Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2022, 01:06 PM
    NY AG Letitia James sorta kept a campaign promise today
    I wrote this May of last year .

Letitia James based her campaign on the premise that she would prosecute Trump .She should be recused .

The Future of Donald Trump (askmehelpdesk.com)

She woulda if she coulda frog marched him to Riker's Island . But she had no case . So today she opted to file a 200 page detailed civil complaint against Trump ;his children ,and his "little dog too"

It is beautifully timed . Give Trump a couple weeks to file motions to dismiss and viola ;it is fresh news a couple weeks before the elections . No politics there !

There is almost zero chance the case is heard until after the elections .... mission accomplished .

I have only skimmed the complaint . But what sticks out is that there is no obvious mention of anyone suffering damages .

Oh I'm sure she will extract through some sorta minor settlement so she can claim victory . But let's be clear . She wanted to open a major artery .She may manage to inflict a good paper cut .

This is the abuse of the legal system that has been labeled as ' lawfare ' (the use of the law or institutions of law to damage or delegitimize a political opponent It is also a way for repressive regimes to repress civil and constitutional rights )

The Dems have been using this tactic heavily this year at national and at state levels

Maybe Repub AGs should take lessons .

Bottom line ..... she accuses him of deflating or inflating the values of his properties depending on him either securing loans or paying taxes . Well banks do due diligence and have independent appraisals of property before granting loans . His taxes have been scrutinized and audited every way imaginable by taxing authorities .

Nothing there
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2022, 02:34 PM
    Bottom line ..... she accuses him of deflating or inflating the values of his properties depending on him either securing loans or paying taxes . Well banks do due diligence and have independent appraisals of property before granting loans .
    What??? He tried to inflate the value of a property he was trying to sell? Whoever heard of such a thing?

Caveat emptor
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2022, 03:32 PM
    guilty I tried to sell my home for $25,000 more than what it sold for
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2022, 03:56 AM
    interesting to note that none of the banks involved have joined in the suit . I believe if they thought they were defrauded that they would sue .Truth be told I can't find anyone who is claiming damages in the pages I read.

Bill Barr ;who has become a big critic of Trump's post Presidency conduct called the law suit a 'gross overreach' 'political hit job' that will end up 'backfiring,' because it will increase sympathy for Trump. He even called it TDS and an 'abuse of office' by James .

Bill Barr Blasts Letitia James for Involving Trump Children in Lawsuit (newsweek.com)
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2022, 05:13 AM
    Think about it ; if this can happen to Trump then what will happen when the IRS is staffed with an additional 87,000 employees ?

Remember the ad on the IRS letterhead said that the applicant must be willing to work 50 hours per week, which may include irregular hours, and be on call 24/7, including holidays and weekends, plus carry a firearm and be willing to use deadly force, if necessary. It also states that the applicant "must be willing and able to participate in arrests, execution of search warrants, and other dangerous assignments.
    IRS_Job_Posting-2.webp (450×874) (rocketcdn.me)
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2022, 04:15 AM
    Do you think the poll numbers for James reelection campaign have something to do with her decision to sue Trump ?

NY-General-Poll-Report-0913.pdf (thetrafalgargroup.org)

As a Dem in the bluest of blue states her reelection should be a slam dunk. She should not be behind at this point.

Perhaps the reason for the lag is that the hopelessly Dem supporting electorate in the state remember her campaign promises to get Trump in a
    Lavrentiy Beria, (head of Joseph Stalin’s secret police) way .

"Show me the man and I'll show you the crime ".

Persist they must .Having not found anything to criminally prosecute him with ,even after she claimed she had the evidence ;she is resorting to a civil action . He has been investigated and audited by everyone who wants to get him. The only examination they have not preformed is a proctology exam ;and his enemies are lining up with gloved hands for that .

Uber Member

Sep 26, 2022, 04:35 AM
    Persist they must .Having not found anything to criminally prosecute him with ,even after she claimed she had the evidence ;she is resorting to a civil action .
    I suppose lying has always been a problem in politics, but it seems to be so widespread now among dems that it's alarming. Biden's press sec claimed recently on The View that the repubs wanted to ban all abortions nationwide. Five supposed journalists sat there, heard that, and proceeded to say nothing in the way of challenging that lie of a statement. There is so little regard now for the value of truth.
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2022, 04:41 AM
    NYC got what they wanted .......a shakedown of the Trump business in NY to the tune of $1.6 million in fines because some Trump execs failed to report perks on their income taxes. People of NY should ask how much $$$$ it took to take this case to trial ? ??????That they didn't charge Trump or any family member tells you former CFO Allen Weisselberg was a lone actor in any fraud .

This was not the James civil complaint . That is a separate shakedown
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2022, 05:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    NYC got what they wanted ..... People of NY should ask how much $$$$ it took to take this case to trial ? ??????
    Investigation and prosecution and convictions for crime does not depend on the cost.

That they didn't charge Trump or any family member tells you former CFO Allen Weisselberg was a lone actor in any fraud
    Everything Weisselberg did was fully known and fully authorized by Trump. The broader investigation by the NY DA is ongoing. Donald, Ivanka, Eric, and Jr. have been warned. Talk about a crime family - the term is literally DEFINED by the Trump family!

Ivanka has served notice she doesn't want any part of the Trump game anymore. You're too late, Ivanka.
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2022, 05:42 AM
    Everything Weisselberg did was fully known and fully authorized by Trump.
    I guess it would be asking too much to ask how you know this. How does a person "authorize" another person's non-payment of taxes?
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2022, 06:20 AM
    I guess it would be asking too much to ask how you know this. How does a person "authorize" another person's non-payment of taxes?
    Because he said so , He cut a deal with the prosecution.
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2022, 06:22 AM
    Weisselberg testified that Trump knew of all of this?
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2022, 06:33 AM
    Well not exactly . . Weisselberg attempted to take responsibility on the witness stand, saying nobody in the Trump family knew what he was doing.
    “It was my own personal greed that led to this,” an emotional Weisselberg testified.But prosecutor Joshua Steinglass alleged in his closing that Trump “knew exactly what was going on” and was “explicitly sanctioning tax fraud.”
    Trump Organization found guilty of tax fraud in scheme hatched by top executives | PBS NewsHour
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2022, 06:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Well not exactly . . Weisselberg attempted to take responsibility on the witness stand, saying nobody in the Trump family knew what he was doing.
    “It was my own personal greed that led to this,” an emotional Weisselberg testified.But prosecutor Joshua Steinglass alleged in his closing that Trump “knew exactly what was going on” and was “explicitly sanctioning tax fraud.”
    Trump Organization found guilty of tax fraud in scheme hatched by top executives | PBS NewsHour
    Thanks Tomder. I admire and respect you when you tell the truth even tho it's not exactly in your favor.
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2022, 06:55 AM
    So we "know" this because the prosecutor alleged it was true? And yet Weisselberg testified under oath it was not true? And that is how we "know" such things?

Hmmm.
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2023, 04:14 AM
    Turns out that the banks that loaned Trump money were not so concerned about exaggerations about the value of the properties . They wanted to loan Trump the money . They did not lose money in the deal ;and they wanted Trump to continue being their client .

“Is the bank capable of reaching its own judgment based on the evaluation it makes of the guarantor’s financial condition?” Trump attorney Jesus Suarez asked.
    “Certainly, yes,” bank executive David Williams said.
    Bank Executive Says Loan to Trump Was Not Unusual - Analyzing America

One document introduced at the trial showed revenue from doing business with Trump’s companies climbed to over $6 million in 2013 from $13,000 in 2011

‘She’s Asking For A Nuclear Option’: Jonathan Turley Reacts To ‘Breathtaking’ Demands From NY AG In Trump Case | The Daily Caller

I don't know the tax implications but it is hard to make a case for defraud when there was no victim.

Jonathan Turley sums up the testimony to date .

“You’ve got this New York law that allows James to proceed against Trump even though no one lost any money, even though banks didn’t complain, and on that basis, she’s asking for a nuclear option,”
    “She is basically trying to end the role of the corporation of New York, taking away certificates and imposing a quarter of a billion dollars in damages for money that was not lost.”
    “So these guys get on the stand and they said, look, you know, estimates differ. You don’t rely on those estimates,”
    “You rely on your own estimates, but they also said we made money here and then we tried to get more loans with the Trumps. They described Trump as being a whale client, someone you really want and the disconnect of that testimony with what James is seeking is really breathtaking.”

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

the results are in .....sorta [ 22 Answers ]

The DC Medical Examiner Dr. Francisco Diaz, released the following causes of deaths for those who died January 6 during the Capitol riot. Ashlie Babbitt died from a gunshot wound from an unidentified Capitol Police officer who shot her at point blank range as she tried to climb into the...

Did Evita's campaign illegally launder $84 million in campaign funds ? [ 14 Answers ]

That is what a filing in the DC circuit court claims . http://thefederalist.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/feccomplaint.pdf Here is how the scheme worked . They would use State Dem chapters to circumvent campaign donation limits and launder the money back to the national campaign. The...

I am having bad pains in my ab region today. It just started today. I am 18 years old [ 1 Answers ]

I am having bad pains in my ab region today. It just started today. I am 18 years old, 5'11. 185. And male. I have had a complete loss of appetite today, and from the second I woke up have felt pains in my ab region. Sometimes in my right side and in the mid region too. I have gone to the doctor...

Hooking up with random guys while in kinda-sorta long distance relationship. [ 20 Answers ]

Hi: I met a guy online, he lives about 5 hours away from me. We have become very close talking on the phone nearly every day. I have stressed to him how much I would like to meet, and seeing as we live within driving distance, I'm a bit sad that it's been nearly 4 months and we haven't met. He...

The Republican campaign [ 55 Answers ]

Conservatives and Republicans Does the endorsement of Mitt Romney by National Review (long time publication founded by William Buckley ) mean anything to you ? Will it have any influence on who you support ?

View more questions Search