps in your world asking someone to provide serious support for serious statements is "petty point scoring". In my world, it's part of trying to establish the truth. You have provided nothing other than generalizations and opinions about supposedly "far-right" political parties. I guess that's good enough for you, but I prefer something a great deal more substantial. What you are saying could very well be true, but without some documentation, it's nothing more than supposition.

I have read every word posted here carefully. There is nothing that even comes close to showing what Meloni believes other than a few items listed in the original post which were, "Yes to natural families, no to the LGBT lobby, yes to sexual identity, no to gender ideology, yes to the culture of life, no to the abyss of death." None of those identify her as even remotely close to being fascist.

No, it doesn't. There is still objective truth. Either she is fascist or she isn't. A person's point of reference has importance to him/her, but does nothing to establish the truth.
    BossMan

Oct 23, 2022, 08:31 AM

No, it doesn't. There is still objective truth. Either she is fascist or she isn't. A person's point of reference has importance to him/her, but does nothing to establish the truth.
    Great, you win, well done.
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2022, 12:55 PM
    Discussion...ask questions...evaluate answers. Don't really care about how someone feels about things or about "winning".
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2022, 05:12 AM
    @jlisenbe, it might have passed you by, but she is a far-right fascist. Just saying..
    This is just not so. It is standard practice in Italy ;and in Europe ;and sadly increasingly in America to label anyone who's political philosophy is not left or center left as a fascist.
    She leads a right wing coalition .

First of all ;Italy changes governments as often as people change underware. They are close to averaging a new government every year since the end of WWII. So put the thoughts of dictatorship out to rest.
    She came to power OPPOSING dictatorial mandates related to covid .
    She calls herself conservative . But we know what that means in Euro-politics. The most conservativism they get is middling right of center .
    Let's see what she comes up with in budgetary reforms . Their debt is 150% GDP . Let's see her plan to reduce it . It can't be worse than Mario Draghi's . He was a prolific spender even after Italy got generous amounts of cash from the EU 'Next Generation ' fund .

Reforms are definitely needed to attract business to Italy . If taking the steps needed to do so it fascism ;then so be it .

Lefty publication The Atlantic disputes the notion that she is a fascist.

She has declared that “fascism is history” and suspended members who persisted in praising fascist leaders. Meloni has also sought to demonstrate that she would prove a reliable partner for Italy’s European and North American allies. She has, for example, moderated the party’s criticism of the European Union, emphasizing that she wants the country to stay in the eurozone. And unlike many other far-right leaders in Europe, Meloni has been a vocal critic of Vladimir Putin and a staunch supporter of Ukraine.

Giorgia Meloni’s Election Win Is Not a Vote for Fascism - The Atlantic

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

9/12 - Thank Goodness! [ 22 Answers ]

Hello: I must be the ONLY one who gagged at our self indulgent pity party over the weekend. I'm only now beginning to realize that the decade that changed American forever is due to an over abundance of victimhood.. Why didn't we get all squishy over the first World Trade Center attack? What...

Unbiased answer about medicare? [ 2 Answers ]

Maybe I don't understand the health care initiative, or maybe I don't understand medicare enough. But I need to know, why is medicare necessary in a nation with universal health care? Isn't it a waste to have two different organizations that overlap? I realize that universal health care isn't a...

I need an unbiased opinion about my life [ 5 Answers ]

I need some unbiased help. I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with me. Through out my life, I have let people in. I've opened up, I've let them see my soul. For some reason this always backfires on me... I had a girlfriend for 2 years, one day she decided she was bored with me, after all...

Goodness! [ 1 Answers ]

One Saturday evening, a priest, rabbi and Baptist minister walked into a Pub together. The bartender looked up and said, "Is this some kind of a joke?"

Unbiased Appointed Attorney? [ 12 Answers ]

Okay - I know I have been posting here a lot. One might think I'm really dumb (I hope not) but I AM very naïve and ignorant about how this system works. My ex husband "accidentally" filed an ex parte motion to change parenting time. I say "accidentally" because this is how it's been presented...

View more questions Search