Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sajid110 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2022, 12:06 PM
    Tax filing status, wife overseas
    Hi,

i am a US Citizen, got married in India in Jan 2022. Wife's I-130 is in process. I need to know if I can select 'married filing jointly' status for this year tax return (filed in April 2023). if possible, how would this work since my wife doesn't have a SSN, etc..

Thank you for your help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 7, 2022, 02:41 PM
    Yes, you can file jointly by applying for an ITIN for your wife, even if she is NOT in the U.S.

This can be a bit tricky, but it is certainly doable. I have done it for multiple clients over the past 20 years.

If you need my professional help, email me at [email protected].
    sajid110 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2022, 05:32 PM
    Thank you for the reply.

So do I need to apply for ITIN now (before dec 31) or can it be done next year as well (before April deadline)?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B - resident alien filing with wife. Filing status for wife ? [ 3 Answers ]

I am an H1B - resident alien. (Nationality-Indian) I got married and my wife moved with me to US during September 2015. My filing status is Resident for both Federal and California What should be my Wife's filing status for Federal / California returns ?

Filing from overseas with foreign wife [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all, first time poster by I've been lurking for a few weeks. I'm preparing for taxes and am puzzled by my options. I'm an American working overseas. I was married last year (2008) to a foreign girl and filed married separate in 2008. I'm considering filing a joint return for 2009 but...

Non-resident filing status when living overseas [ 2 Answers ]

I was a US government employee, civilian, living and working overseas for 2007. Do I pay taxes as a non-resident for CA (where I am registered) or file as a resident even though I was not physically there?

H1B, Non-resident spouse overseas, Filing Status [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have been working in the US on H1B since Aug 2006 (more than a year as of date). Last month, in Dec 2007, I returned to my home country to get married. Subsequently, I came back to US to continue working, while my spouse still remains in the home country as she needs to work. We have plans...

Tax Return Filing Status - Married H1B with Dependents Overseas [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to the US on F1 two years ago. I graduated this summer and will start working in August 2007 under H1B. My wife and son spend most of the time back in home country and only come to the US occasionally. (A couple of months per year tops). Is it true that in this case, my US tax return...

View more questions Search