Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2022, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    When did I do that?
    Wow - welcome back!! I thought you fell off the ends of the earth.

When you wrote the following, "Since the Bible is a book all about an almighty God deliberately intervening in that framework and doing things that are contrary to what we would call "common sense", that's not going to be the best way to approach it.", I took it to mean any discussion about God referencing common sense (i.e., rational discourse) would be subject to the greater idea of an almighty God intervening, which I understand to be a position from faith.

I am not denying faith. I just want to be clear when faith is offered as the definitive reason/answer for a discussion about something in the Bible.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2022, 09:27 PM
    Sorry, stuff has been happening. She went public with it so it's okay to tell, my oldest daughter checked herself into a mental hospital. She's extremely ADHD like me, and she hasn't been able to get medication for over a year because of expletive expletive insurance. She took one job especially to get the insurance because it covered mental health, then learned that they had ONE facility for mental health, that facility had ONE doctor, and the waiting list could stretch from here to the sun. Because of her mental health issues, she lost that job fairly quickly. Fact is, she went through four jobs in a year because she can't get her mind under control.

She finally got onto Medicaid, but it doesn't cover outpatient therapy. It does, however, cover inpatient therapy. Figure that one out if you want to give yourself a headache. She's been having suicidal thoughts, so when she mentioned that they accepted her right away. She'll probably be there for a week or so.

I'm bust-my-buttons proud of her. She did this all on her own. She knew she had to do something, she navigated the ungodly maze of state government insurance, worked the system, and is getting what she needs. That's my little girl! She is beyond awesome!
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2022, 04:51 AM
    Very sorry to hear of your struggles, and yet glad to hear of your daughter's courage. Paul's prayer from Romans is what I pray for her. "I pray that the God who gives hope will fill you with much joy and peace as you trust in him. Then you will have more and more hope, and it will flow out of you by the power of the Holy Spirit."
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2022, 09:26 AM
    JL:
    I'll pass that along to her, thanks!
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2022, 06:19 PM
    They already cut her loose. They don't give stimulants in-house, and that's the only treatment they can think of for ADHD. I don't understand, because there are lots of others. Today there are meds that specifically target ADHD.
    I tried Ritalin one time. By this time I had been diagnosed but wasn't on any medication. One of my daughters was taking Ritalin so I tried one. I do not intend to do that again. It made me so violent I had to call my wife at work and tell her not to come home until I let her know it was safe, because I had no idea what i was capable of. It was one of the most horrible experiences I've ever had. Antidepressants work best on me, and I've been using one or another to keep my two-edged gift under control since 1993. I expect to be on something for the rest of my life, because with the medication I can have a life.
    Anyway, Naomi is back home, and they did give her a long list of doctors that take her insurance and should be able to get her set up with consistent care. So it wasn't a waste of time.
    I say "home"; she actually lives in Everett, about an hour and a half north of here. Officially she's staying for an extended visit (don't you love semantics?). But they gave her the names of doctors in both places, and we don't care which town she finds one in. We'll make it work. So the Doctor Derby is officially beginning. Come on, doctors, get some of that sweet insurance money.
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2022, 08:22 PM
    I went through a period of terrible emotional darkness about forty years ago. It lasted for a couple of years. God gave me a scripture that carried me in many ways. It is in Psalm 27. "I would have despaired if I had not believed I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the Lord."

There were many hard days ahead, but that carried me. It gave me hope. I often think that hope is the most precious spiritual commodity we have. Give a person hope and they can endure. I can now say that Jesus is my hope in a more blessed way than ever before, and I say that while facing challenges on several fronts, but it's all OK since I will see God's goodness in the land of the living.

Love her name. "Naomi".
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2022, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    They already cut her loose. They don't give stimulants in-house, and that's the only treatment they can think of for ADHD. I don't understand, because there are lots of others. Today there are meds that specifically target ADHD.
    I tried Ritalin one time. By this time I had been diagnosed but wasn't on any medication. One of my daughters was taking Ritalin so I tried one. I do not intend to do that again. It made me so violent I had to call my wife at work and tell her not to come home until I let her know it was safe, because I had no idea what i was capable of. It was one of the most horrible experiences I've ever had. Antidepressants work best on me, and I've been using one or another to keep my two-edged gift under control since 1993. I expect to be on something for the rest of my life, because with the medication I can have a life.
    Anyway, Naomi is back home, and they did give her a long list of doctors that take her insurance and should be able to get her set up with consistent care. So it wasn't a waste of time.
    I say "home"; she actually lives in Everett, about an hour and a half north of here. Officially she's staying for an extended visit (don't you love semantics?). But they gave her the names of doctors in both places, and we don't care which town she finds one in. We'll make it work. So the Doctor Derby is officially beginning. Come on, doctors, get some of that sweet insurance money.
    DW, I stopped by to see if you had replied, and was shocked and surprised to read about your situation. Please don't concern yourself about our original discussion as you deal with far more important matters.

Your posts are very clear and detailed and show good progress for your daughter. That's great. All of us here at AMHD are thinking of you and your daughter and sending both of you good vibes and prayers.

Please check in from time to time and let us know how you and Naomi are doing.

PS - I had no idea Ritalin could have such a terrible side effect like you experienced.
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2022, 07:23 AM
    As it was explained to me, Ritalin has a decidedly different effect on adults than it has on children.
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2022, 08:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    As it was explained to me, Ritalin has a decidedly different effect on adults than it has on children.
    Thank you - very interesting.
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2022, 08:26 AM
    It came from the old principal days. I always felt a little ill at ease over the use of those meds. They did seem to generally work, but we sometimes ended up with overactive kids becoming a little too zombie like. As a teacher, I'd much rather have over-active.
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2022, 07:44 PM
    jlisenbe
    That's as may be, I don't know. I know a lot of ADD adults have taken it since childhood and continue to. We know as much about the actual inner workings of the brain as we know about Martian ducks. That's why treatment tends to be a scatter-gun approach. Or to use a more modern colloquialism, you throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. That's pretty much where Naomi is.
    And I'm exhausted enough that I've forgotten what the topic was, so I'm bowing out.
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2022, 08:59 PM
    God bless you and your daughter. I have a daughter as well, and I understand very well the heart of a father. I assure you I know how you feel. My heart goes out to you both.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Before Jesus [ 84 Answers ]

The question came to my mind after reading an email from my friend who is non-Christian. In the email he said that people were going to heaven even before Christ came on this earth. I know that there is no way we can go to heaven except through Jesus. I do not doubt it. Just curious to know that...

In Jesus's name, or not [ 75 Answers ]

Hello Christians: Does it diminish a prayer if the prayer leader ends it with just a plain Amen, instead of "in the name of Jesus, Amen"? I ask, because as I watch the NASCAR race, I'm offended when they pray to Jesus. It kind of leaves ME OUT. I don't like to be left out. I've also...

Who is Jesus to you? [ 175 Answers ]

Just wanted to get people's opinion of who Jesus is to you and why you feel the way you do? No trick, just want to discuss...

There never was a Jesus? God? [ 165 Answers ]

I'm an atheist and have been since I was very young. I always had a great argument due to being brought up in a religious home, but never had the answer as to how religion came into play. My friend brought this video over to my house and it seemed a little boring at first, then about ten minutes...

Jesus [ 17 Answers ]

When did jesus learn he was christ?

View more questions Search