Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2022, 11:08 AM
    The information is incorrect.

Read this:
    https://www.abortionclinics.com/abor...g-an-abortion/

Are you a snooty American that considers "British spelling" to be somehow inferior??
    Not at all. I was remarking that Singapore medical professionals can't spell it correctly. But the topic on the table concerns American abortions.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2022, 11:15 AM
    First of all, you go to a propaganda website for abortion clinics. Hmmm. I think I'll stick with the Journal of Medical Ethics. Still, even your own article admits that the fetus can feel pain, so much so that they anesthetize the baby before killing it. If that ghastly information makes you feel better, then so be it. The vet did the same thing to our dog a few years ago, but I would hope an unborn human being might receive different treatment.

This from your own article.
    If you do elect to have an abortion after 24 weeks, you do not need to worry about causing the baby to suffer. These abortions universally require general anesthesia. That anesthesia passes through the placenta, sedating the fetus and making pain unlikely. Many doctors give additional medication to ensure the fetus feels nothing, and some inject a substance into the fetus’s heart to immediately and painlessly stop it.
    You might also notice that in the second paragraph about the second trimester, there is not a single reference to any research data at all. Wonder why? [SARC]

Not at all. But the topic on the table concerns American abortions.
    A completely and utterly ridiculous statement. "Hey University of Singapore. Could you prepare an article using American spelling so we can use it on a discussion on AMHD? It's just so tiresome having to look at those Brit-spelled words."
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2022, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    so that they anesthetize the baby before killing it.
    So that the fetus doesn't feel pain.

At least they could spell the Brit words correctly.

Singapore??? Let's do a search for the Nigerian medical ethics board or maybe Aruba's?
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2022, 11:35 AM
    So that the fetus doesn't feel pain.
    Yeah. It's always better, when killing a baby, to have it not feel pain. "Hey mom. We killed our baby today, but not to worry. We anesthetized it first, just like you'd do a dog or cat." I guess you're OK with that. Sad.

Before you make another uninformed, dumb comment about the University of Singapore, please do some homework. I'm really embarrassed for you. Edurank ranks it as the #85 university in the world in a ranking of over 14,000 universities.

Took all of three minutes to find this. [World Rankings 2022] National University of Singapore (edurank.org)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 17, 2022, 11:55 AM
    Are you a snooty American that considers "British spelling" to be somehow inferior??
    LOL, It's called English for a reason ;)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2022, 11:58 AM
    Get raped and become pregnant. Be molested by your uncle and get pregnant. Get pregnant with your fourth child and watch your partner/husband leave you for someone else. Use three forms of birth control correctly but still end up pregnant. Now what?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2022, 12:07 PM
    A completely and utterly ridiculous statement. "Hey University of Singapore. Could you prepare an article using American spelling so we can use it on a discussion on AMHD? It's just so tiresome having to look at those Brit-spelled words."
    No problem here with British spelling. My Canadian FB friends use it too. At least spell the words correctly, especially in a professional journal.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2022, 12:25 PM

LOL, It's called English for a reason ;)
    An Englishman's way of speaking absolutely classifies him-
    The moment he talks he makes some other Englishman despise him!
    One common language I'm afraid we'll never get.
    Oh why can't the English learn to set
    A good example to people whose English is painful to your ears?
    The Scotch and the Irish leave you close to tears!
    There even are places where English completely disappears-
    Well, in America they haven't used it for years!

My Fair Lady - Why Can't The English? - YouTube
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2022, 12:39 PM
    Yeah. It's always better, when killing a baby, to have it not feel pain. "Hey mom. We killed our baby today, but not to worry. We anesthetized it first, just like you'd do a dog or cat." I guess you're OK with that. Sad.
    You did not address this, so I'll leave it up.

Get raped and become pregnant. Be molested by your uncle and get pregnant. Get pregnant with your fourth child and watch your partner/husband leave you for someone else. Use three forms of birth control correctly but still end up pregnant. Now what?
    In your world, you anesthetize and then kill the baby.

Pregnancies from rape/incest are very rare. Using three forms of birth control and becoming pregnant is very rare. As to the mom whose husband left her, would you be OK with killing the oldest child and then giving birth? That way, at least all of the children could enjoy a somewhat brief life. Are you OK with that? We could be sure to anesthetize the older child lest he/she feel any pain from being killed. For that matter, the mom could have all of the born children anesthetized and killed, and then she could give birth and have only one child. Sound reasonable? I mean, if we are OK with killing human beings, then what difference does it make how old they are?
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2022, 12:41 PM
    good grief ! a very good discussion about degenerate vandal's attacks on civilization, devolves again to a discussed to disgust and frequently debated topic ad nauseum (a Latin phrase ).
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2022, 12:43 PM
    I moved it to a new thread.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2022, 12:45 PM
    ad nauseum (a Latin phrase ) -- should be italicized, ad nauseum
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2022, 12:57 PM
    nope .common phrases need not be. In scientific publications it is common to italicize borrowed latin words for genus, species, subspecies, genotypes .et cetera (another latin phrase)But I am not aware of it being generally necessary for other literary or academic usage .

I would imagine it is according to the dictates of the publisher . I have often seen latin used even in scientific context where it is not italicized. the phrase " in vitro "comes immediately to mind.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2022, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I would imagine it is according to the dictates of the publisher .
    Yeah, too many of them are sloppy and and their editors are ignorant of the rules of grammar.
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2022, 02:06 PM
    As is oftentimes the case, Tom is correct.
    Scientific writing often uses a few Latin phrases, either abbreviated (etc. for et cetera and et al. for et alii) or spelt out (in vitro, in vivo, in situ). Should they be set in italics? As is common with such queries, there is no single right or wrong answer, although, increasingly, the trend is to dispense with italics. Most publishers and style guides instruct authors not to use italics for such phrases. Both Springer and Elsevier, for example, insist on setting "in vitro," "in vivo," and "in situ" in normal, or Roman, font, and so does the Chicago Manual of Style and Scientific Style and Format.
    Latin phrases in scientific writing: italics or not | Editage Insights
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2022, 02:40 PM
    That's because they're too lazy to italicize.

Tom's article said, ***On the other hand, the author instructions for The Auk, published by The American Ornithologists' Union, are quite specific with regard to using italics: "Only the following Latin terms should be italicized: in vivo, in vitro, in utero, in situ, ad libitum, a priori, and a posteriori. All other Latin terms (except scientific names) should be left unitalicized." The Oxford Dictionary for Scientific Writers and Editors also insists that in vivo and in vitro should be set in italics.

The only sensible advice in this matter is, therefore, to follow your target journal’s practice.***
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2022, 03:15 PM
    The only sensible advice in this matter is, therefore, to follow your target journal’s practice.***
    Yes, and since "ad nauseum" was not found in your list, and that was the term in question, then wouldn't that make Tom correct? It should not be italicized. Isn't that the conclusion of that "sensible advice"?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2022, 03:19 PM
    Yes, and since "ad nauseum" was not found in your list, and that was the term in question, then that makes Tom correct. It should not be italicized.
    Ad nauseum in a scientific journal???

Why do you enclose it in quote marks? Putting the phrase in italics is much easier. Plus the Romans will like you better.

Bierhäuser shows up in italics too. Gato too.
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2022, 03:27 PM
    I put it in quotes since I was quoting Tom. I thought that was glaringly obvious. And I simply followed your "sensible advice".
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 17, 2022, 03:30 PM
    You're full of Wienerschnitzel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calling ALL Brits [ 85 Answers ]

Have you had ANY bank charges in the last 6 Years ? As you may have noticed from the news and other sources there is a growing movement to reclaim punative charges from the banks. These charges include unauthorised overdraft, declined Direct Debts and bounced cheques, not to mention the...

Calling All Brits - Pt 2 [ 8 Answers ]

Looks like the waiting for the OFT tes case concerning Bank charges could finally be over. Bank charges ruling due on Thursday | Money | guardian.co.uk For our American friends, the UK Banks have been in serious trouble due to the large sums charged for people exceeding their overdrafts....

Song I saw performed on the Brits [ 2 Answers ]

Four guys, flawless performance, came on soon after Nelly Furtado won her award. Who was it and what was the song please?

Way to go Brits & Scotland Yard! [ 28 Answers ]

Major Terror Plot Foiled in Britain: http://www.zeenews.com/znnew/articles.asp?aid=314638&sid=WOR Way to go, mates!

View more questions Search