Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sykes Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2022, 10:09 AM
    non-married couple separating after 20yrs, how best to setup "alimony"
    Hi,

I am separating from my partner of 20 years. I understand that I have no legal obligation to provide for my partner since my state does not recognize common law marriage, but I would like to get them set up as my income is higher than theirs.

I have two goals

1. that my help can be used by a bank when determining the loan amount for my partner's mortgage, and:
    2. there are no taxes on the help I give

- I have no problem having a contract drawn up, which the bank could use as proof of income, but I understand that would be taxable.
    - I could just give them gifts, but gifts would more than likely not be seen as income by a lender.

I'm not sure if I have other options. Could I set up a trust? I assume there would be significant costs involved with a Trust though.

Do I have any options? Or does the IRS see separation payments as alimony, which I understand is not taxable?

Sorry for the question that touches on legal, mortgage, and taxes.

Thank you for any insight.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 7, 2022, 02:42 PM
    This is more a LEGAL question than a tax question, so I suggest you post this question in the LAW portion of AskMeHelpDesk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lyrics "now the rain." " I was watching for the people"... "started to pray"... [ 1 Answers ]

This was a song that used to play on 'western music' in early 90's. It was sung by a male with a chorus... can someone help me please...

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

"F" keys not working to enter BIOS on setup. [ 13 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, It's been awhile since I've been on AMHD. Kind of doing the Marine thing now. Anyway I am working on a friends computer but the "F" keys won't allow me to enter the BIOS on startup. I am re-installing a new OS and she can't remember her login password so I can't do it that way....

Setup for Verizon DSL - "Phone Jack" [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone, This is my first post/question -- I just moved into a new apartment (not a newly constructed building), and I am hoping to subscribe to Verizon DSL (Rhode Island) without paying the $130 "Complete Jack Package." The website shows that: "In order for your Internet modem to work,...

View more questions Search